Why do people kept repeating "Its not the equipment but the man behind the cam"?

Why do people kept repeating "Its not the equipment but the man behind the cam"?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Its not the equipment but the man behind the cam"

Haa... Ya esp when people just came out of nowhere and put up that statement.

Yap, this thread is one-sided, but my point is, whats wrong with discussing equipment? So far I don't think anone had said they really need eg hi-end cam, lenses ect to take a particular pic.

It's a fact that certain cam with certain features HELPS (Canon's action beast-1dm3, Nikon's super dark iso 25600, Olympus E3 mulit-angled LCD live-view) in taking certain pics better and EASIER.

This doesn't applies just to photography but also cars, food, entertainment blah blah blah... You're a good driver, but you'll need a super fast car to win a race, You are a good cook, you'll need good ingredients to make superb cuisine, you love great movies, you'll need good quality hi res LCD/plasma + stereo system to fully utilise the potential of your stuff.

Back to photography, some people enjoy taking pics, some people enjoy discussing their toys while there are also people who enjoy both.

i agree with u totally...i remember when i mentioned in a thread that it isn't worth paying for 17-55 (EFS) becos it cost as much as a L lens but doesn't have L quality (not weather sealed etc). i got slammed as a "lens collector" becos i talk about tech specs. but what's wrong with just stating my personal opinion? :dunno:

i like to spend money to BBB L lenses, what's wrong? :bsmilie: cant take it when ppl like to impose their view of the world on others.:thumbsd:

Agreed coolsigg

I do not think we disagree on the wisdom of the phrase. It is an invaluable advice and good alignment to what beautiful photography is about.

However you cannot stop people from suspecting an underlying acrimonious intent using it promiscuously across all context. This is especially stifling when there is indeed a genuine request for feedback. I mean .. alot of equipment threads in CS can be potentially answered by that one wisdom :bsmilie:

Of course no one appreciates a bragging gearhead.

Peace
Ryan

Broken record keeps repeating every now and then.:sticktong

it's a fine balance between both, actually..

for example, if you have a pns with maximum aperture f/8 and maximum usable iso 100 due to image noise.. and maximum shutter speed 15 seconds..

you would probably never be able to capture any landscape after an hour after the sun goes down :dunno:

the trouble is, when you start getting obsessed with one item too much, they are not mutually exclusive and people often forget that. besides, i find it a bit offensive when say, photographer a posts up good images, and photographer b comes in and starts questioning nonstop about equipment, and then asks for price, ask where to buy it from.. firstly it is after all, off-topic espeically if the thread is a picture thread and not kopitiam - this should be in kopitam btw. secondly, it has the hint that photographer b thinks that photographer a can only get that shot because of his equipment.. when there are so many other things involved.

it is always the heart behind the picture and nothing else really else matters
the value of an oof photo of an unforgettable memory has more value than a L-lens shot of a pretty model
in my opinion at least =)

Cause the newest and the greatest equipment will always tempt us.
It's like that Ferrari Enzo that overtook you when you are driving a Toyota Vios.
You wished you had it, you wished you tried it, but you know you won't get one cause it's not feasible.

no lor, jay chou's toyota pwn big big ok :bsmilie:
it's not the car, but the man behind the wheel :bsmilie::bsmilie::bsmilie:

Yap, thats the whole point! We all know that if we do not have the basic skill + upgrading process, be it in any field, we won't go far at all.

Discussing (knowing very well about own cam's function) and chasing newer technolgies (better features, faster focusing speed, less noise CMOS... ) does helps to improve better and maybe easier.

there is still a thin fine line between being interested in the technical side and obsession

and saying that people are more or less entitled to their obsession is akin to saying that drug abusers are entitled to their addiction

whatever the case, whether you break the law or not, obsession is always detrimental to a person

It is becos of "Sour Grapes"

Well because that statement is true.

