Why do you NOT want a DSLR?

Why do you NOT want a DSLR?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know how you did your calculations, and where you go for prints, but here's what I spend:

$6.20 / roll of print film, about 3 rolls/month
$3.00 for processing, each roll
40c/4R or $1.50/5R prints on Fuji Crystal archive paper, typically around 10 prints / month.

That's around $35/month, for the last few years. By your math, that gives me around 6.7 years of shooting with your extra $2850. If I shoot slides, it's $6.5 a roll and $4 for processing. Still around the same.

BTW I don't reckon ever saying that I get free prints. Neither do I reckon saying that I'm "afraid" to buy new stuff and still use a 486. I shoot with my film gear because the economics works out just right. Also, spending $3000-3500 on a camera at one shot makes a bigger impact on my bank balance than spending the same amount over many years. I never said I hate digital. I'd probably sell my film gear when digital becomes as affordable as film and gives me the kind of control I want for my needs.

And you don't have to shoot 1100 frames a month just to learn about photography. *sigh*.

Originally posted by Bedpan
I have done the math.. I also have an S2, enjoying th world of Digital, getting better shots everyday, learning as I go. I suppose your also the type who is probably still using a 486 cause something better is coming soon.. To afraid to spend money and enjoy the technology..

You must also have one hell of a prolab to be getting Free prints.... Last time I checked it would be close to $20 to purchase the film and have it printed. Even using your wonderful math provided...

Your Camera will cost you $150 to own
The digital will cost you $3000

The digital will cost you $2850 more then the Film Camera....
Probaly a little high, but at $20 a roll for film and processing thats only about 140 rolls of film. Not sure how much you shoot.. But in the 4 months I have had my s2 I have already taken about 4500 shots.. The true advantage of digital is you never have to be afraid to push the shutter button. It does not cost you anything. Yes I have wasted a lot of shots. Yes I have played around a lot. But doing both of these things teach me about the camera, how it is going to respond and what to expect.

I am new to SLR photography. I am damn glad I went straight to digital; It has given me the freedom to shoot.

DUH?!?
Mike

Originally posted by ckiang

The smart digital photogs will re-burn them along the way to new CDs, or DVDs, or whatever new media that comes along.
True but if you're looking at the market penetration how many people actually do that? In fact, how many people backup their computers even today? And if you've forgotten to do that (which is very very possible - I've seen it happen many many times in my line of work), what will you do then? How'd you read a 5.25" floppy today?

i think my reason is that the prob with dead pixel

imagine you pay 3-4k for a normal dslr and the got one dead pixel. it is like wasting money... haven count those eos 1d and those abt 10k ones
if i am not wrong the standard is 6 pixel and above then can exchange. so if you heng heng got 5 dead pixel?

maybe thats why loh

Originally posted by sriram

True but if you're looking at the market penetration how many people actually do that? In fact, how many people backup their computers even today? And if you've forgotten to do that (which is very very possible - I've seen it happen many many times in my line of work), what will you do then? How'd you read a 5.25" floppy today?

Wait...where's my 5.25" drive?

I do admit I have several 3.5" floppies probably rendered useless by fungus. But we don't do it doesn't mean that the pros don't right?

Regards
CK

Originally posted by nicholas1986

imagine you pay 3-4k for a normal dslr and the got one dead pixel. it is like wasting money... haven count those eos 1d and those abt 10k ones
if i am not wrong the standard is 6 pixel and above then can exchange. so if you heng heng got 5 dead pixel?

maybe thats why loh

Hi

if u mention costs, like Sririam did, i can understand....but.........

u wouldn't buy a DSLR because u are afraid there will be a hot pixel????!!!

DUH! :rbounce:

this is not your consumer digicam!

Originally posted by Red Dawn

Hi

if u mention costs, like Sririam did, i can understand....but.........

u wouldn't buy a DSLR because u are afraid there will be a hot pixel????!!!

DUH! :rbounce:

this is not your consumer digicam!

Yeah man, even my Coolpix 950 does not have deadpixels. So you won't buy a LCD monitor, PDA, Phone, etc because of the same problem? Coz all LCD/CCDs are prone to deadpixels.

Regards
CK

Originally posted by ckiang

Yeah man, even my Coolpix 950 does not have deadpixels. So you won't buy a LCD monitor, PDA, Phone, etc because of the same problem? Coz all LCD/CCDs are prone to deadpixels.

