Who will buy the upcoming Nikon Mirrorless?

WHO will buy the upcoming Nikon Mirrorless?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Such lenses and at that zoom distance, you need to tripod it anyway.

With the F mount adaptor, plus your siggy, you're going to have a weird-looking contraption - two lens feet! But who cares eh? As long as the picture is good, extreme zoom... even m4/3 users who adapted Nikkor zooms to capitalise on 2x factor is now going to be looking short changed... ;)

a crop factor of 2.7

the sensor is just too small
a big crop factor might be good for birding (maybe?) but you can always CROP it if the same shot is taken from a full fledged DSLR with a smaller crop factor

would get the EP-3 or GF-3 over this, Maybe even NEX-7 for it's big sensor

but not this

Just my two cents >.>

A very small sensor.

A Crop Factor of 2.7

Completely new lenses

No Thanks !

I pass ..........

:confused::confused::confused:

Rocky78 said:
A very small sensor.

A Crop Factor of 2.7

Completely new lenses

No Thanks !

I pass ..........

:confused::confused::confused:

I think Nikon saw the big gap between PnS sensor sizes and the M4/3 and decided that there must be a market there and so went for it. In the same way, M4/3 exploited the gap between APS-C and PnS and came up a winner. Nikon probably judged that M4/3 is too crowded already. But this time the gap is a lot smaller than the one filled by M4/3. Only time will tell if they made the right call.

Dun waste time buying a small sensor. Even 1.5x sensor can't make it liao

tweakmax3 said:
Dun waste time buying a small sensor. Even 1.5x sensor can't make it liao

No lah dun waste time on full frame oso lah go straight to large format. the sensor machiam face towel sia.

I planed to buy a light weight Nikon mirrorless body to partner with my D7000.But now I can save up my money as the new mirrorless bodys are too light (2.7x).
Thanks to Nikon. :bsmilie:

I am very happy with my M4/3 stuff....The Nikon rig is to late and just playing catchup...Plus the sensor is small....Basically another silly idea to get more cash from Brand loyal folks...I'm not sure that this new cam can do anything new that my M4/3 or the future Nex7 or for that matter any other camera can do... What I really want is a FF true rangefinder in Digital like the Nikon S2 or S3....

Cheers

hmmm...to :bsmilie: or to :cry: huh?...for this new-approach-concept/design, huh? Goodness...never before so:( with Nikon's product:bheart:man.....sigh!!!!!

Well, all I can say now is...pray hard-hard that the "final-output" will not:bheart:when/after viewing, seriously...!!!

Last edited:
i am afraid nikon is going to do it again, as in give their consumers disappointment instead of satisfaction just like in the beginning of prosumer camera race and dslr race. It will take a while for them to refine their "mirrorless" system. Future Nikon mirrorless will be better after they finally realize that's not consumers want if they revamp their "mirrorless" system. Potential buyers watch out! :confused:

007 said:
i am afraid nikon is going to do it again, as in give their consumers disappointment instead of satisfaction just like in the beginning of prosumer camera race and dslr race. It will take a while for them to refine their "mirrorless" system. Future Nikon mirrorless will be better after they finally realize that's not consumers want if they revamp their "mirrorless" system. Potential buyers watch out! :confused:

I have an insider friend in Honda. He says that every Honda car sold here must obtain permission from Japan Honda's engineering side. In Honda, the engineering dept is king and has final say in all matters. Sales dept and customers only provide feedback. So I guess that's how Japanese companies are run.

Not sure whether the new pancake 14-42 will be as good as the present 14-42 or will there be a compromise? It has taken soooooo long for someone to come forth with this pancake zoom design....there must be some serious underlying reasons why it has not been done much earlier. Any optical experts here ?

Clearly the new Nikon 1 system isn't aimed squarely at current DSLR users - interview with Nikon's head by dpreview member indicates so. Therefore, even if we strongly protests, won't buy, pour cold water, etc, etc... It is not going to affect their decisions. This is a range for emerging markets (people who haven't even considered the DSLRs / m4/3 / AP-C mirrorless, etc). There is a baby born every minute, there is a boy / girl who has begun to show interest in photography, a wife / husband / mom / dad / grand dad / grandma who wants to start shooting their kids / grandchildren in school / sports and finding the traditional modes of photography intimidating and daunting for them to start (talking about the P/S/A/M modes)... If some of current DSLR users decides to subcribe to the new "formula" of shooting, well and good - as there will always be ready buyers from the current pool, even if it's just a passing fad for them... This pool is going to be small anyway, and I'll bet Nikon already expected this. C'mon, its not new and they are not blind to the negative feedbacks they often received on the field / NR / internet forums etc. Do you still think they doing it to satisfy the current DSLR / M4/3 / AP-C Mirrorless users? Nope...

Does anyone remember the time when Nikon entered the new Digital age with their D1? How many were naysayers back then - Digital replacing film - "ptooi" ? I trust quite a lot! And look at where they are now!

