Who still shoot Slide Film here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I actually started off with digital. Been using it for 6 years now. I'm very pleased with it actually. It gives lovely colours and all but that's probably because i use a Fuji S5pro. But the more i shoot, the more i feel like i'm going backwards. Backwards in terms of technology. I don't use any auto function at all other then Aperature piority. But with so much technology around us, do we really need it? Take VR for example, i've never found myself being in a situation where by i thought VR would be useful. Then i took my first real step backwards. I went to get a MF lens. It was lovely to use. But somehow it still felt like something was missing. And now i'm picking up film. Got myself a 2nd hand FE2 and to be honest, i love the feel of it. Kinda disappointed with the scanning service thou. This is my personal opinion, you have to look into the past before you can move further into the future.

I think digital shooter have a different mentality from film shooter.

Film shooter will think and plan what to shoot, ie. composition.

Digital shooter is like wack 100 shots and hope for 5 to make it..... and they think they can go Pro liao!!!

What total rubbish!

Never speak in generalisations as someone will come along and chop you to bits....

Any photographer worth his or her salt will make no substantial change in their approach to a shot, be it digital or film based. What will vary are the techniques involved and an understanding of the limitations of each recording medium, but this is no different in reality to shooting with 2 different types of emulsion.

Oh and incase you don't know, I am a professional photographer and there is no difference in my standards for digital or film based work. I aim for, and achieve a 90% successful shot ratio. Like most seasoned professionals (and many serious amateurs) there is no point and pray mentality in my work.

Last edited:
What total rubbish!

Never speak in generalisations as someone will come along and chop you to bits....

Any photographer worth his or her salt will make no substantial change in their approach to a shot, be it digital or film based. What will vary are the techniques involved and an understanding of the limitations of each recording medium, but this is no different in reality to shooting with 2 different types of emulsion.

Oh and incase you don't know, I am a professional photographer and there is no difference in my standards for digital or film based work. I aim for, and achieve a 90% successful shot ratio. Like most seasoned professionals (and many serious amateurs) there is no point and pray mentality in my work.
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

What total rubbish!

Any photographer worth his or her salt will make no substantial change in their approach to a shoot, be it digital or film based. QUOTE]

Totally true even in future if I were to embrace digital will still shoot the way I shoot film
no changes what so ever.

What total rubbish!

Well... I was expressing my opinion and if it is total rubbish, then, be it.... Provided you understand it TOTALLY from MINE perspective in the first place. If you can chop or want to... just have a go...

Generalization is commonly practiced... Baby boy wear blue, and gal wear pink..... for example... a baby usually is a boy if he is wearing blue... Man have a lower average life span than woman... so you expect woman to live longer than a man.... Or this is not acceptable at all since it is generalization?

Beside..... cost of shooting films vs digital is different... on a per shot basis, film will cost more.... so is it not common that people will be more careful with their shooting if it will Cost in film vs digital???

Some one who never used film... ie. the younger generation.... vs those middle age guys who started off with film... they will tend to do random shooting... They just wack and wack, and as long as everyone is in the frame.... I am talking of AMATEUR...

I am not referring to serious photographer.... but when they moved on to more serious photography, there will be this tendency in them.....

But as they matured.... they will be more selective and careful in their composition.... Their style will also change in one ways or another....

Even for a PRO photographer, if you do not evolve your style over time, you will be stale and out dated... changes happens in every where and in every thing that revolves around us...

"Digital shooter is like wack 100 shots and hope for 5 to make it..... and they think they can go Pro liao!!!"

You may felt offended because I used the phrase above.... For your information, I read in some Mag... that a wild life photographer said he is happy if 10% - 20% of his shot can make it to print.... and he shot over 1000 shots in 2-3 days span....

Beside, I made that remark with reference to wedding semi-PRO.... Some of them would need to check their LCD after every shot.... if it is not because of digital... how many semi-PRO dare to go shooting wedding with films??? Not as many as now...

"Oh and incase you don't know, I am a professional photographer and there is no difference in my standards for digital or film based work. I aim for, and achieve a 90% successful shot ratio. Like most seasoned professionals (and many serious amateurs) there is no point and pray mentality in my work."

It is good if you can keep it at 90%.... seriously, the way a film and digital SLR works is not unlike. But you can only speak for yourself the keeper rate is different from people to people.... As the quote I made above on wild life photographer... it is different for different type of photography.... 10% - 20% rate only....

It is all a matter of perception....

Last edited:
Totally true even in future if I were to embrace digital will still shoot the way I shoot film
no changes what so ever.

