Wrong Buy: Casio Exilim Z120

Status
Not open for further replies.

vette

Jul 22, 2006
Hey everyone,

I just bought a Casio Exilim Z120 and I'm deeply saddened over my purchase. Main reason is, it is not recognised on my Macbook OS X 10.4 & the PhotoLoader software is not OS X compatible. The reason why I feel extremely sh**ty is: I was a proud owner of a Canon A80 and I loved it so much but it has died. Thus I'm quite perplexed why I chose to buy Casio and not Canon. Or any other brand for that matter.

Questions:
1. For a budget of $500, what cameras can I consider? I take about the same ratio of indoor and outdoor shots; I want a Manual mode as well as presets; OS X compatible; size is not an issue
2. What can I do with this Z120? I just bought it yesterday at Best Denki. Do you think I can can exchange it? *gah! i feel so stupid*

I would really appreciate your suggestions. Thanks!

why don't you buy a usb card reader that's mac compatible? then all you need to do is connect the card reader to your computer, take the memory card from the camera and slot it in. no need any special software.

Sheesh, man. My spirits are elevated already. I'll definitely buy the USB card reader.

Thank you so much, Pai! You've given me a gleam of hope!

hey!
dun be saddened over ur purchase~

the Z120 is MIJ
and its quite a good price for a digicam with manual controls...
ISO can go up to 1600...
and if i'm not wrong, the sensor size is 1/1.8,
bigger than the 1/2.5 sensor in some of the other casio models... :thumbsup:

cheers pal~ ;)

IForYou said:
hey!
dun be saddened over ur purchase~

the Z120 is MIJ
and its quite a good price for a digicam with manual controls...
ISO can go up to 1600...
and if i'm not wrong, the sensor size is 1/1.8,
bigger than the 1/2.5 sensor in some of the other casio models... :thumbsup:

cheers pal~ ;)

wow, then sell it away veri bo hua, and the USB suggestion is the best

Vette, is yours an SD card? If so, i think you get a free card reader with any lexar sd card purchase at eastgear so give it a shot. No biggie if your mac can't recognise the camera. So long as it can recognise the SD card via a card reader you're good to go.

BTW I use a mac too, so really no worries there.

I took a quick look at the specs of the camera; it supposedly has about 9MB of built-in memory and a slot for external SD/MMC. So to use the USB card reader approach, you need to set the camera to always use the external memory.

I think the camera can also be set up as a mass-storage class device, so that when you plug it into the computer it should get recognized as a new hard drive. You should then be able to directly access the images from the Mac. (If I'm not mistaken, one should be able to "import images" from iPhoto on Mac.)

Lastly, since it's within a day or two of the purchase, maybe you should just take it back to Best Denki and ask for something...

All the best!

G-man: Yup, I'm using SD card. Wow, definitely cool to get a free card reader (since I haven't bought one yet)! By the way, where's Eastgear?

ah.zeep: I did set the camera to mass-storage. So.. :dunno: Anyway, thanks for going thru the specs to help me out!

IForYou & compro_1975: Agree with you guys! I'm beginning to like the camera especially because of the flexibility in the manual control. I don't think I'm selling or exchanging it. ;p

Thanks, everyone, for your suggestions!

eastgear is at peninsular level 2. i think got 1 escalator go up then turn left.....

Status
Not open for further replies.