Why I am not proud to be Singaporean

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Sir, unfortunately the young generation do not think like that. They were born in good times, well fed, well protected, well sheltered, the mindset is totally different from your generation. Maybe we are seeing a repeat of the history of Rome.

All I ask is please do not condemn anyone for being different in a now globalized world. The world is now everyone's oyster. If she was to succeed somewhere else away from Singapore, I am sure many here who criticize her, will follow me as a Proud Singaporean and say that "That girl is the pearl that originate from Singapore".

All I ask is please do not condemn anyone for being different in a now globalized world. The world is now everyone's oyster. If she was to succeed somewhere else away from Singapore, I am sure many here who criticize her, will follow me as a Proud Singaporean and say that "That girl is the pearl that originate from Singapore".

I beg to differ. If she manage success else where do you think she
will proudly proclaimed 'I am a Singaporean' since she had declared
that she is not proud to be one.I certainly will not acknowledge her as one
of us.

she compares experiences from places like Taiwan which i think she may just saw or heard only the good side from them.

She is ignorant. Easily fooled by a few trivial encounters. Taiwan underworld is terrible. Crime is rife. Not all the Taiwanese are nice people.

She is ignorant. Easily fooled by a few trivial encounters. Taiwan underworld is terrible. Crime is rife. Not all the Taiwanese are nice people.

Erm. Here's the trick. Singaporeans always take for granted about this, but the solution to having to not "deal with the underworld" etc. is to live in nice neighbourhoods. Of course, you have to have the money to do so. Otherwise well, sucks to be you.

Dont mind my saying, I think you are mixed up equating her & her attitudes with our migrant forefathers. Questioning status quo? She is not asking questions & recommending solutions to problems facing our country but shooting her mouth off & dissing the country of which she is a citizen. She is indirectly criticising, insulting the people here (majority = everybody <> everyone?) as stupid (small minded, uncreative, blind followers, narrow minded, cannot think out the box, no brains of their own etc). Its like she is some smart ass spoilt brat, cocky, arrogant & shallow, so smart she knows it all. She should be the one looking in the mirror.

Many people like my father came from China at great risks to their lives, because of the lawlessness in that country with bandits, warlords making the lives of people hell there. This in addition to frequent calamities like floods & famines & not enough food. They are not unhappy with the rural way of life there or working as farmers. Indeed our forefathers worked hard, struggled to make this place what it is today and she, she "toiled and invested" wisely here? This lady on the other hand is singing the praises of other countries for own reasons, out of naivety & superficiality. She reaps the benefits & then snubs the people here. She obviously do not know or understand where we came from, what we gone through to survive & thrive as a nation. Its the rich kid who's well fed, not having to worry about bread & butter issues, to play her guitar & whine about the arts, "freedom" & all. She is entitled to her opinions of course but so are we. And she's free too to make her own choices, to go live where she wish but she don't need to make this video (with her showing her middle fingers & saying F-U at viewers at the end). I know of so many who migrated, including my sister, even from as far back as the 80's but they don't, no they don't bite off their nose to spit their face. And no, we don't need to go back to doing manual labour work so as to be proud & unashamed.

This not about FW or foreign talents. I respect, even admire, some of them, but that does not mean I agree with our immigration policy.

Me being a proud Singaporean grandfather, as far as I am concern, I think her parents brought her up very well to question the status quo. Being young, she just have to learn who can and who cannot accept it, and be careful whose toes she steps on. As far as I am concern all those that insult her should take a good look in the mirror. You are insulting precisely the same fore fathers and that includes the other gender that had exactly the same thoughts as her but in a different nation. Many have come at different times and for different reasons. It is people like my grand-father thinking like her and acting upon it that contribute to what Singapore is today. I can also tell that I am a shame of many Singaporeans and that includes many of my relatives that behave like many here in CS. Those that sit back and enjoy the fruits of our labour and are too a shame to even clean their own toilets. Why do we think there are so many FW here doing exactly what my grand-father and many others were doing in their day. I have seen my grand-mother's lady friends tolling and climbing wooden scaffolding with buckets full of cement at each end of a long pole building what Singapore is today. I have told my own children and relatives that if you complain about too many FW here, ask yourself, can I do it myself. I am a shame of many Singaporeans and that include many of my relatives who will not even lift a finger for anything, just because their fore-fathers have toll and invested wisely. If there is a fault, that may be, me included, and many that have no choice, that we were too busy thinking about money and spend too little time playing and listening to our children.