You can have a Mk II, an L lens but your composition is off or your shot is blur / overexposed then it makes no different.

i see that the gearheads are sitting there and putting it down to the fact that other people cannot afford

well, if you cannot produce good pictures with whatever you have (canon mark dIII, l lens arsenal, etc), and the poor boy with the canon a70 goes ahead and wins awards in photographic competitions.. sorry, i say he is entitled to have all the laughter he wants (btw, it has happened before, pns cameras winning image competitions btw)

on another note, i wonder if anyone notices how hypocritical this thread is - it says that the people who say whatever they say should not interfere with equipment chasing because it's a free world.. so freedom comes with double standards, one is free to buy whatever he wants, but people cannot comment on it? :dunno:

I personally feely that both aspect of equipement and man is important to taking a good picture. Its true that a person with good camera doesnt mean he will take a good picture, but a person without the approraite equipement wont even be able to take one to start with.

Its not the equipment but the man behind the cam and the girl in front of it. :)

mmm.... wonder what camera Edison uses.... anyone knows?

What lens?

you nhave an L lens, mk2, your composition is off, the exposure is shitty, not two mantion handsake, but people will say (after looking or knowing that you are using those gear)... wah! pro shot! so artistic!

Well because that statement is true.

You can have a Mk II, an L lens but your composition is off or your shot is blur / overexposed then it makes no different.

Which is a better photo?

1) A well composed and relatively sharp photos with average color

or

2) A poorly composed photo with super sharp and nice color.

Which is a better photo?

1) A well composed and relatively sharp photos with average color (citic will say pic not shrap -- tinge of handsake... colors dull... but give it to her anyway, as her composition is good)

or

2) A poorly composed photo with super sharp and nice color. (citic will say ... look at that shrapness... and such rich colors...!!! -- ignoreing any mention of the poor composition -- esp. so if pic known to be taken by pro &/or pro eqipment

thta's the real life

i know there are better photographers ot there only using 300D that can take better shots than me using my 40D.

i think, saying "Its not the equipment but the man behind the cam" is only self bitterness. they just cant afford more expensive gadgets and abit expensive gadgets makes me shooting happy.;)

no lor, jay chou's toyota pwn big big ok :bsmilie:
it's not the car, but the man behind the wheel :bsmilie::bsmilie::bsmilie:

That car is AE86. Legend in Initial D la...

On mountainous winding roads, ultimately the better driver, or the one with the bigger balls to hit the brakes later, will result in a win. Yet on the straight roads, the one with the most brute strength, power, will cross the line first. (Assuming you clutch at the right time.)

Same goes to Photography.

In tough situations like events, picking out composition, framing, finding the mixture of aperture/shutter and right moment to press the trigger, the better photographer, more experienced one, will come out with a nicer image. However, situation where everything remains the same, like controlled lighting, still life, putting a pns and a dslr side by side, everything is clearly shown.

Ultimately, I still wont buy an Enzo, but I may rent one to just go out crusing for a day. Hope that applies to photography as well.

well, I used to think that "It's the photographer and not the equipment that matters" but learning from my own experience, I have to admit that there are situations where the photog can do nothing because of the limitation of the equipments.

e.g.: on the last airshow.. How I wish I had those long long tele lenses to shoot the display.. There's nothing you can do when you're stuck with the standard zoom lens :bsmilie:

so, yeah... IMHO ppl who keep saying "Its not the equipment but the man behind the cam", have to admit.. having better equipment sure does help alot :bsmilie:

i know there are better photographers ot there only using 300D that can take better shots than me using my 40D.

i think, saying "Its not the equipment but the man behind the cam" is only self bitterness. they just cant afford more expensive gadgets and abit expensive gadgets makes me shooting happy.;)

you seem to have the assumption that people would naturally upgrade if they have the money

not exactly true, a general assumption which is logically unsound :nono:

for example, i COULD buy a k20d if i so desired, but i also want to see if it offers significant improvement over what i need over the current k100d, and whether it is justifiable for me to mod the k100d to ir-only, if i would actually use it. such things needs thinking as i do not want to end up with a lot of bodies where everything is kept in cold storage. some people can live with that, i think it is silly.

Status
Not open for further replies.