Will you buy the New V1 & J1???

Will you buy the V1 or J1?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Sounds like a long process to change shutter speed, I just need to turn the dial on the back of my E-P3... less than 1 sec job.
Btw, Nikon have built this camera for point & shoot user in mind, they don't want the user to change shutter speed or anything else, the user just need to frame and press the shutter button.

And one more thing, I think what pbear1973 did was right, he have already guided the new comer by telling him to look for the answer in the operating manual.

actually you do not need to go into menu.

A mode - up/down zoom for aperture
S mode - up/down zoom for shutter speed
M mode - up/down zoom for shutter speed, lower ring dial for aperture

klim828 said:
Yeh, thanks and no thanks!

I'd respect your opinion a bit more, but then I saw your link to "Stuff I'm reasonably proud of: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ctky1973/"

Really? I'm no expert, but I got an eye for stuff that's good - and really, it just looks like you're a beginner with expensive equipment.

You'd do well to attend some classes - or at least look at other portfolios to see how they frame a shot or isolate subjects - using the monochrome function in your camera does not make a shot arty farty.

And by the way, YOU'RE welcome!

I agree. It's crap. But it's my crap and I'm reasonably proud of it. :)

If you think my equipment is expensive, you ain't seen nothing yet. Some of the folks here have lenses that cost 10x more than my most expensive lens. I do have a rather long list, but that's a result of not knowing what I needed. Very painful journey of discovery. Today I know I need a wide angle lens, a 35mm prime, and a 50mm prime. I wish I knew that earlier; would've saved me a ton.

And yes I am a beginner, with very little chance to practice too. I agree about the B&W shots. That's why I've stopped doing it.

Catchlights: Thanks. :) On my part I promise to behave as well from now on.

Last edited:
Many feel that Nikon is behind the curve with GPS implementation as other manufacturer have already camera with builtin GPS instead of an add on accessory.

xtemujin said:
Many feel that Nikon is behind the curve with GPS implementation as other manufacturer have already camera with builtin GPS instead of an add on accessory.

Agreed. The Powershot S100 comes to mind. IIRC there is also at least one coolpix with gps

pbear1973 said:
Agreed. The Powershot S100 comes to mind. IIRC there is also at least one coolpix with gps

And the S110 comes without GPS again. :-D
Damn, where is my V2... I guess it's not gonna happen anymore. :'(

ageha said:
And the S110 comes without GPS again. :-D
Damn, where is my V2... I guess it's not gonna happen anymore. :'(

Heh heh. I guess it isn't as useful as one might assume. GPS without WiFi or 3G won't work indoors, and maybe that's where most users take their pictures.

E-M5? GH2?

collect so many mirrorless?
Yeah, I got close to a million mirrorless cams here. lol NEX is just for FDn lenses, the AF is useless. GH2 and E-M5 are for different purposes and lenses though I could sell the GH2.

Last edited:
Congrats! how do you find it so far?
The AF is very impressive with the 10-30mm but I didn't have much time since yesterday night. I will go a bit hiking this weekend and will take only the V2 with me. After that I can tell you more. ;)

The AF is very impressive with the 10-30mm but I didn't have much time since yesterday night. I will go a bit hiking this weekend and will take only the V2 with me. After that I can tell you more. ;)

did you get the 30-110mm? very good lens

did you get the 30-110mm? very good lens

I know and I considered it but in the end I will never swap lenses during a trip on my V1, at least that's my plan. For that I have already m43 good lenses and bodies. Actually I am planning to use the V1 only as a travel setup with the 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 or the 10-100mm f/4.5-5.6 depending on where I am going. :p Do you have the 30-110mm f/3.8-5.6?

Btw did anybody see the Nikon 1 Camera Grip GR-N1000 for the V1 in stores locally? ^^

Last edited:
I like the 1 NIKKORVR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 kit lens but it's a bit prone to flare at the wide end under the glazing Singaporean sun. :light:

Alan Chan said:
there is a hood for the lens right?

Yes but Nikon Singapore doesn't stock it and they aren't planning to. Question is if it helps. With some lenses it doesn't help much and I don't know anybody who uses the 10-30mm with a hood.