Would you donate blood now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
jsbn said:
The Blood Centre at HSA is something like ur central bank, a central repositary for blood for hospitals.

Blood donations at hospitals I believe are specific to ppl. U muz state name, IC number and so on. However, if ur blood is not suitable for the receiptent, it would not be given to him anyway but used by other ppl. There ain't no such thing as, "Oh, my friend is in SGH and den I go TTSH to donate blood to him."

If u have the heart to help, go all the way. Dun do things halfway.

I stand corrected on my information abt paitent-specific blood donation.

It's not about being half hearted.

When you work at 1 end of the island the the hospital is at the other end of the island plus
the blood centre closing at 5pm, it's not possible to donate blood even with a mad dash to hospital after work.

If the HSA is a central depository, they must have a delivery service to all the hospitals on the island. Riding on the service just spells convenience that's all.

I could pop into the nearest blood centre during lunch time to extract a pack of blood and it can reached the designated recipient in a day or two.

All right, since such service is not available, it would be empty talk after all.

Chris Lim said:
Guys, just been told by my sis who is a doctor. Due to the low blood supplies, some patients who are deemed not on the need for immediate surgery have been put on hold because of the blood type O+ and sth else i cant remember what. So if can please try to donate ya? =) :sweatsm:

yeah... blood group O+ and B+ low in supply. i cant help on that :cry: i'm a A+.
anyway, i still donate regularly. so far i think 14times already :cool: hoping to hit 20 by next year. got a little medal thingy for the 10th time, think 20th or 25th will get another little recognition. hehehe.

lil_princess said:
I thought its the one at Carnhill :bsmilie:
Pardon me but since I don't club often, is there really a pub in Carnhill that goes by this name?

maybe, is it 'Cun_hill?

jsbn said:
Pardon me but since I don't club often, is there really a pub in Carnhill that goes by this name?

this is not new news. it is already in the opening post.

Chris Lim said:
Guys, just been told by my sis who is a doctor. Due to the low blood supplies, some patients who are deemed not on the need for immediate surgery have been put on hold because of the blood type O+ and sth else i cant remember what. So if can please try to donate ya? =) :sweatsm:

Wah. You need to go online to book for an appointment to donate blood now... So high tech. Need to make appointment to avoid disappointment. :D Going tomorrow with some colleagues.:thumbsup:

Hi all, some info for you ppl:

1) You don't (usually) donate to a specific person directly. The blood must match very closely before it is given to a patient. This is more than matching the usual A+ or B+ grouping. What happens is that if a patient X needs 4 pints (packets) of blood, he/she needs to find 4 donors to replace the matched blood that will be given to him/her.

2) As someone mentioned, the cost charged to the patient receiving the blood is the cost for collecting, processing and storing the blood. The patient is not charged for the blood per se.

3) They will not accept your blood if you have blood disorders e.g. Thalassaemia, G6PD deficiency. I do not know if you can just go to donate platelets without an appointment as this special procedure requires a special machine to separate the platelets from the rest of the cells which are then returned to the donor.

4) Yes, you can loose weight quickly by donating blood, about 0.5kg each time :). However, you will gain it all back in about 2 weeks :(

5) More info can be found at:

http://www.hsa.gov.sg/html/consumer/ctm_important_message.html

Do support a good cause!

espn said:
Yes. They charge by the packets IIRC.

However, if (touch wood) you end up back there yourself, they write off the packets you used based on the number of packets you donated yourself.

They normally take 3 test tubes more of blood to test prior to using your blood. You have to fill up a questionaire also before you donate.

HUH?? We donate blood to the Hospital that turns around and sells it??

centuryegg said:
HUH?? We donate blood to the Hospital that turns around and sells it??
Please read post#69, info #2. Thanks! :)

-------------

I might try arrange for a blood donation outing in Feb, after Chinese New Year season.
Most likely to be a Sat afternoon (around 2pm).
Those interested, kindly start staying healthy, and refrain from medication like paracetamol if u have minor headaches, etc, the week after CNY.

Cheers! :D

lil_princess said:
Anyway before you guys think of donating, if you have multiple sex partners or what, you got to declare it in the form.... :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Even with ex girlfriends? I thought only if you engage prostitute service?

multiple partners include all.

popeye said:
Even with ex girlfriends? I thought only if you engage prostitute service?

dolpjki said:
I might try arrange for a blood donation outing in Feb, after Chinese New Year season.
Most likely to be a Sat afternoon (around 2pm).
Those interested, kindly start staying healthy, and refrain from medication like paracetamol if u have minor headaches, etc, the week after CNY.

Cheers! :D
I am willing to volunteer myself. :D

kayheem said:
Hi all, some info for you ppl:

They will not accept your blood if you have blood disorders e.g. Thalassaemia, G6PD deficiency. I do not know if you can just go to donate platelets without an appointment as this special procedure requires a special machine to separate the platelets from the rest of the cells which are then returned to the donor.

http://www.hsa.gov.sg/html/consumer/ctm_important_message.html

Do support a good cause!
Actually you can donate platelets without the special machine. Only different is they will extract the platelets from the blood then throw away the blood. They will seek your permission first and it is for you to decide.

Ola said:
Actually you can donate platelets without the special machine. Only different is they will extract the platelets from the blood then throw away the blood. They will seek your permission first and it is for you to decide.
if they draw out your whole blood, u can only donate once every 3 months. if they draw out only the platelets, you can donate once a month. that goes the same to plasma donation.:)

juz an update to those who are available to donate at Orchard area, there's a mobile drive held at Orchard on 11th Feb (sat), 11am - 5pm:

Royal Plaza on Scotts
25 Scotts Road, Scottswalk
Meeting Room on 2nd level(Claymore & Orchard Room)
(Nearest MRT Station:Orchard)

AReality said:
If one can lose weight by donating, i'm sure there'll be a lot more keen people.

lil_princess said:
I'll be the first in line!

Well, there are a few reasons why I'd like to donate blood.

Used to do it during my polytechnic and active NSF days... where I'd donate blood one day, and top it out with a hard interval workout session the same evening. Rationale being, the interval workout would really stress out the body to work on lower levels of oxygen; and then the bonus is that the body would produce new blood cells that are more efficient... at least to replace the ones donated away.

I remember my primary school teacher telling me eons ago, that donation of blood is good because it is routine for the body to dump old cells anyway, and that donation would create a surge of new blood cells, which IS good for your body.

Potentially save a life, and get myself heartier for health, why not?

Now I'm a bit freer, probably will go down to the blood bank sometime this week. Been lagging on my blood donation schedule...my last donation was March last year. :embrass:

After work every day, so tired, there's really little incentive to go out of the way to wherever the mobile blood donation drive may be and donate blood. Probably more public awareness will help. It would be more effective to target specifically to schools, Army/Police/CD camps (lots of able-bodied men = lots of healthy blood :p) and big companies rather than just the general public.

For those who are afraid of pain, rest assured blood donation is a relatively painless procedure. If you're afraid, just tell the friendly nurses, and they will distract you by chatting with you. :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.