Who here still uses a photographer's vest?

Status
Not open for further replies.
:dunno: Dont it feel abit hotter with the vest running around ?

k_istDS said:
i got a few vest from my Thailand Trips.. and they are cheap.. i think about 350Bht = SGD15... I use it for events and even when i'm out for Macro.. its free me from the bags.. and i puts things i needs, like lense, blower, filter, batteries, HDDs, etc..

Juz curious... For those who use the vest to store all your stuffs, where's yr bag? Unless u drive or have some place to safe keep it...

I try wearing a photovest which does not really look like one. Some of those really shout "I'm a photographer" are a no no for me.

I have a normal looking vest which is in fact a photographer vest as well as a Domke one. The domke one really shout photographer vest. Anywhere I go which does not have tropical climate I use photo vest. Not only it keeps all your items from losing, sometimes when you go shopping and run out of hands to carry bags, I stuffed things in as well.

I particularly like the back pocket that I can put a long tele behind. But I need to put things in front to balance up the weight.

I don't really think the vest can help you to organise things but it sure comes in handy to put all those things that you need in one place. You just need to dig around your body and sooner or later you will find them.

David said:
Hi cyber monkey,

I'm glad u considered the importance of observing proper dressing in weddings. I've been to many and I'm sad to say I've not encountered any photog here so far who are properly dressed. At best, u often see them in polo T (no good) or occassionally, short-sleeved shirt (just barely acceptable IMHO). I feel long-sleeve is better and if possible, a tie will complete it very well. But none I've seen in so many years.

I know in the US, the photog will usually dress up like the guests, jacket, tie and everything. Ok different culture. But surely not in T-shirts and sometimes jeans which I see more often here!

I guess photogs here are not as respected as those in some other countries... :( :dunno:
For local wedding events, it's not just the photographers that are not dressed well. You can see wedding guests in jeans or t-shirts, and therefore, you can't expect photographers to overdress (with long-sleeve shirt and tie) unless the occasion warrants.

Indeed, overseas wedding events are more formal and requires good dress codes. In Singapore, there are occasional weddings where the couple requires formal dress codes and for such cases, the couple should inform the photographer to dress-up, just like what they would tell the other guests. It's more of a wedding culture than a photographer's issue.

pianodancer said:
For local wedding events, it's not just the photographers that are not dressed well. You can see wedding guests in jeans or t-shirts, and therefore, you can't expect photographers to overdress (with long-sleeve shirt and tie) unless the occasion warrants.

Indeed, overseas wedding events are more formal and requires good dress codes. In Singapore, there are occasional weddings where the couple requires formal dress codes and for such cases, the couple should inform the photographer to dress-up, just like what they would tell the other guests. It's more of a wedding culture than a photographer's issue.

Depending on who the bride on groom is and it is good to find out what kind of setting we're looking at.

I do wear a domke vest for mosst weddings, it's really useful in load distribution and in crowded places, you don't need to worry about bags banging into wedding cake and all that. For some of the weddings that required suit and tie, I'll get an assistant to help hold on to the gear or change lenses for me. And yes, assistant had to be in suit and tie too.

More importantly, is how you carry yourself in the suit. :cool:

chestvest looks like a suicide bomber

they shoot you on sight, questions later
Make sure you dont walk too fast in MRT station :D

denniskee said:
just like you mention US, the photog will usually dress up like the guests, jacket, tie and everything.
been to many weddings here. this is really true.
for one thing, it isnt so hot and humid so the photog wont sweat alot in all that clothings..
but it does limit movement when carrying alot of gear...

haagen_dazs said:
been to many weddings here. this is really true.
for one thing, it isnt so hot and humid so the photog wont sweat alot in all that clothings..
but it does limit movement when carrying alot of gear...

hehehe... funny thing is that is texas its burning hot and humid(of course not as humid as sg) and photographers actually still wear suits to wedding... :bsmilie:

idor said:
hehehe... funny thing is that is texas its burning hot and humid(of course not as humid as sg) and photographers actually still wear suits to wedding... :bsmilie:

That's why we called them stupid americans. Hahaha.... Just kidding here man!:confused: And no offence man.;p

Status
Not open for further replies.