Why Singaporeans cannot move far

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, most countries that is heavily Chinese populated usually have terrible service as well. Specially when it comes to restaurants.

Well, most countries that is heavily Chinese populated usually have terrible service as well. Specially when it comes to restaurants.

I'm pioneering the first Cook-it-yourself restaurant in Singapore.

A customer has to pluck the chicken feathers, fry the fish, chop the Pak Choi etc. etc. And after he finishes eating, he has to clean the place up.

It's a total eating experience. There is no cook or waiter. Only me collecting money at the counter. :bsmilie:

A customer has to pluck the chicken feathers, fry the fish, chop the Pak Choi etc. etc. And after he finishes eating, he has to clean the place up.

It's a total eating experience. There is no cook or waiter. Only me collecting money at the counter. :bsmilie:

BBQ buffet @ Parsar :think:

Double standards.

Like how more than once I was standing at a counter waiting to be served, then an angmoh stands behind me in the queue. Suddenly out of no where all the sales staff came forward and suddenly I became invisible.

Well.....this is not something tat only happen here......it's the same at lots of countries :dunno:

this bane on photography happens in other countries too. I have been told to pack up my stuffs after a security guard in the US saw me taking pics with my DSLR. He said it was fine with him but he was just carrying out orders from his "hidden" supervisor whom I didn't see.

think with digital, people just wanna be careful. Terrorism has a big part to play. It's not about whether you use a big or small camera. But the mindset is usually, if you carry bigger stuffs, it means you could be up to no good.

Anyway, we all know how easy it is to bomb a place. Every time I go to the MRT stations and see the old uncle standing at a make shift stand labelled "SECURITY", I wanna larff. If I were a professional killer, he would be as good as a useless rock to me.

And it's even a bigger joke when I see those young inexperienced looking police in red beret walking around with a rifle or machine gun strapped across their bodies. A pro killer can easily take them down.

ok back to the topic. I do agree that there are many silly singaporeans who never seem to use their heads to think. They simply follow orders blindly or do things in a mechanical way.

I don't know abt "Young Inexperienced Looking Police in Red Beret" and how a "Pro Killer can easily take them down".
But I do know the last idiot who tried to rob a bank with a toy gun got headshot by the Cisco Guard, the unassuming guy in blue u always see at the bank looking a little bored.

U might wanna try a stunt on those "Young Inexperienced Looking Police". Give us a field report after ur stunt (provided u're still alive to tell the tale).

how would i know? i'm not a killer or terrorist. And you mentioned it yourself. The one who robbed a bank was an "idiot".... and so he was unsuccessful. Which pro robber robs a bank with a toy?! Think of those pros in the US or even Malaysia and you'll get a better pic of a pro killer.

Terrorists.... you don't wanna underestimate them. It's been so many weeks and they still casn't find a physically challenged limping Mas Selamat.

But my point is, the authorities come up with all those rules like No Photography and all that... all in the name of security?? Maybe, but I do question the effectiveness sometimes. I guess it's a case of better be slightly safe than totally unguarded. If those terrorists wanna do something nasty, they will. It's a sad world with them around, not just here but globally.

The numbers seem to be great, the facilities are comfortable, the environment is wonderful, but why does Singapore not moving far? It seems to be lying on one factor, Singaporeans (just like you and me)cannot think out of the box.

At Mount Faber Safra Ya Kun, I ordered a coffee, egg plus bread set. Going to read up on one of my book and enjoy the nice cosy Singapore style coffee stall with aircon. I took out my newly bought digital SLR, try to take some pictures for non-commercial viewing. A staff came over to me, telling me photography is not allowed.

In my mind, I am thinking, if I am a terrorist, I will probably use a camera phone, pretend to take photos with a group of friends. If I am a professional photographer, I will not even dare to do it without the risk of people finding out, losing my reputation and getting sued.

Now imagine I am a tourist, an Ang Moh from USA, UK, Germany or France, do you think they will stop me? If a tourist can take pictures, post on the Internet to let others know how good Ya Kun is, why cant Singaporeans? If WE Singaporeans do not even allow to showcase our very own home product, how do we let others know it is good?

Modern day business is still very much based on word of mouth, whether physically or via electronical means.

Within 5 mins, I finished my food ordered, talked to the staff and get their Assistant Operation Manager, Rebecca's contact, as the staff cannot seems to explain to me why they have to tell me and spoiled my mood (without telling me clearly what I can do or not do with the pictures).

This country is sick, the people are sick from not knowing how to provide good service and thinking out of the box, how powerful word of mouth marketing is.

=================================
Oh I lament for these people
Because they treat others like fools
They are like fools

Rules they set to keep themselves safe
By the same rules they failed to progress
The sun is setting
But the seeds are not sow

The golden years are over
For there is nothing that we can do
That the others cannot
Unless we move ahead
We will drop behind forever
=================================

Added: It is not about the right of the customer, it is about how customer is treated. Sure you can tell me to stop taking photos, but do so in the right manner. There is no photography rights without a contract/agreement to do so. This say much about how our people are trained to provide service. To go the extra mile, basic technique is not taught, how to go the extra mile?