A Proud Singaporean that is able to accept Peanuts and Potatoes even if it does not agree with us.

Last edited:
Pleeeeeze lah bro, whats there to see. Like what she would have said, Singapore only have tiny weenie little hills, not like the mountains of our next door neighbours or those down under :) Or we are just an island filled with repressed, desperate, frustrated buayahs who get so thrilled at some exposed (intentionally?) flesh...

I'm sure everyone is watching this with mouth opened: :bsmilie:

[video=youtube;9juI1ecKxxQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9juI1ecKxxQ[/video]

Last edited:
Dont mind my saying, I think you are mixed up equating her & her attitudes with our migrant forefathers. Questioning status quo? She is not asking questions & recommending solutions to problems facing our country but shooting her mouth off & dissing the country of which she is a citizen. She is indirectly criticising, insulting the people here (majority = everybody <> everyone?) as stupid (small minded, uncreative, blind followers, narrow minded, cannot think out the box, no brains of their own etc). Its like she is some smart ass spoilt brat, cocky, arrogant & shallow, so smart she knows it all. She should be the one looking in the mirror.

Many people like my father came from China at great risks to their lives, because of the lawlessness in that country with bandits, warlords making the lives of people hell there. This in addition to frequent calamities like floods & famines & not enough food. They are not unhappy with the rural way of life there or working as farmers. Indeed our forefathers worked hard, struggled to make this place what it is today and she, she "toiled and invested" wisely here? This lady on the other hand is singing the praises of other countries for own reasons, out of naivety & superficiality. She reaps the benefits & then snubs the people here. She obviously do not know or understand where we came from, what we gone through to survive & thrive as a nation. Its the rich kid who's well fed, not having to worry about bread & butter issues, to play her guitar & whine about the arts, "freedom" & all. She is entitled to her opinions of course but so are we. And she's free too to make her own choices, to go live where she wish but she don't need to make this video (with her showing her middle fingers & saying F-U at viewers at the end). I know of so many who migrated, including my sister, even from as far back as the 80's but they don't, no they don't bite off their nose to spit their face. And no, we don't need to go back to doing manual labour work so as to be proud & unashamed.

This not about FW or foreign talents. I respect, even admire, some of them, but that does not mean I agree with our immigration policy.

As I mentioned, many of our ancestors came at different times and for different reasons. But she is in Singapore now, in the 21st century and using modern methods of communication or must we insist that she use a soapbox because that is what my father had to do. Do we tell our FW at the building site, shut up, your work is so easy now with concrete mixers and excavators to do the digging compare with what my mother's friends had to do. Different times, different reasons, and if I may say so I do not want you to go to a different world before I do. I agree, she could have made a more diplomatic video and be careful of the type of toes she steps on, but that could be one of the reasons she a performing artist. I for one and many here would not have the guts to be damned and shamed on stage. For your information I too do not agree with certain aspects of the immigration policy. Every thing too fast and too soon. Not balance, not sure whether too much ying or yang. Any country would think they are overwhelmed let alone a small dot like us. But even if there was such a thing as a perfect country, I hope the citizens will never stop questioning the status quo and comparing, copying and always improving on what they have. If our ancestors did not compare and copy the wheel invention, I think I will still be trying to drive with a square wheel. The only benefit I see in that is that it will take me longer to get to that different world.

I don't buy the argument that there is nothing seriously wrong with the braggart with fake foreign accent. See for yourself and draw your own conclusions.

small-girlshowfinger-WhyIamnotproudtobeSingaporean.jpg

I don't buy the argument that there is nothing seriously wrong with the braggart with fake foreign accent. See for yourself and draw your own conclusions.
This what people here did. Your selection of words leaves room for conclusions, too.

Last edited:

Why do you give a **** again?

Status
Not open for further replies.