Why I am not proud to be Singaporean

Status
Not open for further replies.
I truely consider myself a royal Singaporean ever ready to defend its photographic integrity.

Yes, your Majesty. We await your royal command. (Mahatir thought there is only 1 person he calls the "little emperor" in Singapore - he is not aware of you)

Last edited:
Yes, your Majesty. We await your royal command. (Mahatir thought there is only 1 person he calls the "little emperor" in Singapore - he is not aware of you)

Yes. I grew up under Mahatir's shadow in his iron fist reign. Couldn't get into uni because of quota, couldn't get a government job, couldn't get a cheap housing loan etc.

As many Malaysian Chinese the only light at the end of tunnel is to jump on a boat to Australia when the army was not watching. :bsmilie:

I'm a Toastmaster member and know what a good speech is like. She spoke too fast with jerky distracting hand gestures.

Rule #1 of Toastmaster Club:

1) Remove all Spongebob soft toys in the background when making Youtube videos

:bsmilie:

This is a smoke bomb by the media lah, to divert attention from national issues. Cannot be bothered to read this kind of non issue issue.

1st we understand her feeling when she did that video. She is young and vocal who speaks her mind. This is both good and bad but more bad in Singapore context. Unfortunately but true.

Many of her 'complaints' are true but she didn't understand why. It is survival and Singapore can never be Australia simply because we are a small country. But, Australia is also not haven till she finds out more. She is only 21 and has lots of opportunities to find that out. She share her experiences about people greeting her good morning and how is your day is interesting. In my work, I deal with multi-national including Singaporean. Meet any ang moh in the toilet, that .is the standard greeting. Meet a Chinese in the toilet, have you taken your lunch is their greeting.

Back out our homeland and Singaporean. Yes, we need to learn how to analyse things better. Be more receptive to feedback and accept that not everyone is the same. We need to make Singapore work and our next generation is here. We can surely make this place better and not necessary just status quo.

We have to move on and accept other perception on us. If we cannot agree we have problems, then we will never get to improve on what we are lacking simply because we cannot recognise our problem in the first place.

Reactions: Octarine
1st we understand her feeling when she did that video. She is young and vocal who speaks her mind. This is both good and bad but more bad in Singapore context. Unfortunately but true.

Many of her 'complaints' are true but she didn't understand why. It is survival and Singapore can never be Australia simply because we are a small country. But, Australia is also not haven till she finds out more. She is only 21 and has lots of opportunities to find that out. She share her experiences about people greeting her good morning and how is your day is interesting. In my work, I deal with multi-national including Singaporean. Meet any ang moh in the toilet, that .is the standard greeting. Meet a Chinese in the toilet, have you taken your lunch is their greeting.

Back out our homeland and Singaporean. Yes, we need to learn how to analyse things better. Be more receptive to feedback and accept that not everyone is the same. We need to make Singapore work and our next generation is here. We can surely make this place better and not necessary just status quo.

We have to move on and accept other perception on us. If we cannot agree we have problems, then we will never get to improve on what we are lacking simply because we cannot recognise our problem in the first place.

Well said.

Some singaporeans just assume the grass is greener on the other side.

There is a problem with those in their twenties and their thinking that everything sucks and the entitlement syndrome. Time to wake them up. And no one else to blame but their parents who brought them up this way

And no one else to blame but their parents who brought them up this way

To be fair, its not always or necessary the parents. The environment they are brought up in, their friends, who and where they hang out with, who they talk to, what they watch on tv or hear on radio or read in news/blogs/what-nots and a thousand other things also affects them. And some kids are much more observant than others. Realistic they may not be but this is truth.

Well, if you are a boss and you have a disgruntled employee, shouldn't you talk to her? Similarly, if you are the PM and you have a disgruntled citizen, should you perhaps hear her out? You take "talk to her" to mean "make her kowtow to me"... incorrect assumption.
My assumptions are not incorrect, looking at Singapore and Chinese history.
Secondly, Singapore is, legally, not a company or corporation, but a country. Singapore citizens are not the employees of the government (however strange the similarities might be here in SG). Therefore, she is entitled to her opinions, to express them and to stand for them without being counseled on PM order or or on order of some other freaked out narrow minded people.

To add on this: just because someone is young of age that does not mean the person cannot have an opinion or that this opinion / perception is of lower value or relevance. Dismissing this as 'blabber of the youth' or similar is a terrible mistake, unfortunately many older generations fall into this trap. The second trap is to put it down as singing of greener pastures. LKY proudly stated that he took ideas from many countries to shape the government, administration and laws of Singapore. Anybody up daring to call him copy cat or accusing him of longing for greener pastures? This girl simply compares from her point of view, impression, experiences. Let's respect this, ponder about it (although it might hurt a few here in their local pride) and have the balls to admit that she might be right in a few points.

