Why low-ball?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Buy & Sell is trading and trading is bargain. If a seller cannot take the lower offer, then dun sell and wait for another buyer lor. The buyer is not using a gun pointing at your head, telling you to sell him your D3 at $10. So why get so workout for what?

If u want to fix a price and not allow to bargain, then go open a shop and tag your stuff with a price. Perhaps u may be the next Mustafa.

If u cannot take the fun of bargain, then just keep the item and dun post it in Buy & Sell lor.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Errr...no, that's not what I meant. What I meant was you quoted him without looking at my post, which already offers something even better than 1 element missing. Mine got NO elements unless buyer pays seperately. :bsmilie:

for that price i would oni pay if *mint* condition! :bsmilie:

deleted

Last edited:
WAH! Now you also wan *MINT* flavour ah!!! Wah ... soo demanding ah? Hehehehe! :bsmilie:

meet at 2359hrs will incurr cab fare, since i dun drive. so i fussy abit more.:sweatsm:

deleted

Last edited:
Buy & Sell is trading and trading is bargain. If a seller cannot take the lower offer, then dun sell and wait for another buyer lor. The buyer is not using a gun pointing at your head, telling you to sell him your D3 at $10. So why get so workout for what?

If u want to fix a price and not allow to bargain, then go open a shop and tag your stuff with a price. Perhaps u may be the next Mustafa.

If u cannot take the fun of bargain, then just keep the item and dun post it in Buy & Sell lor.

Cheers!

You seem to be missing the point.

But I do respect the fact that you like having fun in bargaining at whatever rate you deem fit. People like me are stubborn and petty and being a typical S'porean, I just like to complain even though I know that in reality, nothing is going to come out of it. Yes, I am worked-up, but who's to say that I'm not enjoying myself in the process also?

Synapse, sorry we OT your thread.

Last edited:
bargaining is well & good as long as its at least on par with the minimum stated price. & those irritating banal posts 'asking' for an even lower price should just look for other options.

poor uni undergrad? poor poly student? ask school for financial aid loh...

this is a photography forum, not supermarket or provision shop selling food items. wont go hungry without it. :confused:

yah, i should apologise for monkeying around earlier posts too...

Last edited:
Well, that's because I'm a very, very petty man... :)

But seriously, it's my opinion that this is a small part of a greater problem - that S'poreans can be quite "yau-kwee". Maybe it's a matter of perspective, and "reasonable" is relative, but by and large, I think even low-ballers know that they are low-balling.

To be fair though, the majority of deals I've made here have been very reasonable and no-fuss.

this is a singaporean mentality.
I find it especially amusing that photographers who probably have to deal with that sort of mentality from their clients (who always want more for less) are encouraging that sort of mentality by giving ridiculous offers for items that have a market value that one can find out easily through looking through previous sales.

Cheers!

people like you make me want to spit
you think people sell stuff for "fun"?
Here's a different perspective on the idea of buying and selling.
You fix a price based on what you think is fair value for an item you're selling.
I look at your price and consider if that's a fair price. If I don't think so I offer a price I deem reasonable
I do NOT LOW-BALL FOR "FUN"
it just reflects POORLY on me if I do that because it's DISRESPECTFUL and a waste of the other party's time.

Last edited:
Caution: RANT (about an oft-discussed topic) ahead.

If you bought say, a lens at $300, put on sale for $200, SURELY got one fella will "offer 100 for your lens". (And most of the time, this person won't even bother with proper salutations and sentence structure. I already think that's a bit rude to begin with - but hey, that's just me)

So why do people offer such ridiculous buy-prices?

Some people say, Oh because I'm a student, and therefore I cannot afford expensive stuff.
Well, I say, if you cannot afford it, then:

1) Don't buy it.
2) Look for cheaper alternatives
3) Save up for it.

Sure, I understand that students don't have much money. I was a student once. Heck, now that I'm working, I'm not exactly a jillionaire either. But photographic gear isn't a life-or-death necessity. Especially as a hobby. So the "poor student" reason/excuse is a no go. We're not running a charity here, and some of us actually have to work for our money, you know.

Then there are those who will try to scam you off with stupid reasons.

"But someone else is offering cheaper than what you are selling!" (then buy from that person lah)
"I know you are not first owner, so you must sell cheaper" (So by that logic, am I entitled to buy a 300mm f/2.8 for $500 if I so happen to know that it has changed hands three or four times?)
"I see that you have not managed to sell it for so long, so I am doing you a favour". Please, if you want to be so magnanimous, go help out at an old folks home and spare me the bullsh!t.

Of course, there's the classic "just trying my luck" reason. Yah. Why don't you just hang a sign that says "GIVE ME YOUR LENS" and walk around your neighbourhood? You might actually have a higher chance of scoring a deal there!

