Who still shoot Slide Film here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Halfmoon, I'll testify for adamadam, having had the pleasure of meeting him in person and as such, I can safely say that in your haste to rebutt Ian's rather truthful statement, you have no clue what you're saying.

Adamadam's a nice, well-mannered (I've not met anyone here who is as well-mannered as he is) and responsible young man who just so happens to enjoy life, but that aside, it sounds like your replies are getting quite hostile, and you've made it a personal attack on him, his choice to enjoy life as well as taking the opportunity to insult his parents.

What, may I ask, gives you the authority to both attack him and his family, and question what or who he is, and of what value he is in life, and to his family?

I agree I have gone off course in my reply to Adam, but not to Ian's... the Ang Mo Professional Photographer from Hell....

Look... if I disagree with some one, I think I will not start off with "What total rubbish"..... to someone comment. You do not find it offending at all??? Good rubbish then...

So coming to first part... when you meant Ian's truthful statement, you meant he is correct?

Which part did I sound like I am insulting his parent?

You have the opportunity to meet him, I do not, and he only gave me the impression of he is fun loving, and seems like his only thing in life is play play play...... how responsible is he? He does not sound much to me in his replies here... just play play play...

But you know him, you seen him... so that is something you know, and I do not.

I asked him these, "But have you ever thought of what you want to do in your life? Or have you ever thought of what you can do for them?"

Question 1... Is this not a valid question to someone who is studying what he want's to do in his life??? Do you think a person can just play play play for all his life?? Of course, if the family is rich enough... he actually can, and be a spoil brat.

Question 2.... This question, to ask what you can do for your parent. You never thought of what you can do to make your parent proud, make their life easier, make them happy??

To me, I need not think I need authority to ask a question like I did. I posed two questions that I thought people will ask generally, and what I really wanted is for him to think about his life and direction.... and make his parent happy.... This two questions are what I asked myself frequently too for your information.

A famous quote: Ask not what your nation can do for you but what you can do for your nation. I like these kind of quotes... and I think about these a lot....

http://forums.delphiforums.com/3in1kopitiam/messages

I questioning Adam cos I felt that he supported Ian's cos he is a Professional Photographer than read through my comment. I am just generalizing the style of shooting from my view.... and I got insulted... for no so reason, and someone say it is :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:...

Last edited:
It's nice of you to respond Halfmoon.

Thank you, and thanks for clarifying that your beef was with Ian, and not adamadam, but unfortunately, he got dragged into the fray, and not in a very nice fashion.

I won't go into the details except to say that it appears a lot of presumptions and generalizations are made, and that the chosen line of thought, an over reliance of generalization (as truth, and also expecting others to accept the same vein) and questioning seem to assume stance of 'correctness'.

Of course, we are all human, and I too make assumptions, but I try to tell myself these days, more often (I hope), to stop, think and consider all possibilities and find out more facts, or observe for much longer before I form an opinion.

To assume that one has a right to question another individual in a manner that could cast doubt about his character, choices in life or domestic arrangements especially involving parents AND present that to a public audience is, to me, being presumptuous at the very least, more so when one has not taken any effort to find out more about that person, preferably facts, as alluded by your own admission. At any rate, the internet presents us only with what people choose to present us with.

Actually, blue was color often associated with girls. It was only later on that people and popular practices changed the gender equation and therefore, perception. Just like Marlboro was originally a 'prim and proper' ladies' tea cigarette way before the brand positioning was shifted to that of a macho, outdoor cowboy persona. There's always more than what's on the surface in life ... even in generalizations.

I agree I have gone off course in my reply to Adam, but not to Ian's... the Ang Mo Professional Photographer from Hell....

Look... if I disagree with some one, I think I will not start off with "What total rubbish"..... to someone comment. You do not find it offending at all??? Good rubbish then...

So coming to first part... when you meant Ian's truthful statement, you meant he is correct?

Which part did I sound like I am insulting his parent?

You have the opportunity to meet him, I do not, and he only gave me the impression of he is fun loving, and seems like his only thing in life is play play play...... how responsible is he? He does not sound much to me in his replies here... just play play play...

But you know him, you seen him... so that is something you know, and I do not.

I asked him these, "But have you ever thought of what you want to do in your life? Or have you ever thought of what you can do for them?"

Question 1... Is this not a valid question to someone who is studying what he want's to do in his life??? Do you think a person can just play play play for all his life?? Of course, if the family is rich enough... he actually can, and be a spoil brat.

Question 2.... This question, to ask what you can do for your parent. You never thought of what you can do to make your parent proud, make their life easier, make them happy??

To me, I need not think I need authority to ask a question like I did. I posed two questions that I thought people will ask generally, and what I really wanted is for him to think about his life and direction.... and make his parent happy.... This two questions are what I asked myself frequently too for your information.

A famous quote: Ask not what your nation can do for you but what you can do for your nation. I like these kind of quotes... and I think about these a lot....

http://forums.delphiforums.com/3in1kopitiam/messages

I questioning Adam cos I felt that he supported Ian's cos he is a Professional Photographer than read through my comment. I am just generalizing the style of shooting from my view.... and I got insulted... for no so reason, and someone say it is :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:...

Last edited:
It's nice of you to respond Halfmoon.

Thank you, and thanks for clarifying that your beef was with Ian, and not adamadam, but unfortunately, he got dragged into the fray, and not in a very nice fashion.

I won't go into the details except to say that it appears a lot of presumptions and generalizations are made, and that the chosen line of thought, an over reliance of generalization (as truth, and also expecting others to accept the same vein) and questioning seem to assume stance of 'correctness'.

