Why can't i format DigiMateIII with FAT32?

Status
Not open for further replies.
haha fat32 must be <32GB... thats y... but you can simple do a partition on the same screen as well... don need any other software. :thumbsup:

iirc digimate is able to continue using the 2nd...3rd...(and so on) FAT32 partitions when the first one is full.

now dat u mentioned it, i dun get full 40GB. a bit of the storage is taken up by some partitioning in PM. :think:

still, lesson learnt. just buy the hdd fm the shop and DIY the formatting. :sweatsm:

eh 80GB... need to do a partition in window before formatting.

I see..

IMO, digimate directly connect to PC running XP not able to format single partition into fat32.
Got to use Win98 or ME OS then can.
Else got to direct connect the 2.5" HDD only to the PC PATA port using the 2.5"-3.5"
converter which cost around $10 in SLS.

Last time using Digimate II Plus, I bought the HDD from the shop and get them to format
into Fat32 before I install it into the case.

For Compactdrive PD7X or PD70X, can download their software to format the HDD.

Seems like there are a lot of misinformation posted here, so let's clear things up a bit:

1. FAT32 can support a maximum partition size of 8 tera bytes, not just 32G as some might believe. This confusion is mainly caused by the reason given in 2 below.
2. XP does support FAT32. However, Microsoft had put in a 32G limitation when partitioning, in order to encourage migration to NTFS. This means that XP is able to read FAT32 partition greater then 32G without problems, but is only able to partition to 32G.
3. A few of the many options to format your HDD > 32G in FAT32: (a) split them into smaller partitions of 32G each in XP. If you want the entire size in 1 partition, you could: (b) partition and format them using Win98 boot disk. (c) use partition magic.

So there you go. :)

Thanks a lot bros............. I format 32 GB with FAT32 and the rest with NTFS.

In addition to what our mod ziploc had mentioned, here are some more info that i found out.
(1) Windows xp can read and write from/to FAT32 partitions larger than 32GB. XP can format the FAT32 up to 32GB only and it is by design, according to Microsoft white paper.

(2) FAT is a way to share data between different operating systems (e.g linux and windows)

(3) The maximum file size for FAT32 is only up to 4 GB.

(4) For better read and write time, FAT partitions should be defragmented regularly. This is due to fragments scatter over the entire media when files are deleted and new files are written)

(5) FAT32 partition goes beyond 32GB, the cluster size that is used jumps from 16K to 32K, thus "wasting" far more drive space when small files are stored.

Yes that's right. :thumbsup: :)

Status
Not open for further replies.