Who is learning driving now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually that's a quite good idea. In my old home town, they replaced junctions with roundabouts and narrowed some roads with "obstacles" that require curving around every now and then in residential areas. At first, all the drivers were agsint it. But after a few years later, it proved very effective not only in terms of controlling speed, but also with respect to traffic noise and smooth traffic flow.

Hmm... looks like LTA's got quite a bit to learn from F1. ;p Only problem is it's going to take up some real estate.

No.. One of the humps in one of the HDB car parks. ;p

Maybe that explains why I see so many MPVs here. One of my neighbors in a road with many speedbumps drives a land rover ... :)

For all the zhhnnnnnged cars, taking the roadsweeper/spoiler off might help a lot ;).

Hello CSnappers!
Need some driving tips and help here.

To cut the long story short - I passed my driving test on February 15 (yay, finally!!!). Within three weeks, my family went to test drive several Japanese-brand sedans and finally got one last week. It's a 2.3l Nissan Cefiro and length-wise, its a pretty long yet spacious car. In my family, only my Dad and I knows how to drive.

Okay this is the BIG problem - after passing my driving test, I have HUGE problems with parking. It is now slightly more than a week since my family got the car. So far, I am using the car more than my Dad (my Dad doesn't drive it to work because the season parking at his working place is madness). For vertical parking, suddenly I feel very very frightened to park my car WITHOUT the poles. I suddenly lost my 'direction' to steer and especially the point where I have to turn my steering wheel. If I have 2 or more consecutive parking slots together (read: huge space), then somehow I have no problem. Its the tiny space, e.g., parking slot between 2 cars that makes me nervous. Then I will go find a larger slot to park. In the long run, this isn't very helpful because this means more fuel consumption and there will be one day I will be forced to park my car under limited space.

Any experienced drivers can share how to park under constrained spaces without damaging my car? What is a good way to learn?

Also, is it just me but since I started driving, I feel extremely tired; especially at the end of the day after all the driving. I don't know why, but I hope this is going to be one of those phases that will pass eventually.

I will appreciate if any experienced drivers out there can give some advice.

Thanks! :)

{mich}

aiyo, mich, start a new thread lah...

the TS already gotten his license and now offer to be free driver...

to your qn, i think u should not get a cefiro as a 1st car... its spacious, and big... lucky not a camry... the old one... thats a parking killer for newbies...

normally, if i am parking for eg, i'm on the left side of a 2 way lane, and i see a lot on the right, i'll do a turn towards right then do a bit swerve to the left then reverse, so that by that time, my car is already 45degree into the lot, unlike normal, its 90 degree into the lot.

same for if you are on the left lane and have a lot on the left. you just swerve alot to the right, then turn in, make your car seem 45degree.

Del_CtrlnoAlt have gave one of the best suggestion for parking.

IMO, big car or small car not much difference. everything boil down to practice.
go to HDB MSCP at 11.00pm to practice your parking...
park beside pillar.
park beside one car.
park between 2 cars.
practice your parking 10 times per night and by the end of 1 week, you should have no problem parking your cefiro.

Any experienced drivers can share how to park under constrained spaces without damaging my car? What is a good way to learn?
Agreed with auron, improve driving skill need a lot of practice and patience. Everyday you drive along the road, you will learn new skills to gain your experience. So what is a good way to learn ? Actually there are steps in the advance theory book to show you how to do proper car parking.

My tips (may not apply to others) :
1. Positioning of your car before reversing. Your car rear should not be overlap in front of the empty slot.
2. Position your side mirror slightly downward to allow you to see the ground marking.
3. Check safety and reverse slowly. If one time cannot make it, re-adjust the car position patiently.
4. While reversing the car, use the parking slot front marking to judge the car position by below of right side mirror to the parking slot front marking.

Also, is it just me but since I started driving, I feel extremely tired; especially at the end of the day after all the driving. I don't know why, but I hope this is going to be one of those phases that will pass eventually.
You should feel relax while driving. I think you have put too much stress on the road. Just concentrate more to the front (60%), side (30%) and back (10%).

Hello CSnappers!
Need some driving tips and help here.

