Windows Vista

Will you use Windows Vista?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Disagree. Do you remember how the boot up time was like when you've got SideKick or other TSRs (Terminate-and-Stay-Resident) softwares like F-Prot, or Stacker or loaded?

Do you remember those days when accessing floppy drives causes your system to pause for a short while due to the anti-virus software scanning the files and directories? (We're talking about 1.44MB or 2.88MB floppies in here)

Do you remember those days when we had to tweak config.sys to squeeze as much RAM out of it?

It's almost the same as today. Just that today's softwares are much more humongous and yes, complicated.

:Later,

Ahh..... the days of DEVICEHIGH and HIGHMEM....

Hope you realize that you do have a choice. If you feel that Vista has got nothing "new" to offer to you, why switch?

Sometimes, I see that peeps switch over just because it's the "In" thing to do. I feel that this is terribly wrong. While it is good to keep up with technology somehow, one doesn't have to compromise things (i.e. stable setup, $$$, time) just because you have the itch.

My 0.02 cents worth.

I have to agree with this. I am still running Win2k.

Yep i agreed.

Being a window user for the past 18years, i feel very disappointed with their products.
Win3.1
Win95,
Win98,
WinME (worst lot)
Win2000 (the better one)
WinXP.

The microsoft had been shelving this WinVista for so long..and i wonder have they managed to come up a stable and easy to use OS?

Ever since i switch to Mac OS......I simply throw my XP box out of the Windows.

Mac Leopard!

:) ;) :)
Yeah come Spring 07, Leopard!

I am myself a recent switcher to Mac OS X.

osx leopard for me....

cheers....

Disagree. Do you remember how the boot up time was like when you've got SideKick or other TSRs (Terminate-and-Stay-Resident) softwares like F-Prot, or Stacker or loaded?

Do you remember those days when accessing floppy drives causes your system to pause for a short while due to the anti-virus software scanning the files and directories? (We're talking about 1.44MB or 2.88MB floppies in here)

Do you remember those days when we had to tweak config.sys to squeeze as much RAM out of it?

It's almost the same as today. Just that today's softwares are much more humongous and yes, complicated.

Hi Pinoy

You have made very valid points to remind us the differences of the old and the new. I have enjoyed tweeking computers for (perhaps more than) 16yrs until i switched to a mac. I realised i bacame such a bummer after the switch (2 yrs back) since i have no temtation to dl sharewares and plug in heaps of peripherals. With windows, I had encountered several forms of device conflicts ranging from interfaces like parrallel to serial to isa to pci to sccsi to first generation IEE1394.

Windows is made with bugs from the begining. Whether deliberated or genuinely flawed, they propel the consumer spending curve forward. I have enjoyed Windows as much as a mac since both platforms enabled me to perform my work.

However, not many people are aware of the bigger picture that windows have a very close knit with hardware vendors in order to earn their continual trusted support (that hardware vendors would install xx version of windows by default). Hence, the upgrade path has already been mapped few years down the road, and this includes the processor as well. Meaning, they know what is the best OS, but they just make many mini versions towards the best, not allowing the perfect system to be released. Lucrative trade? -> yes, indeed.

Well, at least we gotta be thankful that the deliberated flaws created jobs and helped families raise children with their salaries.

It is common all these years that when window hangs, it is totally forgivable since the flaws come with the price tag. Overheard this at Harvey Norman by a few shoppers recently. "Aiyah, window can hang one lah.... Even Bill Gate one also kena hang!"

But wait, I am also not a 100% mac believer since my logic board just got screwed last week and cant boot at all. Apple centre refused to fix it my way (by resoldering new Ram onto board" since its outa warranty and i am supposed to replace parts costing more than a brand new macbook. DIY fixed it for now while I am still using a faulty mac as i type.

Cheers to a better windows OS ahead.

In a few years time, all comp will come with Vista and think XP/2K will no longer be on sale, then no choice but to use Vista for Windows users... also dun think patches are supported for XP/2K forever, there will be a time patches are no longer available and everyone has to update to Vista :thumbsup:

Vista, hmm... have used it on my friend's laptop, on first glance, I cannot say much, but it seems there's a whole lot of features copied over from the Mac OS X.... (I use a mac)

Since i can't say much, let me provide a view on what OTHERS say on the Vista:
Vista Review

Used windows vista (not production version) on a P4 3.0Ghz and 512 DDR ram. It works pretty smooth.

In a few years time, all comp will come with Vista and think XP/2K will no longer be on sale, then no choice but to use Vista for Windows users... also dun think patches are supported for XP/2K forever, there will be a time patches are no longer available and everyone has to update to Vista :thumbsup:

Hopefully, Vista Lite will be out then ;)

Is the Aqua effect smooth on 512MB? just wondering. Maybe dun even need 1 GB at all. :embrass:
Aero effect depends on gfx also. My laptop 1.5GB ram also can't run Aero theme coz my gfx is only a slow intel 128MB

but at least there's still the normal winxp theme, or i can choose classic theme as well

Is the Aqua effect smooth on 512MB? just wondering. Maybe dun even need 1 GB at all. :embrass:

I remembered a review saying that it will run from 512MB of RAM onwards, as long as you don't multi-task, you should do fine. And as well, your graphics card should be updated to current market trend.

Ooo... sidekick and F-prot were essentials to my system at that time... such nostalgia.. :)

I have few programs installed in WinXP.

I tried defragged. boot up still slow.

my hdd is very empty one. only few programs.

i only have symantec anti virus and zonealarm as background program.

theres a lot more stuff running in the background than that... you just dont know about it.

click on run in ur start bar - type msconfig - then check under services and startup. that will tell you what the computer is loading for u. theres qutie a few websites online that will tell you what services etc you can disable safely.

theres a lot more stuff running in the background than that... you just dont know about it.

click on run in ur start bar - type msconfig - then check under services and startup. that will tell you what the computer is loading for u. theres qutie a few websites online that will tell you what services etc you can disable safely.

after i installed service pack, there is a significance slowdown in boot up and shutdown too. :embrass:

I have to agree with this. I am still running Win2k.

There must be ways for Microsoft to work around Vista to make it
seems like a better OS, however a check with gurus at some overseas
PC forums, the Win98se and Win2K is still more stable than any of
the newer OS. So, until today I am still using Win98se without regret.
Check at SLS, the retailers are still selling Win98se the same price as
Window XP home edition. Ask them why they are still selling and they
told me there are still people wanting to get Win98se instead of the
new OS from Windows.

There must be ways for Microsoft to work around Vista to make it
seems like a better OS, however a check with gurus at some overseas
PC forums, the Win98se and Win2K is still more stable than any of
the newer OS. So, until today I am still using Win98se without regret.
Check at SLS, the retailers are still selling Win98se the same price as
Window XP home edition. Ask them why they are still selling and they
told me there are still people wanting to get Win98se instead of the
new OS from Windows.

for win98se, still got support for security patches meh? :embrass:

Status
Not open for further replies.