I am proud to be a singaporean in the 80s and 90s.

Now i am just being used to fill the billions of TH and GIC.

Why do i have to pay 150k for a japanese car when it is the government policies that is driving congestion?

CLASS struggle is not the most apt to describe today's situation. Being used and abused by rulling class is.

I look forward to 2016.

Well said.
Some singaporeans just assume the grass is greener on the other side.
They are simply impressed by seeing the same thing in a different light. We all are, if not we should not travel and definitely we should close this forum :bsmilie: - because photography is exactly this.

There is a problem with those in their twenties and their thinking that everything sucks and the entitlement syndrome. Time to wake them up. And no one else to blame but their parents who brought them up this way
It's the prerogative of the youth to rebel, question, disagree, disobey. Every generation did so, maybe less in Asia and more outside the region. Only this questioning of status quo is what shakes the world and brings it forward. The old guys in their chairs won't do that, they are mostly settled and comfy the way it is.

My assumptions are not incorrect, looking at Singapore and Chinese history.
Secondly, Singapore is, legally, not a company or corporation, but a country. Singapore citizens are not the employees of the government (however strange the similarities might be here in SG). Therefore, she is entitled to her opinions, to express them and to stand for them without being counseled on PM order or or on order of some other freaked out narrow minded people.

OK lah OK lah... not as if the PM will hear or care or act on my suggestion anyway...

I could only watch 1/4 of her clip before Bei Tahan that I turned it off.

I'm a Toastmaster member and know what a good speech is like. She spoke too fast with jerky distracting hand gestures.

Her messy bed at the background indicates that she is a violent sleeper just in case you become her boyfriend one day.

All in all the saving grace is she has a nice cleavage. As a nosebleed uncle photographer I can see some potential but not big potential there. :bsmilie:

I'm agree with you... The distraction level is damn too high... :bsmilie:

[video=youtube;9juI1ecKxxQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9juI1ecKxxQ[/video]

I am proud to be a singaporean in the 80s and 90s.

Now i am just being used to fill the billions of TH and GIC.

Why do i have to pay 150k for a japanese car when it is the government policies that is driving congestion?

CLASS struggle is not the most apt to describe today's situation. Being used and abused by rulling class is.

I look forward to 2016.

150k for 10years. Not forget the petrol, parking, fines etc. At least 200k in the end. Go oversea drive a ferrari n speed, to enjoy the freedom!

They are simply impressed by seeing the same thing in a different light. We all are, if not we should not travel and definitely we should close this forum :bsmilie: - because photography is exactly this.

It's the prerogative of the youth to rebel, question, disagree, disobey. Every generation did so, maybe less in Asia and more outside the region. Only this questioning of status quo is what shakes the world and brings it forward. The old guys in their chairs won't do that, they are mostly settled and comfy the way it is.

True dat. But you can't deny the fact that some parents give in and spoil their kids too much

I'm agree with you... The distraction level is damn too high... :bsmilie:

[video=youtube;9juI1ecKxxQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9juI1ecKxxQ[/video]

Only one distraction.

If two distractions how? :) :)

Singing voice a bit hoarse and please help her to tune her guitar. :bsmilie:

she compares experiences from places like Taiwan which i think she may just saw or heard only the good side from them. Being a frequent traveller to Taiwan, i must say life is not as rosy as u think in Taiwan. My Taiwanese friend a top university graduate spent 3 years looking for a job in Taipei, only to end up working as a customer service representative in a shopping mall. He appears happy and warm on the outside with people, but if when u spent time long enough with him, u can see the hardship he struggled with his low income. Some Taiwanese friends i know are earning as low as $1200 a month in an office job as a degree holder, the good earners are those in property or insurance ones. As a result, many are planning to find better earning jobs in other countries, and their top choices are America and Singapore.

if you go there as tourists, u will not find these because what u see is all nice on outside. Do u know Taipei Main Station? during winter time, almost every morning, there will be police cars and some black cars around to collect frozen bodies. The homeless beggars slept outside the station and were frozen to death during winter season. U can see them sleeping outside if you took the last train from other cities back to Taipei, they are the homeless, some had to sleep in 24 hours Mac Donalds but sometimes were asked to leave to give customers better environment. Singapore does have some homeless but not so serious like theirs. How do they survive? some kind souls does at times give free food to them, most of the time they will go to the back alleys to scout the dustbins for leftover food. They depend on public toilets to clean themselves. There was once i saw one searching the coin slot hole for uncollected coins in train station

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.