Of course, we are all human, and I too make assumptions, but I try to tell myself these days, more often (I hope), to stop, think and consider all possibilities and find out more facts, or observe for much longer before I form an opinion.

To assume that one has a right to question another individual in a manner that could cast doubt about his character, choices in life or domestic arrangements especially involving parents AND present that to a public audience is, to me, being presumptuous at the very least, more so when one has not taken any effort to find out more about that person, preferably facts, as alluded by your own admission. At any rate, the internet presents us only with what people choose to present us with.

Actually, blue was color often associated with girls. It was only later on that people and popular practices changed the gender equation and therefore, perception. Just like Marlboro was originally a 'prim and proper' ladies' tea cigarette way before the brand positioning was shifted to that of a macho, outdoor cowboy persona. There's always more than what's on the surface in life ... even in generalizations.

I do not enjoy coming in this forum to "fight" and I would like to clear this part off the record too if possible. I have fought enough on other forum and I only am keen to come in to have some leisure relaxation here.

Who would be that honest and be truthful here? I do not believe everyone here are that truthful all the time. Even my best friend whom I know for 10 over years, I can say I only know 60-70% of him.... Neither will I not think about what I have said without some consideration.....

I have a look of his pictures.... He has been to Swiss.... Hyde park... Scotland road... buckingham palace... louver Paris, Vienna, France.... and the caption made by him.... I try to understand what kind of person he is. I do think he have an eye for photography....

From certain perspectives, I believe he has a joyful family, and it is good for him. But from his play play play remarks here... and looking at his pictures... I am concern.....

One of his picture caption was "When I should be studying..." and another was "If I take nice photographs of mum, I hope I won't get scolded for buying my gear!"

I would really want him to think about those 2 questions.... What would make any parent more proud other than their childs achievement in life? I am concern.... because I think a lot of the young generation (in SG) are wasting their life..... just having fun.... and fun, and fun......

This was my intent. No doubt I do not know him, but a picture tells a story....

If you talk about the colors for gal or boy, I think you are missing the point that generalization usage is based on the accepted norm. And I term it as HISTORY... rather than indepth understanding.

Last edited:
There is time for study, work and play;
I like to play, play and play, but also had to study and have to work..
There is a time for work and a time for play.
Photography is my play, I will enjoy it when I can. There is nothing wrong with this.
When buying gear, with my own-worked money, I will talk to my parents.

From a player's perspective, I've moved from shooting digital to film and have shot a total of 54 rolls since completing my studies mid-last year.
That is less than I would do if I were using digital, but that's just for me. I have a friend who (also plays), and can go through a roll super-quick!

A picture tells a story, but a picture also lies. A picture does not tell the whole story. Even a collection of photographs will often not tell a complete story.
Look at any player's 'portfolio' or online-display of photographs, many times they are just a selection from many photographs and not representative of all the photographs they take. One could be deceived into thinking that every photograph which proceeds from the player is also going to be beautiful.

Thank you for sharing your views on photography and life.

Time to go to work (to make a difference in the world and get more money for play)! kthxbai

It's all about choices here.Adamadam makes his choice and so does Halfmoon and the only
thing here is 'Take responsibilty for the choices one makes' period.

I thought slide films already been phased out.

Halfmoon, this will be my last post on this subject as I do not want to detract from the thread any longer.

I don't know about you, but my observations were never meant to start a fight. I am sorry if you feel that way, or look at things as such. I even ensured that the way I worded my post was non-accusatory or inflammatory.

> michele21, Slide film (and negatives) are still very much in production. The only film that was phased out was Kodachrome. Availability is another issue, with many emulsions not available here, especially in larger formats.

Here's a list of places still selling slides and negatives, and where they can be processed.

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=513023

CHEERS!

Some one who never used film... ie. the younger generation.... vs those middle age guys who started off with film... they will tend to do random shooting... They just wack and wack, and as long as everyone is in the frame.... I am talking of AMATEUR...
Well... I consider myself to be the younger generation(<20) and still shoot 35mm negs though my main format is digital. There still are a few young film shooters and some even shoot with RFs (Such as me and another Singaporean youth who shoots a Leica). And as for the statement "whack and whack" I think that you are generally right though there are a handful of exceptions.

I personally shoot with a Voigtlander R3a and a Leica 40 cron FYI.

I thought slide films already been phased out.
As Dream Merchant has said, slide film has not died. However, I have noticed that some are rarely in stock nowadays... Maybe the Singapore market is being less looked at as the huge majority of Singaporean photogs have turned to digital.

BTW I still have 10 rolls of colour slide film - Velvia 100 which I will be letting go since I prefer to shoot B&W nowadays.

Thank you for sharing your views on photography and life.

Time to go to work (to make a difference in the world and get more money for play)! kthxbai

Enjoy yourself.

Let's close this chapter, and should you be in Singapore in future.... I would not mind buying you a drink or coffee.... if you are keen...

Halfmoon, this will be my last post on this subject as I do not want to detract from the thread any longer.

I don't know about you, but my observations were never meant to start a fight. I am sorry if you feel that way, or look at things as such. I even ensured that the way I worded my post was non-accusatory or inflammatory.

CHEERS!

You views has never constitute to me as fight... I had faced a lot of foes in the past, and yours never sounded like one to me looking for a fight.

Mine on the other hand does have much more bites.

Anyway... let's not OTT... and if you are free... we can always go for a coffee or something.

Anybody knows any idea when MF slide films going to die in Spore? Reason for asking is bcoz Nikon is going to stop supporting Coolscan very soon, so if i invest then support stops...i'll be DEAD & DAMNED !!! :sweat::sweat::sweat:

Status
Not open for further replies.