Regards
CK

me very heng one
see my friend cool pix 885 also got
then my tuition teacher notebook also got
hai
and last time my lcd monitor dead b4 i can use it

If you are comfortable shoot 3 rolls a month then you are probably quite right to stay with Film.. Sorry to words in your mouth...

No 1100 frames are not needed to learn about photography. But when its a luxury I have already invested in there is no reason I cannot take 1100 frames.. Alot has been playing with Time lapse, Pano's and other play.. Things that I kow I would not be trying or learning with Film...

Mike

I don't know how you did your calculations, and where you go for prints, but here's what I spend:

$6.20 / roll of print film, about 3 rolls/month
$3.00 for processing, each roll
40c/4R or $1.50/5R prints on Fuji Crystal archive paper, typically around 10 prints / month.

That's around $35/month, for the last few years. By your math, that gives me around 6.7 years of shooting with your extra $2850. If I shoot slides, it's $6.5 a roll and $4 for processing. Still around the same.

BTW I don't reckon ever saying that I get free prints. Neither do I reckon saying that I'm "afraid" to buy new stuff and still use a 486. I shoot with my film gear because the economics works out just right. Also, spending $3000-3500 on a camera at one shot makes a bigger impact on my bank balance than spending the same amount over many years. I never said I hate digital. I'd probably sell my film gear when digital becomes as affordable as film and gives me the kind of control I want for my needs.

And you don't have to shoot 1100 frames a month just to learn about photography. *sigh*.

Bedpan, this is OT but I've got to ask.

What kind of batteries do you use in your S2 and how long do they usually last? Assuming continuous shooting condition for a day maybe.

Thanks.

I'm kinda agree with kit, battery life MAY be a problem...

Flame me NOT :devil:

maybe thats why loh

interesting argument ;p just want to point out that you could check the camera thoroughly for dead pixels BEFORE you buy it. I checked and rejected those with dead pixels before I get mine.

Originally posted by Kit

Ehhhhhhh............. don't get me into this man. I was asking a genuine question. :what:

Flame me NOT = DON't FLAME ME.. heheheheehe

/me protect Kit... mai scard...

Lets hope that if you shoot film/slides you take the time and effort to store everything correctly..
Lets hope that if you shoot digital that you take the time and effort to backup everything..

Personally Any photos that I have not burnt to Cd (everything gets burnt twice) I keep on two differnt Harddrives in two differnt PC's...

If you don't backup or store properly.. You get what you deserve..

As for the problem of new media coming along... Is it really a problem? I would guess that in the next 3 - 5 years CDROM drives will be pretty much history. That said I have no doubt that I will be able to find a system that I can read all my existing CD's and put them all onto the current format...

5.25 drives have dissapeared.. That does not mean you could not find one if you really need to access a file.. Heck I know a few places where I could find an 8" floppy drive if I really needed.. Its not like these drive suddenly vaporize... Especially with the market peneration of CDROMS... I am sure in 10 years time you will still be able to find CDROM drives if you needed to..

Mike

Do you really think that 1 dead pixel, 10, 20, or 50 dead pixels is really going to make much differnce on todays SLR's? 6 million pixels, 12 million pixels... Its a drop in the bucket so to say. And its very easy to fix. With dead pixels they occur in the same spot all the time, you know the results right away after you take a shot. Ever had a bad role of film? Did not roll properly, jams etc? At least with a CCD, dead pixels or not you alway know what to expect.

Mike

maybe thats why loh

Hey Kit...

Typical results are as follows..
Shooting 1800Mah PowerHaus batteries..
Typically get 500 - 600 shots with the CR123's in
Have not done a lot of shooting yet without the CR123's, but would expect 300+.... Will find out soon enough as I just got a SB80DX... No need to use the CR123's any more..

Mike

Originally posted by Kit
Bedpan, this is OT but I've got to ask.

What kind of batteries do you use in your S2 and how long do they usually last? Assuming continuous shooting condition for a day maybe.

Thanks.

Originally posted by Bedpan
Hey Kit...

Typical results are as follows..
Shooting 1800Mah PowerHaus batteries..
Typically get 500 - 600 shots with the CR123's in
Have not done a lot of shooting yet without the CR123's, but would expect 300+.... Will find out soon enough as I just got a SB80DX... No need to use the CR123's any more..

Mike

Right. Thanks for the info Mike and thanks for not viewing my question the other way.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.