Will KPT kena?

if you wear too much perfume, you'd stink too :bsmilie:

anyway, i support the idea.

most of the so-called "media outlets" post nothing but rubbish.

take Stomp! or TRS, TRE and TOC for example. nothing but assumptions, mostly inacurate drivel that stirs hatred and dissent.

And you need them to tell you whats rubbish and whatnot ?

most of the so-called "media outlets" post nothing but rubbish.

yes, the States Times and the Rude Paper are such examples! 149th in press freedom, I think the reporters don't really have much of a job to do, just report to each Ministry and collect the Ministry's press release can already. After all, their reports are almost quoting verbatim what each Ministry says as Truth...

Hardly any balanced or real investigative reporting. Plus even allegedly committed offences against the Elections Act during the Punggol East by-elections. I am curious why the police, so efficient in catching the last culprit contravening the Elections Act in the same manner by conducting exit-polls, is suddenly bogged down. Maybe they are busy catching people who have sex corruptly.

Hardly any balanced or real investigative reporting. Plus even allegedly committed offences against the Elections Act during the Punggol East by-elections. I am curious why the police, so efficient in catching the last culprit contravening the Elections Act in the same manner by conducting exit-polls, is suddenly bogged down. Maybe they are busy catching people who have sex corruptly.

Or maybe joining in ? :bsmilie:
Anyway.. I'm not worried.. there are little cats whisper the latest news to me.. occasionally a man.. with pants :bsmilie:

Or maybe joining in ? :bsmilie:
Anyway.. I'm not worried.. there are little cats whisper the latest news to me.. occasionally a man.. with pants :bsmilie:

I think I would be worried when a ManWithoutPants approaches you ... beware of men in trench coats. You never know what they might be packing beneath. Sometimes, it is nothing!

yes, the States Times and the Rude Paper are such examples! 149th in press freedom, I think the reporters don't really have much of a job to do, just report to each Ministry and collect the Ministry's press release can already. After all, their reports are almost quoting verbatim what each Ministry says as Truth...

just a question though: which news agency do you believe offers 'balanced and real investigative reporting'?

just a question though: which news agency do you believe offers 'balanced and real investigative reporting'?

will you be shocked if i quote Al Jazerra ? not sure if I their name spelled correctly .

Media bias is not uniquely Singapore. But the regulation seems so (amongst first world countries) .

I would have thought it will be good to read collective views with pinch of salt and roundly come up to our own conclusion.

Hopefully the new regulation does not paradoxically fuel the very thing it is trying to stop.

will you be shocked if i quote Al Jazerra ? not sure if I their name spelled correctly .
nope, I'm not shocked... but will you be shocked by these stories?

Al-Jazeera Gets Rap as Qatar Mouthpiece - Bloomberg

Al Jazeera Criticized for Lack of Independence after Arab Spring - SPIEGEL ONLINE

every news agency has some form of bias in some way... that is not to say that all their reporting is thus useless, but it just means that consumers of news have to not assume that what they read is the whole, untainted truth, and to look at multiple sources and to weigh the various stories in their minds... and there are many out there, and here I stress that I am not accusing you, but there are many out there who look at sources like those cited by kei1309 and think that they are the unvarnished truth just because they contradict or disparage ST or gov statements...

Media bias is not uniquely Singapore. But the regulation seems so (amongst first world countries) .

I would have thought it will be good to read collective views with pinch of salt and roundly come up to our own conclusion.

Hopefully the new regulation does not paradoxically fuel the very thing it is trying to stop.
while personally I think this regulation is a waste of everybody's time, especially considering it deals with big media companies that may effectively be dealt with, and have been dealt with in the past, by existing legislation, but being a unique piece of regulation is hardly necessarily a negative point...

while personally I think this regulation is a waste of everybody's time, especially considering it deals with big media companies that may effectively be dealt with, and have been dealt with in the past, by existing legislation, but being a unique piece of regulation is hardly necessarily a negative point...

The existing regulation did not extend into cyberspace and only applied to organizations that registered as a news service.

In north korea everyday is good news blah blah ....OUR DEAR LEADER. do you want just that :)

The existing regulation did not extend into cyberspace and only applied to organizations that registered as a news service.
I guess in terms of regulation of companies itself, there is no direct regulation, but I was thinking more in terms of judicial means of indirect regulation... but food for thought

Newspaper Permit (from [url]http://www.mda.gov.sg/Licences/Pages/NewspaperPermit.aspx)[/URL]
- permit fee: free
- bond for offshore newspapers: S$200,000

if this is extended to web news, this might be better for local sites and not so much for foreign ones?...

In north korea everyday is good news blah blah ....OUR DEAR LEADER. do you want just that :)

Depends on the news anchor

anchor_Bae.jpg

:bsmilie:

I'm going to suggest to MDA a better alternative.

MDA should screen websites to identify undesirable material.
MDA will then update the ISPs such that when someone clicks on those links, a "website down" or "HTTP 404" kind of message appears.
That way censorship will be more subtle, yet can take place on massive scales.

This is to prevent the spreading of undesirable material that threatens the future of our country and the future of our later generations.

I'm going to suggest to MDA a better alternative.

MDA should screen websites to identify undesirable material.
MDA will then update the ISPs such that when someone clicks on those links, a "website down" or "HTTP 404" kind of message appears.
That way censorship will be more subtle, yet can take place on massive scales.

This is to prevent the spreading of undesirable material that threatens the future of our country and the future of our later generations.

Worse :bsmilie: the opposition will cry foul