XDrive

Status
Not open for further replies.

cheesypoofs

Jun 21, 2003
Singapore
Visit site
Hi everyone
can anyone tell me if the new XDrive Pro has better copying function (error correction etc) ? I have an XDrive II and 1 major problem that I faced was that when copying a card, it halts halfway due to an error. I have to hit the copy button each time it happens, until the card is fully copied. This is pretty annoying and it drains the battery a lot. :dunno:

cheesypoofs said:
Hi everyone
can anyone tell me if the new XDrive Pro has better copying function (error correction etc) ? I have an XDrive II and 1 major problem that I faced was that when copying a card, it halts halfway due to an error. I have to hit the copy button each time it happens, until the card is fully copied. This is pretty annoying and it drains the battery a lot. :dunno:

strange. I've used both an XDrive I and XDrive Pro, both of which never exhibited any problems. I suppose the XDrive II will be just as reliable. The Pro does not have any special verification or "better" copy function.

Its possible your CF card some some bad "sectors". You might want to check out your CF card and try doing a FULL FORMAT ( as opposed to a quick format ) on your PC. Then, reformat it again in your camera, and see if you still have errors.

according to my fren, the best way is to put ur xdrive on a flat ground and leave it alone when doing a copy-over. sometimes, the hdd will have copying errors when jolted. mebbe dats the problem with ur set? :dunno:

hi, i'm interested in getting one of these x-drive. which is the best place to get and how much it cost and which brand?

can i use it as a normal harddisk and back-up my documents?

thanks!

whynot said:
hi, i'm interested in getting one of these x-drive. which is the best place to get and how much it cost and which brand?

can i use it as a normal harddisk and back-up my documents?

thanks!

eh... x-drive is not a hdd per se. actually, its a hdd with a card reader cover. it's meant for pics. can check out www.eastgear.com to see what i mean.

u can transfer docs into ur xdrive. but, u need to write them into one of the storage cards (CF, MS, MMC, SD, xD etc) and then copy them into the xdrive. but, kinda funny if u do dat hor?? :think:

if u wish to buy one, check out eastgear. or else, go to sim lim and get a 3rd party type. usually sell in a bundle. min 20GB hdd and xdrive will cost $300+.

thanks nightwolf75!

X-drive and Nixvue - which one is better?
i would be travelling for long period of time and would not have access to any pc to tsf my pics...so would need a very reliable product...

whynot said:
thanks nightwolf75!

X-drive and Nixvue - which one is better?
i would be travelling for long period of time and would not have access to any pc to tsf my pics...so would need a very reliable product...

hey, no problem! i'm a user of a 3rd party "x-drive" type of device. mine's from a taiwanese manufacturer. got it ard $200 from sim lim without a hdd. i've got smaller 2nd-hand hdd, so din want to buy one.

for the 2 products, check out these sites from steve's digicams.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2001_reviews/nixvue.html
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/xdrive-vp300.html

actually, on the mrkt there are a few types. if you want to preview ur download shots, i think eastgear carries 1 model. can't remember the name of it tho. as for reliability, most of these products dun like hard shocks as they are just a plastic shell wrapping a hdd. try look for one product which comes with a carrying case. for battery life, most of them use li-ion batt. mine lasts for 9hrs on 1 charge (and dats for using it continously. obviously users won't, rite?? :bsmilie: ).

Nixvue has a "copy & verify" function while the X's-Drive doesn't have. I have been using the first generation X's-Drive and so far no problem... The problem with the 1st gen model is that the transfer speed is slow. Compared to the X's-Drive II, it is between heaven and earth :cry:

Hello Nightwolf, may I know where did you get the 3rd party "x-drive" type of device, what is the band? Thanks a lot!!

nightwolf75 said:
hey, no problem! i'm a user of a 3rd party "x-drive" type of device. mine's from a taiwanese manufacturer. got it ard $200 from sim lim without a hdd. i've got smaller 2nd-hand hdd, so din want to buy one.

for the 2 products, check out these sites from steve's digicams.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2001_reviews/nixvue.html
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/xdrive-vp300.html

actually, on the mrkt there are a few types. if you want to preview ur download shots, i think eastgear carries 1 model. can't remember the name of it tho. as for reliability, most of these products dun like hard shocks as they are just a plastic shell wrapping a hdd. try look for one product which comes with a carrying case. for battery life, most of them use li-ion batt. mine lasts for 9hrs on 1 charge (and dats for using it continously. obviously users won't, rite?? :bsmilie: ).

Status
Not open for further replies.