Why do we shoot? Who do we shoot for?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So you now must have few millions of these dollar notes. :bsmilie:

I wish...... :cry:

all are illusion....., like this.

money.jpg

First of all, I need to thank Skye Tan's statement in another thread that got me thinking.

Why do I take photograph? Who do I take the photograph for?

I don't have an answer. I will come back to post my thoughts here on this topic, if I can put something coherent together.

What are your thoughts?

On the contrary, I think that Skye's statement of the purpose of art is somewhat limited. Art is a means of expressing a person's personal view of the world or of objects and people etc. Its personal and can be self serving. Which means that one can create art for oneself, and damn the rest of the world.
Others looking in may decry it as the most obscene or sloppy result in the world, but at the end of the day, it still is art, it still is the person's personal take on the world.
Shock artists like Damien Hirst and others have broached the line of what is commonly thought of as art. No one was too comfortable with it at first, but their renown has increased and they are accepted as part of the art community, but perhaps as thrice removed cousins that should not appear at family functions too much..

So, after all this rambling - I take photos for myself. I benchmark myself against the conventions of what is considered great, and I strive to improve. But at the end of the day, my output is for my personal consumption. Creation is seldom motivated by a desire to win approval from others.

cheers

Shoot for passion, its enjoyable, relieves stress.
Shoot for yourself or for recognition.

:D

All I can say, and perhaps a few of you had pin pointed, I lost the "having fun" portion of shooting.

I really think I am having fun though. However, as our expectation of our end product increase, it can get very stressful planning a shoot, executing the plan, and producing the final image.

All I can say, and perhaps a few of you had pin pointed, I lost the "having fun" portion of shooting.

I really think I am having fun though. However, as our expectation of our end product increase, it can get very stressful planning a shoot, executing the plan, and producing the final image.
I think the best bet for you is to pen down your thoughts on paper and bring it wherever you go. Sometimes, good ideas come when you least expect it. ;)

One of the reasons why I shoot is to celebrate light and the beauty it brings. I may or may not share it with others but in the end, it is an expression from myself and possibly of myself. Some people sing, others dance and still others paint etc but in the end, it all boils down to a need to communicate something which is what is innate in everyone.

One of the reasons why I shoot is to celebrate light and the beauty it brings. I may or may not share it with others but in the end, it is an expression from myself and possibly of myself. Some people sing, others dance and still others paint etc but in the end, it all boils down to a need to communicate something which is what is innate in everyone.

For me, I shoot things that is considered traditional, feel free to see my webbie below:- :thumbsup: :bsmilie: :sticktong

http://tengcc.multiply.com/photos

For some, it's an art.
For others, it's a science.
And for some others, it's both.

For some, it's a job.
For others, it's a business opportunity.

For some, it's a learning experience.
For others, it's simply for fun.
And for some others, maybe it's none of the above.

What's great about photography is that it can be appreciated at so many levels and from so many angles. It can be a different experience for everyone. It's a tool we can use for whatever reason we wish. And no reason, just like no person, is greater than another.

For some, it's an art.
For others, it's a science.

For some, it's a job.
For others, it's a business opportunity.

For some, it's a learning experience.
For others, it's simply for fun.
And for some others, maybe it's none of the above.

What's great about photography is that it can be appreciated at so many levels and from so many angles. It can be a different experience for everyone. It's a tool we can use for whatever reason we wish. And no reason, just like no person, is greater than another.

Well, that's conclusion i guess ... good one.:thumbsup:

Well, that's conclusion i guess ... good one.:thumbsup:

:bsmilie: No lah. Not conclusion.
Deadpoet's intention was to hear from each of us why we shoot as everyone can potentially have something different to say. It's IMHO, a great way to open our minds.
So, no conclusion here. :thumbsup:

the artist has to first find the thing that appeals to him/her in order to create

but art created to be appealing to others is fashionable art, and art does not need to be fashionable

so art needs to appeal, but only to the artist (pre-requisite for art to occur)

to say that art that does not appeal to others is art that has no integrity will be insulting to a very large group of artists who work not to make fashionable art.
well said! :cheers: art whores n real art... :bsmilie:

As I was contemplating these 2 questions over the weekend, heard some related comments that got me thinking more.

One photographer said that we must continue to improve, to strive for perfection. Another photographer commented that he is a hobbist, only shooting in his spare time, if time permits, he will strive to improve, if there is no time, he will just continue to enjoy photography.

I think most of us are hobbist shooting in our spare time. We have many priorities. Even among hobbies and recreations, we have more than just photography.

So, what should we, what cold we, what must we do?

The key to Enchanted's and Ortega's thoughts is the word "Expression".

To express, we need something to deliver the message, and for us, is medium is photogrpay.
T0 express, we need something to talk about. For alot of us, the subject is the reason of our expression.
To express, do we need someone to express to?

that is why there is commercial art
and Art

Commercial Art needs to solve a problem to have commercial value
if not the Artist will go broke

Take for example Van Gogh
his art did not appeal to the masses at that point of time and so he remained poor
but now ....

So most photographers have a commercial portfolio and a personal portfolio
one is for the business and the other is for himself/herself

one is business (shot for client) and one is art shot for himself/herself

so it depends on what type of photographer are you
what is more important to you?

i thought abt this too..
and somehow, i managed to relate this to everything im thinking abt at the moment.

i shoot, cause i feel belonging 'there'. like i know what to shoot, what i want to shoot
and i know it's a part of me. yes, expressing's a part of it; and i love it if people love my works and i get sad if people dun get it. but i think it's more complicated than that

when i was twelve, i took a roll of my dad's camera
and shot ocean waves after waves, and there was really nothing to see, except for a bland white sky and .. well.. waves.. when my dad developed the film. but to me, there were waves in the pictures and that was what i wanted to capture. i was so fascinated by the waves, and the camera was the only way for me to get it, remember it..

it's really hard to explain, it's like i shoot cause that's my first instinct. i shoot and i feel like this is what i should be doing. it's idealitic i know, but how do you explain passion with nothing else but idealism?

that is why there is commercial art
and Art

Commercial Art needs to solve a problem to have commercial value
if not the Artist will go broke

Take for example Van Gogh
his art did not appeal to the masses at that point of time and so he remained poor
but now ....

So most photographers have a commercial portfolio and a personal portfolio
one is for the business and the other is for himself/herself

one is business (shot for client) and one is art shot for himself/herself

so it depends on what type of photographer are you
what is more important to you?

Yes, One Portfolio is for Buyers of Arts and works.

One Portfolio or collections of personal works for Oneself.

- - - -

Photos that your Clients rejects may NOT neccessary no good in the EYES of the ARTS.

ART and Works that wins awards or voted by Artists, normally doesn't appeal to the masses, or gain commecial success.

- - - -

to capture stills of moments...you telling me there's no joy? You must be shooting lots of crap then.

So, what should we, what cold we, what must we do?

dp, aren't all these personal goals? i don't think anyone can safely say "all photographers should/must seek to improve themselves" BUT we can if we want to.

come to think of it, many people who use PnS to capture candids don't really actively seek to improve themselves. if they take a lousy photo, take again. if it's good, they print it.

it is your attitude towards photography, whether it is a hobby or just one of the millions things you do now and then, that determines what you can/should/must do.

Status
Not open for further replies.