To cut the long story short - I passed my driving test on February 15 (yay, finally!!!). Within three weeks, my family went to test drive several Japanese-brand sedans and finally got one last week. It's a 2.3l Nissan Cefiro and length-wise, its a pretty long yet spacious car. In my family, only my Dad and I knows how to drive.

Okay this is the BIG problem - after passing my driving test, I have HUGE problems with parking. It is now slightly more than a week since my family got the car. So far, I am using the car more than my Dad (my Dad doesn't drive it to work because the season parking at his working place is madness). For vertical parking, suddenly I feel very very frightened to park my car WITHOUT the poles. I suddenly lost my 'direction' to steer and especially the point where I have to turn my steering wheel. If I have 2 or more consecutive parking slots together (read: huge space), then somehow I have no problem. Its the tiny space, e.g., parking slot between 2 cars that makes me nervous. Then I will go find a larger slot to park. In the long run, this isn't very helpful because this means more fuel consumption and there will be one day I will be forced to park my car under limited space.

I will appreciate if any experienced drivers out there can give some advice.

Thanks! :)

{mich}

If you're not comfortable, then you can try going for the driver's orientation/refresher course (I know BBDC has, but not sure if the other driving centres has such a course) and tell them you want to practise parking. They will give you pointers on how to sight your position etc. It's not that difficult if you practice.

I agree with DCA that you should not be getting a Cefiro as a first car knowing that you'll be the one who is going to drive more. Anyway, just take your time to park and ignore those people waiting. If you need to adjust your car, then if you want to e considerate, leave a space for other cars to pass and continue adjusting after they have passed and take your time to adjust again. Like what megaweb mentioned, the side mirrors are very important for checking the clearance you have on each side.

Hello CSnappers!

{mich}

Hi,

I find the following useful:

Some terminologies:
A- first third section of your car
B- centre portion of your car
C- last third section of your car
X- car left of your parking slot
Y- car right of your parking slot

Vertical Parking - assume you are reversing to the left
---------------

1. Estimate the distance of the car X from your car. It should be about 4-5 meters at least. Actually I find the further you are the easier.
2. Start reversing and turn your head so that you see the car left of your parking slot, X.
4. Focus your eyes on section C, also check the side mirror at times to ensure not knocking car X.
5. Start turning when you see section C going pass the top corner of car X. Make a full lock
6. Focus your eyes on left side mirror.
7. If too close to car X, relax the the steering wheel abit. (If you reach step 5 successfully, you should technically not hit car X. Chance is very low since 1/3 of your lower car body has already past X.
8. If left side clear. Check right side immediately step on the brakes if you have to, (you will not hit car Y yet because the radius from your right corner of your car is quite big)
9. If too close to car Y, stop the car and move out abit if u already full lock
10. Reverse again checking both side mirrors. Chance of hitting now is very low because the angle of your car with respect to the parking lot should very narrow now.
11. Straighten your car. Put to park and pull handbrake. Completed

Note that it should only work for vertical, for parallel you have to use another technique. For reversing to the right, just exchange the words left with right vise versa.

I always use this technique to help my friend to park her Mercedes 280 series when she gets stuck in the carpark.

Remember that unlike driving test, you are allowed to move in and out as many times as you like. So long as the guy behind waiting for you to park is patient, you should be fine. Hope it helps

Hi guys, if I change instructor, I can get my $50 deposit back, right?

At which point can u take back your deposit anyway?

"For vertical parking, suddenly I feel very very frightened to park..."

WHOA Vertical parking.... I want to learn also :bsmilie:

ok, time to revive an old thread.

I wanna enrol driving lessons soon but my eyesight is getting worse by the minute. Should i go buy a specs first or go straight to the eye test? I have partial colour deficiency also. will it affect my eligibility to drive? :(

I wanna enrol driving lessons soon but my eyesight is getting worse by the minute. Should i go buy a specs first or go straight to the eye test? I have partial colour deficiency also. will it affect my eligibility to drive? :(

go and buy specs that u will use for driving.

as for colour test, no point asking us. if all of us say u ok but the test centre ppl say u not ok, its still useless.

Go get your eye checked and get it corrected first. Make sure it is stable before you attempt to drive.

Partial colour problems shouldn't be an issue, but I recall seeing some colour plates on tests.

Status
Not open for further replies.