Why do I hate messy hair?

Status
Not open for further replies.
CreaXion said:
I don't think the issue with u is on content. I think the main issue is your delivery which as what u say spot on. I remember in one post, pp commented abt u saying something like "piss on your face" or something like that, I dun think that is acceptable. It is uncalled for. As for if u say, "it sux" provided with the reason why, I dun think why it shd not be so. It is afterall your personal opinion. The only reason why pp are fighting back with u is because of the uncouth method that u are using which is the main issue. It also sound overly judgemental at times.
I am sure I wont be so unimaginative using "piss on your face", if I were to go that route, it will be much more colorful. the picture must be horrendous.

Photography by defination should be judgemental, therefore, my opinion will be judgemental. However, my judgements are born from true and tried basis, like messy hair. My judgement is also based on the photographer must gain and exercise full control over the making for the photograph, and part and parcel of this control, is attention to details.

Why people fight back? The funny thing is, all the photographers I commented on, I have yet to see them fight back. Some did take offense, but it's only a few. Then there is this horde of trolls who are fighting back. Actually, I really don't care.

My observation is, I am one of very few, if not the only one, who does not subscribe to the let's all be a happy family, let's all make everyone feels good and let's never offend anyone even if you have to lie, school of political correctness. I will leave before I compromise myself.

mattlock said:
DP, I think you should put a disclaimer as your signature...Replies May Cause Violent Allergies
huh???

Deadpoet said:
My observation is, I am one of very few, if not the only one, who does not subscribe to the let's all be a happy family,
Attitude like this, is one of the causes for the 911 to happen......:think:

Deadpoet said:
let's all make everyone feels good and let's never offend anyone even if you have to lie, school of political correctness. I will leave before I compromise myself.
this is not a fair statement to many of the members here because there are many here who try not to offend anyone here, but they do not resort "to lie, school of political correctness." There are many ways to do it, most of them are easy, for eg: the "ignore" button, by not replying to rubbish accusations (but one has lose quite a lot of face here), and the most simple way is to be non-confrontational and be subjective in your comments. I think many here do accept (may or may not agree to) your comments but it is the bad tone that set you miles apart. :cry:

Tetrode said:
Mary Poppins was right when she sang; "A little spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down". ;)

haha ... to a diabetic .... that little spoonful kills ...:bsmilie:

Canonised said:
Attitude like this, is one of the causes for the 911 to happen......:think:
This is the biggest load of bullsh1t I have ever read. Could you possibly over-react more if you tried.

If everyone agreed with each other then this would be a very boring world to live in. When someone posts an image, then people either comment on the aesthetics of the image and/or its technical merits. Comments like "I like it" are neither of the above, it is simply a subjective reaction. Very few (qualified or not) actually go to the trouble of analysing images and pointing out their merits and flaws. When they do they are shot down. Who cares about the delivery of the criticism, what has got to do with anything - don't like it move on, but please everyone stop being so bloody sensitive.

This is the biggest load of bullsh1t I have ever read. Could you possibly over-react more if you tried.

If everyone agreed with each other then this would be a very boring world to live in. When someone posts an image, then people either comment on the aesthetics of the image and/or its technical merits. Comments like "I like it" are neither of the above, it is simply a subjective reaction. Very few (qualified or not) actually go to the trouble of analysing images and pointing out their merits and flaws. When they do they are shot down. Who cares about the delivery of the criticism, what has got to do with anything - don't like it move on, but please everyone stop being so bloody sensitive.

Sorry, but you tend to be missing some of the issue here.

Shure, you will not care and move on. I will not care and I use the "Ignore List".

But what about the noobies ? What about those that simply want to learn.

Should they get all of this negative attitude when ever they simply try.

Shure, every one doesent have to only say positive things even when it is bad.

But being an a55hole the minute you open your mouth does not help anyone.

As far as "I like it" is concerned; if a person has nothing else to say, can't they at least let you know they like it ? .... better than ":thumbsd: "

There are many ways to do things without being a smartass.

i wonder if the wars can be started becos of messy hair....

much like the us ya....

XXXX's country people is suffering and they ask for help.
The world stood, watched, and the UN deliberated.
Some countries offered food, some offer medical, and some offered $$$ solutions.
Some countries point out the difficulties of the solutions, some point out the errors of the assumptions for the solutions
Some criticize intentions of the country proposing the solutions, some criticize the execution of the solutions.
Some countries do their work quietly, some do no work noisely.
But most will make a hooha over who made more mistakes and what should have done in the first place.

Deadpoet said:
If the admin tells me that I have to be nice to everyone and post nice comments, I will leave CS in a flash.

It's better to leave on your own than to be kicked out.

But it's still your choice.

I have no comments whether messy hair is acceptable or not.

Oh, & I'm still a newbie.

If one is not able to take hash critiques, the best way to keep everyone happy is to either not post or always to include extremely clear disclaimer that critiques are not welcome. There is nothing wrong with been honest like DP, we should stop living in a glass cage, see and feel the real world. IMHO, I feel that DP's comments are alot more constructive than "Great, I like your pic #1", "Nice pic, I love them" comments.

I for one also dislike messy hair, unless it is a clear deliberate attempt to create a messy effect.

i'm fine with DP remarks on picture critque but its the personal character attacks that i take offence with.

Harsh critiques need not be tactless critiques. "A 5 year-old can do better" is tactless. "You definitely can do better" can drive home the same message with tact. Although the above example does not illustrate a "construtive" critique, even though it is both tactless and harsh. I simply can't see how tactlessness is essential to deliver straightforward and honest opinions or make a point.