That is cos you started off with film.

Try to see those who started off without film experience.

yes i'm still shooting slide & wont give up unless Fuji gives up on me!! :cry: Any of u guys using Nikon Coolscan 8000ED, 9000ED or V750,V700 to scan ur slides? I've no $ to buy digital back like H2D, H3D-II, H4D...Mamiya now comes up with 645DF with Sneider Kreuznach lens man!!! Super super sharp. Thinking of buying Mamiya 7 II & invest in Coolscan? Ya i think some of u will scold me crazy. Too bad my dad isn't a banker.

To a large extent, i tend to be more careful when I am using shooting with film. haha..
I guess it's because of the limited amount of films i have and the cost of processing + scanning (which is a bummer). But towards the end of the day, when i have several more frames to finish, anything goes! LOL. :)

Which part of the issue are you supporting?

Ian sharing from the perspective of a professional photographer (but not to generalise them!).

For me, it's about play play play play play, for him, it's his living :)

Ian sharing from the perspective of a professional photographer (but not to generalise them!).

I believe everyone here is here to share and learn, and no one is out to engage hostility here....

He can be a Professional for all I care.... but if you support someone just because he is a Professional Photographer and he made a comment without you seriously considered the details of his comment, I guess you can do yourself a favour, and learn not to follow and support blindly just because he is a PROFESSIONAL.....

After all, you can afford to go Perth and play and play while studying.... you can waste your life playing and live it blindly at the same time if you wish to.... I am sure your parent can afford.

But have you ever thought of what you want to do in your life? Or have you ever thought of what you can do for them?

I have stood by what I have said, and I will do so like in my comment to you above.

After all, you can afford to go Perth and play and play while studying.... you can waste your life playing and live it blindly at the same time if you wish to.... I am sure your parent can afford.

I'm Australian, born, studied, live and work here, funded my own studies and play.

I like to play.

kthxbai

I believe everyone here is here to share and learn, and no one is out to engage hostility here....

He can be a Professional for all I care.... but if you support someone just because he is a Professional Photographer and he made a comment without you seriously considered the details of his comment, I guess you can do yourself a favour, and learn not to follow and support blindly just because he is a PROFESSIONAL.....

But have you ever thought of what you want to do in your life? Or have you ever thought of what you can do for them?

I have stood by what I have said, and I will do so like in my comment to you above.

Halfmoon, I'll testify for adamadam, having had the pleasure of meeting him in person and as such, I can safely say that in your haste to rebutt Ian's rather truthful statement, you have no clue what you're saying.

Adamadam's a nice, well-mannered (I've not met anyone here who is as well-mannered as he is) and responsible young man who just so happens to enjoy life, but that aside, it sounds like your replies are getting quite hostile, and you've made it a personal attack on him, his choice to enjoy life as well as taking the opportunity to insult his parents.

What, may I ask, gives you the authority to both attack him and his family, and question what or who he is, and of what value he is in life, and to his family?

Last edited:
Depends on which format they start out with... but I would imagine once anyone shot film before, they should be less trigger happy.... :bsmilie:

Doesn't and didn't matter to me. The only "extra" that I learnt through film is darkroom techniques. The wet darkroom techniques could actually be extended to digital post processing, that's all.

I don't know what your "background" is, but your replies so far are... :nono:

Why is people arguing about this. Do a survey to prove a point. Personally i would agree that a digital shooter would initially just shoot and hope to get something good. But that doesn't mean he or she won't change. Its like saying wow i have a car but i suck... Its ok as long as it moves. I'm very sure that person will try to improve. To me, its the same. The digital shooter will improve. And if that shooter really likes photography he or she would some day pick up a film camera and give it a try. Just like how i did.

I don't know what your "background" is, but your replies so far are... :nono:

I am just someone who like photography and not even good enough for sidelining, and I shared my view, and someone come in and said what I commented is "total rubbish". It does sound nice when he added... in case someone come in to chop me, but he already did.

If you think it is ok to you... it is fine, but it is not to me.

Why is people arguing about this. Do a survey to prove a point. Personally i would agree that a digital shooter would initially just shoot and hope to get something good. But that doesn't mean he or she won't change. Its like saying wow i have a car but i suck... Its ok as long as it moves. I'm very sure that person will try to improve. To me, its the same. The digital shooter will improve. And if that shooter really likes photography he or she would some day pick up a film camera and give it a try. Just like how i did.

Thank you for trying to diffuse the situation.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.