Will you buy the New V1 & J1???

Will you buy the V1 or J1?

Results are only viewable after voting.

On a D7000, the far end of the 18-200 will get you 300mm equivalent reach.

On the GF3, the 14-42 will reach 84mm equivalent at most. You need the 14-140 to get close. But when you fixed that lens on your GF3, the whole thing is not that small or light anymore. Worse, the ergonomics always feels "off balance" to me - esp. with my need for reading glasses... operating it without a EVF is a challenge.

If you get the GF3, and need up to 300mm FL (FF Eq), its best to pair it with the 45-175mm Panasonic X lens (90-350mm FF eq). Small and light. Slightly over 200g for the lens.
Theres a review on this lens in the review section. You prob will not want to pair this with the 14-140 as that is a superzoom lens thats a little more heavy (440g).

Agrivar said:
If you get the GF3, and need up to 300mm FL (FF Eq), its best to pair it with the 45-175mm Panasonic X lens (90-350mm FF eq). Small and light. Slightly over 200g for the lens.
Theres a review on this lens in the review section. You prob will not want to pair this with the 14-140 as that is a superzoom lens thats a little more heavy (440g).

The 45-175 is probably faster at each respective focal length. But for people who only want to carry one lens, 14-140 not bad la.

Seems like the Nikon 1 is outselling all other mirror less in US (Amazon) and Japan:
So Nikon isn't that stupid after all.

Seems......2.7X........stupid...........:confused:.........:think:

Seems......2.7X........stupid...........:confused:.........:think:

The review said the IQ was good though.. primary issue seems to be the interface, lack of customizability and questionably conservative aperture speeds in auto mode. But then again it's largely targeted at P&S upgraders (or so I've gathered from the discussions here) so the interface might not be an issue after all, and at the end of the day they'd still have something much better than a P&S (aside: P&S from Nikon are largely dreadful too).

Set everything to A and just fire away.

Nikon is certainly not stupid, having survived profitably for so many years. So who's stupid?

Nikon is definitely not stupid, they have created such a premium brand loyalty in the market, that it knows whatever it throws in the market, it will sell. Thats how valuable the Nikon brand is. =)

Leica again is another example of successful prestigious branding. German made cost plus the exclusivity of ownership, it just creates desire. We bitch about the not so extraordinary quality of the M9, but to Leica users, it is the experience of using the M9 rangefinder, the touch and feel of the body , combining it into a spiritual photographic experience. That experience alone worth more than the price.

Fuji has very well taken the hint and is trying to replicate some success by putting elements of that experience in their xpro-1. Thats why you get a $1700 body only camera

You are very right. :)

Leica again is another example of successful prestigious branding. German made cost plus the exclusivity of ownership, it just creates desire. We bitch about the not so extraordinary quality of the M9, but to Leica users, it is the experience of using the M9 rangefinder, the touch and feel of the body , combining it into a spiritual photographic experience. That experience alone worth more than the price.

Why is taking pictures with an M9 spiritual? What does "spiritual" mean here? Sorry I have to ask because i) I heard Kai using that phrase on DigitalRev and ii) I'm too poor to ever afford a Leica, so I'm curious what "spiritual" means here.

Why is taking pictures with an M9 spiritual? What does "spiritual" mean here? Sorry I have to ask because i) I heard Kai using that phrase on DigitalRev and ii) I'm too poor to ever afford a Leica, so I'm curious what "spiritual" means here.

Honestly, I dont know. But I figured, the range finder has a steep learning curve to it before one can get decent pictures out of it. The rangefinder user bros can elaborate more. Plus, when using a 10k camera with a 10k lens in your lens, I m sure the feeling is exceptionally high . But getting OT already, this is a V1 thread . Cheers

Atarandas said:
Honestly, I dont know. But I figured, the range finder has a steep learning curve to it before one can get decent pictures out of it. The rangefinder user bros can elaborate more. Plus, when using a 10k camera with a 10k lens in your lens, I m sure the feeling is exceptionally high . But getting OT already, this is a V1 thread . Cheers

Point notes :) maybe someday Nikon will produce a rangefinder 2 series. :D

[video=youtube;Ykuy4qYip1U]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Ykuy4qYip1U[/video]

[video=youtube;M-4fE-bHzvA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-4fE-bHzvA&feature=related[/video]

sorry ot

For those who are used to DSLR or has a DSLR, V1 is good. Fast and accurate AF, clever metering. Slow motion mode is good, movie mode is good. Built quality is top, good LCD display. Very little shuttle lag. Lenses are cheap, good battery. The resolution is fine.

I pointed the camera at a few very bright ceiling light and it meters correctly while Panasonic GX1 got confused.

My biggest complain is actually due to small sensor (but not the resolution), we need to use 10mm lens to get a 30mm kind of FOV, which causes more distortion. More troublesome to remove the distorions using software.

Pretty sure the lens profiles will be on LR3 in no time. :) Then it's just one-click distortion removal.

For those who are used to DSLR or has a DSLR, V1 is good. Fast and accurate AF, clever metering. Slow motion mode is good, movie mode is good. Built quality is top, good LCD display. Very little shuttle lag. Lenses are cheap, good battery. The resolution is fine.

I pointed the camera at a few very bright ceiling light and it meters correctly while Panasonic GX1 got confused.

My biggest complain is actually due to small sensor (but not the resolution), we need to use 10mm lens to get a 30mm kind of FOV, which causes more distortion. More troublesome to remove the distorions using software.

I manage to try out this camera at courts recently, and I can say, I am pretty impress with the focus accuracy and speed.
I think I am being bought in.... but my one more questions if anyone can help me with is, can we slight a external LED light on the hot shoe of the V1? not sure if the size is similar to the standard hot shoe?

And any one can recommend a place to buy with good offer of the V1?

Cheers.

Try Parisilk in Holland V. I bought a camera from them last week and was very happy with the price and service. Of course call a few other places like John 3:16 and TK for quotes. :)

I manage to try out this camera at courts recently, and I can say, I am pretty impress with the focus accuracy and speed.
I think I am being bought in.... but my one more questions if anyone can help me with is, can we slight a external LED light on the hot shoe of the V1? not sure if the size is similar to the standard hot shoe?

And any one can recommend a place to buy with good offer of the V1?

Cheers.

Try Parisilk in Holland V. I bought a camera from them last week and was very happy with the price and service. Of course call a few other places like John 3:16 and TK for quotes. :)

Which model did you buy? Can you please pm me the price? Thanks

I have my J1, I have a 5D II so was after something alot smaller. IQ is surprisingly good, especially when considering the size of the camera.
I have been able to print 120cm wide prints in 3:2 from the J1 and the quality is remarkable. I'd put it up there with some prints I made from the Oly Pen EP2.
Workflow does involve OnOne Perfect resize, but of course, the better the raw file's sharpness the more likelihood of a nice print.
All I need is a 50mm equivalent for the Nikon 1, Ideally brighter than 2.8.