I think there's a real need to be self-reflective in a world of faceless incognito and make a fine distinction amongst the two. We exist here in a virtual community where communication is not complete. Tact can help to keep communication civil and not steer off-course. Having said that, DP is not always tactless, although mostly harsh. But I'm sure he doesn't give 2 hoots about my views on him.

It's a personal choice to be tactless. But as with many real communities, it is often not welcomed and unpopular.

the above's flame bait.

2 reasons why people post pictures.
1) to share their pictures
2) to learn how to improve
and the majority is more towards 1)

if they were towards 2)
they have also 2 choices
1) accept it as it is and ask themselves why
2) brush it off

of course unless your tolerance is so low that you go for option 3
- be angry, make a big fuss.

if that's the case, then don't post at all.

Horsba85 said:
the above's flame bait.

2 reasons why people post pictures.
1) to share their pictures
2) to learn how to improve
and the majority is more towards 1)

if they were towards 2)
they have also 2 choices
1) accept it as it is and ask themselves why
2) brush it off

of course unless your tolerance is so low that you go for option 3
- be angry, make a big fuss.

if that's the case, then don't post at all.

Very succinctly and well put!:thumbsup:

Now, enough OT, is there anything else to be said about messy/messed hair?

Deadpoet said:
I still hate messy hair. But what is messy hair?

First of all, there are many beautifully done pictures out tyhere, where the model's hair is messed up. The big difference is that, the messed up hair was intentional. It is part of the look. Here lies the difference.

Messed up hair vs. messy hair. Messed up hair is part of a look. Messy hair is plain carelessness, lack of attention to details, and bad art direction.

What exactly is messy hair? We can only let the audience judge on a case by case basis. Every picture will be different. However, if the hairs are going in 9 different directions, chances are, it's messy hair.

The photographer, if taken the time to stand back and look, will always knows, the hair was part of a messed up look or is plan messy hair.

hey poet, here's my constructive analysis on messy hair:

1. messed up hair can look like messy hair. thats straight fwd.

2. messy hair can also be converted to messed up hair. simple: look for a circumstance of naturally (occurring) messy hair, then step in and mess it up purposely

3. the photog..to be honest, cant really tell if its messed up or naturally messy hair.

4. on the model, a mess of hair some will look photogenic, some will not. as long as the final photo looks good, its ok to me.

sounds logical? ;) :cool:

user111 said:
hey poet, here's my constructive analysis on messy hair:

1. messed up hair can look like messy hair. thats straight fwd.

2. messy hair can also be converted to messed up hair. simple: look for a circumstance of naturally (occurring) messy hair, then step in and mess it up purposely

3. the photog..to be honest, cant really tell if its messed up or naturally messy hair.

4. on the model, a mess of hair some will look photogenic, some will not. as long as the final photo looks good, its ok to me.

sounds logical? ;) :cool:
Sounds logical, but, a BIG but ...

The photographer gets the most of the credit, but all of the blame, hense, it is important to be in control of the shoot - from make up to styling to posing to exposure, and don't forgot post processing. We must know what we did and how we did it. Ofcourse the final product is paramount, but how we get there is just as important, if not more.

If you intend the image to have a messed up hair look, fine, go do it, execute it well, and you have a great image. Go for it!

And wat's wrong with his critiques?

I for one will not be offended by such remarks if I do post up crappy pictures. It's my fault if I do so anyway, and all mine alone. The part I dun figure out is when by-standers start attacking individuals left, right and centre just because they dun like how certain phrases sound.

Similarly, when there are personal attacks on users i.e. in post #52 and #55, they are plainly ignored, so what is the justice in here? I'm not trying to stand on any side here. But it does seem to me that things may be a lil skewed in perspective in here.

shinken said:
Harsh critiques need not be tactless critiques. "A 5 year-old can do better" is tactless. "You definitely can do better" can drive home the same message with tact. Although the above example does not illustrate a "construtive" critique, even though it is both tactless and harsh. I simply can't see how tactlessness is essential to deliver straightforward and honest opinions or make a point.

I think there's a real need to be self-reflective in a world of faceless incognito and make a fine distinction amongst the two. We exist here in a virtual community where communication is not complete. Tact can help to keep communication civil and not steer off-course. Having said that, DP is not always tactless, although mostly harsh. But I'm sure he doesn't give 2 hoots about my views on him.

It's a personal choice to be tactless. But as with many real communities, it is often not welcomed and unpopular.

Well analysed. Online communication has its limitations.:thumbsup:

It boils down to the intent of the person commenting. Is he/she:

a) a kind friend who wishes from the bottom of his/her heart, that the picture poster will improve by imparting certain skills he has?

b) an annoyed neighbour who wants to shut the kids next door up, without any kind intent?

c) A55hole drill sergant who takes it out on the recruits to make himself feel big?

For the picture poster, be humble, learn as much, and ignore type b and c (thank them for their time nevertheless).

To be frank, among all the forums I have been, this forum has the most animosity and some of the forumers are really crude. Reputation have gotten so bad that the mere mention of the forum's name reaps erk from the people.

Anyway one good practise from a friend of mine, who is a moderator of another forum for the forumers is 'Behave or be gone'. Moderators should remove postings or even ban those forumers that create conflicts and disturbs the harmony of the forum, instead of letting them shoot their mouth off time and again.

Then again, just citing my opinion, not pin-pointing anybody as troublemaker. (Better put disclaimer first, otherwise kanna flame.)

Lastly one of the reason why I hate messy hair is that it's tough to select them in photoshop, especially against a dark background. Real killer for a newb. Hahaha.

Mr Cyber monkey,

Point taken.

If you are given comments like what DP usually gave it to newbie, in his sarcastic and harsh manner, you will take it delightfully?

Let me try it on you.

cyber_m0nkey said:

Status
Not open for further replies.