Why does ppl always so rude to photographer during wedding

Just get used to it.. life goes on.. You need the job..the money right..no choice.. yea it sure feels better to rant.
having said that..you can always reject/turn down offers next time. lol.

Just to highlight too, there is no job in the world that is free from rudeness. Be it politician, doctor, nurse, maid, gardener, pasam malam stallholder, chef.. All are not free of contact or scrutiny of people.

Well there is one.. You can find a small island, rear livestock grow vegetables and plant rice and become a hermit.. If worry the chickens are not polite, then just become vegetarian...

Just back from wedding work, Sick of ppl calling photographer ... Hey, hello, xiaoti, ah boy, oih, who er who er, when they need you for photo shoot during wedding.

Why cant they call you nice name Like .. Mr photographer .....?

They mean no harm. Just that they do not know you personally. These are not insulting names. Why so agitated? It is a small thing. Next time you are photog for a wedding dinner let us know. If we attend, we will remember to call you Mr. President. There...you feeling better already?

They mean no harm. Just that they do not know you personally. These are not insulting names. Why so agitated? It is a small thing. Next time you are photog for a wedding dinner let us know. If we attend, we will remember to call you Mr. President. There...you feeling better already?

LOL!

@TS: are you even local? you don't even know what the older generation calls the younger generation by?

Just back from wedding work, Sick of ppl calling photographer ... Hey, hello, xiaoti, ah boy, oih, who er who er, when they need you for photo shoot during wedding.

I don't understand how that is rude.

But you will have to deal with the "security guard" who stop you from taking pictures ;p

It's a urban jungle now?

Each time we point our long lens into the bush there is a security guard poping up his head? :bsmilie:

Each time when we piss behind the tree there is a security guard jumping out all wet? :bsmilie:

They didn't call you handsome or sissy or botak? :bsmilie:

Last edited:
maybe they are just plain ignorant like some have said. but i don't get such calling before as a photographer and an assistant. one thing for sure those guests doesn't know your name,maybe that explains such callings which may be a bit uncomfortable. the most common i've heard is "hi/hey bro,can take a shot/our pic?".
the jersey thingy or vest with your name printed on the back could help, i think...

Actually in SG and MY, the uncles and aunties call the younger generation by ah di and ah nia.

In TW, the older generation will call didi and mei mei.

Actually nothing wrong mah. There was an auntie in marine parade who calls one of the MPs,"ah di" and slapped his arms. He smiled at her.. haha.

Actually in SG and MY, the uncles and aunties call the younger generation by ah di and ah nia.

In TW, the older generation will call didi and mei mei.

Actually nothing wrong mah. There was an auntie in marine parade who calls one of the MPs,"ah di" and slapped his arms. He smiled at her.. haha.

i thought ahdi or an nia is not bad leh. has that sense of family/acceptance.
if i'm covering an event/camp/wedding, last thing i want is people calling me "mr photographer". i rather they feel comfy, and start calling me bro or something. then i'll get good shots.

Just to highlight too, there is no job in the world that is free from rudeness. Be it politician, doctor, nurse, maid, gardener, pasam malam stallholder, chef.. All are not free of contact or scrutiny of people.

Well there is one.. You can find a small island, rear livestock grow vegetables and plant rice and become a hermit.. If worry the chickens are not polite, then just become vegetarian...

Grow thick skin.

Generally, it is better if you could introduce yourself to people around you and be friendly. Once you have established the "insider" people generally will treat you with respect.

Respect is to be earned but not given automatically.

I have seen more rude photographers then rude people at the weddings in Singapore. The way they convey themselves were less then ideal. Of course, as human, we are not perfect but we need to do our best to blend in.

If you have done your best and there are still rude people according to your standard, then it's probably unavoidable and just take it easy.

Regards,

Hart

Actually, how to say "Mr. Photographer" in dialect?

Well look at the bright side, if they called you "xiao di" or "ah boy" at least you can hold on to the fact that you are still young and that life is good with a great many years ahead. Nothing spoils the day by having a similarly young chap (or someone older!) call you "uncle" ....

Actually, how to say "Mr. Photographer" in dialect?
in Chinese is " She Ying Shi Xian Sheng", so depends on what dialect
some people call photographers "hor siao yah er" in teochew, "kip xiong ah kor" in hainanse, some ah huay ah lian ah beng ah seng just call photographers as "cameraman"
some parents of the wedding couples address me "shi fu" during weddings, that why I know it is time for me to stop shooting weddings.

anyway, it is noting wrong when people call you "xiao de", cos to them you are very young, you just proof provide yourself with how the way you interact with people if that really bother you.

i thought ahdi or an nia is not bad leh. has that sense of family/acceptance.
if i'm covering an event/camp/wedding, last thing i want is people calling me "mr photographer". i rather they feel comfy, and start calling me bro or something. then i'll get good shots.

I'm ok with ah di or xiao di. It's TS that's not ok with that. hehe.. to me, it's the asian culture. I dun expect people to roll red carpet and the emcee goes,"Ladies and gentlemen, please rise for the arrival of the official photographer, His Highness Prince Photogenic" hahaha.. alrighty, just playing..

in Chinese is " She Ying Shi Xian Sheng", so depends on what dialect
some people call photographers "hor siao yah er" in teochew, "kip xiong ah kor" in hainanse, some ah huay ah lian ah beng ah seng just call photographers as "cameraman"
some parents of the wedding couples address me "shi fu" during weddings, that why I know it is time for me to stop shooting weddings.

anyway, it is noting wrong when people call you "xiao de", cos to them you are very young, you just proof provide yourself with how the way you interact with people if that really bother you.

Oh no.. if we start calling you shifu, you stop being a moderator for CS? remind me not to ok? hehe =P

I'm ok with ah di or xiao di. It's TS that's not ok with that. hehe.. to me, it's the asian culture. I dun expect people to roll red carpet and the emcee goes,"Ladies and gentlemen, please rise for the arrival of the official photographer, His Highness Prince Photogenic" hahaha.. alrighty, just playing..

well for me, i dun mind going a little of an extra mile (for a lot of things), to get a good photo.

helping to carry stuff, chatting, trying to build relationships, these are things that help people around you to relax and be natural. while its beyond my scope of just taking photos, its value adding to your work. what these helps is to get access and for people to not feel awkward around you.

just take a look at the documentary photographers. they are quite good at this sort of stuff, thats why they get a lot of the "moment" shots.

aiya put it this way. photographers are your best friends for that 5 minutes. after that you probably wont be seeing them again. so long as i can use it to my advantage, they call me xiao di, ah girl, i also dun care.