Oh dear... sad to hear that this country is sick and the people is sick. I think you are also sick.... as only sick people stay in a sick country. Find a country that is not sick and migrate there! However, I do agree with you that the service industry needs a kick in their...
I do not blame the staff, it is the company who did not give them the proper training.

Look around and compare the facial expression of a counter staff at a Govt hosp, a private hosp and the a 5-star hotel.

The different is in the training and training change the mindset.

I was in Japan.. I bought a small souvenir. I paid and keep the item in my pocket. The salestaff took it back from me. She put it in a little box and wrapped it with a little ribbon and handed it over to me. This is call service. of course it is not cheap but they call it valued added. I don't mind paying for such service.

We have a long way to go and we are improving and of course we are not sick!

I was in Japan.. I bought a small souvenir. I paid and keep the item in my pocket. The salestaff took it back from me. She put it in a little box and wrapped it with a little ribbon and handed it over to me. This is call service. of course it is not cheap but they call it valued added. I don't mind paying for such service.

tell me about that man! i bought 2 bottles of cookies at this dessert shop at my neighbourhood. they came in plastic bottles, i told the staff i'll be putting them in my luggage and was afraid they'll get crushed. the staff asked if i had the time to wait a while, and she meticulously wrapped the bottles in a hard cardboard box (meant for other merchandise) with lovely straw cushions, complete with a nice ribbon and some bubble wraps over the box. all these at absolutely no extra charge ;)

... just a personal experience of your own and u said WHOLE ENTIRE COUNTRY CANNOT MOVE FAR LIAO :bsmilie: this sound very serious to our country's future.:think:

hey... i had a better suggestion.. every Wed at various CCs.. there is a Meet The People Session ! u may bring this issue out to the various MP presented down there. :thumbsup:

tell me about that man! i bought 2 bottles of cookies at this dessert shop at my neighbourhood. they came in plastic bottles, i told the staff i'll be putting them in my luggage and was afraid they'll get crushed. the staff asked if i had the time to wait a while, and she meticulously wrapped the bottles in a hard cardboard box (meant for other merchandise) with lovely straw cushions, complete with a nice ribbon and some bubble wraps over the box. all these at absolutely no extra charge ;)

kool... i only manage to kena bad service there... lol... still remember going into a game shop to look for game, then i say the title, the joker look blur, i write it out, the joker say no stock, then i point to the shelf, he say all reserve... wt...

difference between tourist and FT... :bsmilie:

anyway, went for dinner yesterday @ central / waraku pasta. Service was quite good.
1) Very friendly, and without us even requesting, the manager asked if we would like to change our tables nearer to the window instead of by the aisle when that table left.

2) Since was with my 'ahem', then we order few stuff to try and hence sharing. They waited for each dish to finish then serve the next one instead of serving all at the same time. This is what i call THOUGHTFUL SERVICE.

3) Gave me 10% off without me knowing... well, not much but at least its a surprise. (actually is like minus its service charges only)

kool... i only manage to kena bad service there... lol... still remember going into a game shop to look for game, then i say the title, the joker look blur, i write it out, the joker say no stock, then i point to the shelf, he say all reserve... wt...

difference between tourist and FT... :bsmilie:

must say it takes quite alot to piss off a typical Japanese service personnel ... you sure you're alright that day? otherwise just your luck to have met a not so typical one ;p

Added: It is not about the right of the customer, it is about how customer is treated. Sure you can tell me to stop taking photos, but do so in the right manner. There is no photography rights without a contract/agreement to do so. This say much about how our people are trained to provide service. To go the extra mile, basic technique is not taught, how to go the extra mile?

You did not even have the basic manners to ask the establishment or those people around you if you could take a photo or explain why you want to take photos, yet expect others to be courteous to you? :bsmilie::bsmilie:

That is what you call service... BTW did it happen in Singapore or ????

... just a personal experience of your own and u said WHOLE ENTIRE COUNTRY CANNOT MOVE FAR LIAO :bsmilie: this sound very serious to our country's future.:think:

hey... i had a better suggestion.. every Wed at various CCs.. there is a Meet The People Session ! u may bring this issue out to the various MP presented down there. :thumbsup:

Good suggestion .. one of the ways to voice our concern. Be constructive.

Sound familiar.... just like tearing a parking coupon... the only different is that you paid in advance.. just hope that the idea is not a registered IP

:bsmilie::bsmilie::bsmilie:

Double standards.

Like how more than once I was standing at a counter waiting to be served, then an angmoh stands behind me in the queue. Suddenly out of no where all the sales staff came forward and suddenly I became invisible.

:think:when u go holiday, didnt the sales staff there behave this same way as those sales staff u mentioned here treated the angmoh? guess how the locals there felt?

it is the same all over the world. i myself if ever have the chance to open shop, eg consumer electronics, i wont stop my staff from behaving that way. lets face it, tourist brings in more money. do you think STB and CASE will take complain from locals more seriously or those from tourist?

We have a long way to go and we are improving and of course we are not sick!

Bcos you are a visitor that's why got good treatment?

Status
Not open for further replies.