Would you correct someone's grammar or answer his photography question?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eh which part? The tolerant with bad English part, the reading post several times to try to understand it part, or ask them to polish up their English part? ;)

Aiya it's only an "urge" only lar, not that I'm really going to ask them to polish up their English. :sweat:

As someone said, we should have an open
mind whether you are moderator or not.

People who want to see improvement in the
English language or whatever skills or task are
persistent. They are always motivated by people
who gaive them encouragement.

Albert Einstein was called a slow learner, retarded,
and somehow some fools write him off as
uneducatable and so forth.

Let there be more tolerance to participants
including myself in this forum to the use of the
English language.

At least it is better here than those at HWZ.!

:);)

As someone said, we should have an open
mind whether you are moderator or not.

People who want to see improvement in the
English language or whatever skills or task are
persistent. They are always motivated by people
who gaive them encouragement.

Albert Einstein was called a slow learner, retarded,
and somehow some fools write him off as
uneducatable and so forth.

Let there be more tolerance to participants
including myself in this forum to the use of the
English language.

At least it is better here than those at HWZ.!

:);)

Eh since this is directed towards me, please refer to post #32. I had already said I'm tolerant against bad English. I'm in no way looking for perfect English here, but there should be a limit. Words are used for communication. When the language is so bad that the communication fails, it is definitely time for the poster to buckle up.

Since the medium of communication on Clubsnap is written English, I think it would be an ideal, but probably not achievable, situation for people to write grammatically correct sentences. It's fair enough that someone is weak in English and doesn't know the correct form, but I think that it's a very callous attitude to have when one says things like "we're Singaporean, so we should speak in Singlish". There's a difference between Singlish and bad English, and usually the latter is more prevalant.

The most common example I can think of is Lens (len) and Lenses (lens).
I think there's no harm in making a comment at the end of the post, such as "by the way, you spelt it wrongly. It's Lens, not Len. There's no such thing as a Len"
but usually such a comment will be greeted by "this is a photographic forum, not an English forum"

~shrug~

If you see someone posting a question in the forum in bad grammar, would you blast him about his command of the language even though you understand what he is trying to explain?

as long as i understand what he is trying to say, it'd be fine... i'd just answer his question, am not an english or whatsoever language authority... so, i don't see a need for me to blast him/her just because of a wrong grammar.

Last edited:
i lurn mai kitteh meowz fr lolcat.com
iz gud
no roolz.. hahaha tiklz?
excep gurlz wif cheezburger allowed
iz wurkz too!

it depends.

if he posts like this:

hAi~~~** ebErioNe, i aM xIaOmIng aNd i nEEd halP wiF dIs qUeStiOn dE~~~ hEhExxXx

if he posts like this:

hai butties, i go gai gai at ruckyplaza and wan 2 buy lens har

if he posts like this:

hi everbody, i is new here and i want to pick up photography. what advice does you guys have?

for #1, it's plain irritating.

ditto for #2, it sounds like a teletubby speaking, and it should stay in EDMW where it belongs.

for #3, i would not correct him, and i would help him if his question is something substantially hard to find on the internet with google, or he has tried, but he doesn't seem be able to digest what he has read.

I agree with you totally.

EDMW / act cute style are really irritating.
eg. "If chiu becum" instead of "if you become"

I frequent another forum aquaticquotient.com, and the moderators take effort to discourage SMS lingo in all postings. :thumbsup:

i think we can all afford to be a little be more accommodating, be it with mistakes like 'len' or 'marco'

quite often we are in a position to correct, but we don't have to be obnoxious and sarcastic about it.

on this topic, i think that sometimes newbies can be instructed more gently at times- especially with how to improve on their shots (which may be far from the mark)... we were all n00bs once.

at least, i'm a newbie.

LOL

I had remarked that Virgo was a pedant for directly correcting my post word by word in a tongue-in-cheek statement and duly received a 5 points penalty for minor guideline violation from Ortega for it. :bsmilie: :sweat:

Last edited:
I wouldn't tell him openly on the Forum about the mistakes he has made but I will send him a PM. If he appreciates and learns from there, good. Otherwise, so be it. I am just trying to be helpful and share with him what I know :)

I had remarked that Virgo was a pedant for directly correcting my post word by word in a tongue-in-cheek statement and duly received a 5 points penalty for minor guideline violation from Ortega for it. :bsmilie: :sweat:

I didn't realize that there was a point-penalty system on Clubsnap... like a driving license demerit point system?

hmmm...what about the word Kopitiam?
"Kopitiam" is a proper term in Singapore English in that it is borrowed from Hokkien and added to the vocabulary of Singapore English.

I agree with ZerocoolAstra in that there's a difference between Singlish and "bad" English, and if there is an urge to correct, let that be focused on "bad", ungrammatical, English rather than Singlish. :)

hmmm...what about the word Kopitiam?

I would classify "kopitiam" as a Singlish word. It has significance to our Singaporean lifestyle.
To use the word 'kopitiam' in a sentence is totally appropriate.

The Singlish vs Bad English debate:

"I went to the kopitiam at the ground floor of my block, for a cup of kopi" would be ok.

"I go my block downstairs kopitiam to get a kopi", though essentially having the same meaning, would be grammatically wrong.

"I go my block downstairs kopitiam to get a kopi", though essentially having the same meaning, would be grammatically wrong.

jia lat liao. i no see wad is wrong wif on top words. i speak real singlish oredi oh!

i say "i go downstairs my block kopitiam lim kopi", can?

Last edited:
wildcat said:
jia lat liao. i no see wad is wrong wif on top words. i speak real singlish oredi oh!

i say "i go downstairs my block kopitiam lim kopi", can?

I totally understand that sentence ;) But... it depends on the audience I guess.... clubsnap does have a lot of non-Singaporean members.

anyway, your standard of English is very good...! I remember, when we spoke at the sunrise outing... :) Don't pretend...!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.