The point is, no matter how low you advertise your price, some joker's (usually with a very low post count in CS) going to offer you a price that's just going to piss you off. I used to give replies that range from diplomatic, to mildly sarcastic. But not anymore.

If you think a seller's price is too high (sometimes seller may not be aware of market/depreciation rate), do kindly explain and then propose an offer. It's only the nice thing to do, instead of a curt "offer 100 for your lens".

So to all you low-ballers who want to try your luck, just be careful. One day someone might just tua you big-time, like ask you go to Tuas or Geylang at 11pm to wait and never turn up.

Dude, keep cool. I believe those who have posted before at the Buy/Sell thread sure have all kind of encounters. That's include me too.

Even you ranting here also won't change anything. Just like some suggested, just ignore or replied with your BNP. There is always a Buyer Price and Seller price, if both ok then deal. If not, then forget it lor. That's so simple.

Cheers :)

Last edited:
Caution: RANT (about an oft-discussed topic) ahead.

If you bought say, a lens at $300, put on sale for $200, SURELY got one fella will "offer 100 for your lens". (And most of the time, this person won't even bother with proper salutations and sentence structure. I already think that's a bit rude to begin with - but hey, that's just me)

So why do people offer such ridiculous buy-prices?

Some people say, Oh because I'm a student, and therefore I cannot afford expensive stuff.
Well, I say, if you cannot afford it, then:

1) Don't buy it.
2) Look for cheaper alternatives
3) Save up for it.

Sure, I understand that students don't have much money. I was a student once. Heck, now that I'm working, I'm not exactly a jillionaire either. But photographic gear isn't a life-or-death necessity. Especially as a hobby. So the "poor student" reason/excuse is a no go. We're not running a charity here, and some of us actually have to work for our money, you know.

Then there are those who will try to scam you off with stupid reasons.

"But someone else is offering cheaper than what you are selling!" (then buy from that person lah)
"I know you are not first owner, so you must sell cheaper" (So by that logic, am I entitled to buy a 300mm f/2.8 for $500 if I so happen to know that it has changed hands three or four times?)
"I see that you have not managed to sell it for so long, so I am doing you a favour". Please, if you want to be so magnanimous, go help out at an old folks home and spare me the bullsh!t.

Of course, there's the classic "just trying my luck" reason. Yah. Why don't you just hang a sign that says "GIVE ME YOUR LENS" and walk around your neighbourhood? You might actually have a higher chance of scoring a deal there!

The point is, no matter how low you advertise your price, some joker's (usually with a very low post count in CS) going to offer you a price that's just going to piss you off. I used to give replies that range from diplomatic, to mildly sarcastic. But not anymore.

If you think a seller's price is too high (sometimes seller may not be aware of market/depreciation rate), do kindly explain and then propose an offer. It's only the nice thing to do, instead of a curt "offer 100 for your lens".

So to all you low-ballers who want to try your luck, just be careful. One day someone might just tua you big-time, like ask you go to Tuas or Geylang at 11pm to wait and never turn up.
I think selling your stuff to karung guni man will solve your problem.:thumbsup:

The Singaporean Bidding is very interesting.
I used to see many threads saying, for example
"Start bidding from $X, no low ballers expected"
Then a few posts later I see
"Have offers at 0.7X"
Then after a while
"Item sold to a nice gentleman"

Bid from, means to bid down from? :)

I'm already so used to it. Now when i want to sell something for $100, i'll put a price of $120 in my thread. Then when someone asks "got discount?" i'll just sell it to him at $100.

Quite typical leh, Singaporeans quite cheap one you know.

The best thing is they lowball and insist on "deal now" (sic) or something like that. Usually I just ignore.

just put a SB price then put lowballers please stay away, works most of the time.

else you can also smoke a lowballer big time at the expense of being a bad seller.

i have to agree with synapseman. kena too many of such ppl before. so now i just put "fixed price". no bargaining entertained.

It would be better if one learns to accept that there are always such "buyers" around in life .... this is not peculiar to B&S here but even for big-ticket items, such as apartments, cars, etc....
Even if a property is in the region of $3 millions, there will still be buyer who will offer you, say $1.2m because he just came to the workforce, or his savings currently stand at $1m, or my wife doesn't like the house no., etc....:dunno:

It would be better if one learns to accept that there are always such "buyers" around in life .... this is not peculiar to B&S here but even for big-ticket items, such as apartments, cars, etc....
Even if a property is in the region of $3 millions, there will still be buyer who will offer you, say $1.2m because he just came to the workforce, or his savings currently stand at $1m, or my wife doesn't like the house no., etc....:dunno:

definitely....so one needs to learn ways on how to reduce the number of such ppl bugging you :p

definitely....so one needs to learn ways on how to reduce the number of such ppl bugging you :p
you can't, coz some ppl are born that way .... i call them rude opportunists :think:

Status
Not open for further replies.