And for the record, I'm still on the fence with this one... ;o)

Last edited:
I have an insider friend in Honda. He says that every Honda car sold here must obtain permission from Japan Honda's engineering side. In Honda, the engineering dept is king and has final say in all matters. Sales dept and customers only provide feedback. So I guess that's how Japanese companies are run.
Exactly. If Nikon can adopt Sony's philosophy in DSLR & mirrorless.

One thing I dislike is that they come out with this mirrorless system, in future, they have no choice, but to revamp the system, it's pain for their consumers to use back old system. e.g.:

Nikon 1 system- Nikon 1 mount, Nikon 1 flash, LCD finder.
After couple of years...... (if they revamp the old system)
Nikon X system- Nikon X mount, Nikon X flash, etc

What happen to the people who bought complete set of lenses,accessories for Nikon 1 system? Disappointment, isn't? Is there forward/backward compatibility? For m4/3 at least it is a m4/3 mount and compatible with range of M.Zuiko Digital lenses (with adapter), E system hotshoe;compatible with Olympus flashguns.

Does anyone remember the time when Nikon entered the new Digital age with their D1? How many were naysayers back then - Digital replacing film - "ptooi" ? I trust quite a lot! And look at where they are now!

from flim to digital is a TECHNOLOGY EVOLUTION , some might even consider it to be a technological breakthrough

from full frame to APS-C to Micro Four Thirds , to 2.7X crop factor

Where's the technological breakthrough, is there any fundamentally new science behind???

When my friend got his D7000, and when i look at 100% crops of high ISO performance of the D3s
I'm very impressed. I respected Nikon for putting competitors in check which ultimately benefit consumers.

But when I read about this up and coming Mirrorless................... ....... ... . . . . . well you get the idea

i'm not so sure. i've worked at Olympus Technologies Singapore, plus been to the HQ in Tokyo a couple of times for short attachments. my experience doesn't really seem like what you describe.

Clearly the new Nikon 1 system isn't aimed squarely at current DSLR users - interview with Nikon's head by dpreview member indicates so. Therefore, even if we strongly protests, won't buy, pour cold water, etc, etc... It is not going to affect their decisions. This is a range for emerging markets (people who haven't even considered the DSLRs / m4/3 / AP-C mirrorless, etc). There is a baby born every minute, there is a boy / girl who has begun to show interest in photography, a wife / husband / mom / dad / grand dad / grandma who wants to start shooting their kids / grandchildren in school / sports and finding the traditional modes of photography intimidating and daunting for them to start (talking about the P/S/A/M modes)... If some of current DSLR users decides to subcribe to the new "formula" of shooting, well and good - as there will always be ready buyers from the current pool, even if it's just a passing fad for them... This pool is going to be small anyway, and I'll bet Nikon already expected this. C'mon, its not new and they are not blind to the negative feedbacks they often received on the field / NR / internet forums etc. Do you still think they doing it to satisfy the current DSLR / M4/3 / AP-C Mirrorless users? Nope...

I think the article said Nikon mirrorless is aimed at the Facebook market (hint: IQ will be just right for facebook). at the lower price point, you might be able to convince other family members to choose such a system over another PnS (then you can borrow & try out). I can see a lot of fun coming... shooting a bird in flight at 60fps with a telephoto lens (assuming the AF is fast enough), or shooting your favorite soccer player at a stadium as he kicks the ball into the goal.

Last edited:
from flim to digital is a TECHNOLOGY EVOLUTION , some might even consider it to be a technological breakthrough

from full frame to APS-C to Micro Four Thirds , to 2.7X crop factor

Where's the technological breakthrough, is there any fundamentally new science behind???

When my friend got his D7000, and when i look at 100% crops of high ISO performance of the D3s
I'm very impressed. I respected Nikon for putting competitors in check which ultimately benefit consumers.

But when I read about this up and coming Mirrorless................... ....... ... . . . . . well you get the idea

60fps is a breakthrough
fastest AF is a breakthrough

you need to look past the comparison to a dslr, it is not meant to be a dslr replacement, they sell too many dslrs to do that
but if i would buy it would depend on the actual selling price at the shops

i will wait for hands on experience before i make a verdict.

btw there are image samples on dpreview,
i can't wait to test a production unit to see what it can do

can i sell away my advance P&S cameras?

With the F mount adaptor, plus your siggy, you're going to have a weird-looking contraption - two lens feet! But who cares eh? As long as the picture is good, extreme zoom... even m4/3 users who adapted Nikkor zooms to capitalise on 2x factor is now going to be looking short changed... ;)

The F adapter for the Nikon 1 is going for 229 Sterling pounds (SGD$460) :(

60fps is a breakthrough
fastest AF is a breakthrough

you need to look past the comparison to a dslr, it is not meant to be a dslr replacement, they sell too many dslrs to do that
but if i would buy it would depend on the actual selling price at the shops

i will wait for hands on experience before i make a verdict.

Agree... also the various video modes... including taking a shot during video. Not a videocam user but I think it is a first.