Which zoom lens to use with Pentax digitals?

Status
Not open for further replies.
airconvent said:
wow...just scoured the entire funan and peninsula and only 1 shop sells the Sigma 18-200mm lens for the Pentax. Unfortunately, the only shop selling it is charging $$$...sigh...

To be honest, you'd better not buy a super zoom lens like that. It's really hard to make a 11x zoom lens which performs very well for a cheap price. Better go with either two-lens solution, or a lens like the Sigma 18-125 (a 7x zoom lens).

Don't waste money there... Just my 2 cents.

fengwei said:
To be honest, you'd better not buy a super zoom lens like that. It's really hard to make a 11x zoom lens which performs very well for a cheap price. Better go with either two-lens solution, or a lens like the Sigma 18-125 (a 7x zoom lens).

Don't waste money there... Just my 2 cents.

Thanks but I already bought it this afternoon.:)
Moving to this lens from the kit lens, I noticed that the image quality is a tad worse off than the kit lens and there is some barrel distortion at the edge but nothing you can notice normally. There is also some chromatic aberration but I guess I can live with that!
Also, my other dislike is the size...makes the camera a tad heavier.
On the plus point, I get my 200mm zoom while still retaining the gorgeous 18mm wide view..heh heh.

BTW, I'm wondering if anyone who owns this lens notices...the camera has problems focussing quite a few times. It tended to hunt for a focus and not getting there. I had to refocus again (all in auto mode) before it will lock. Is this normal?

Munk said:
Which shop is dat?

Hi Munk,
I popped by Funan today and confirmed the shop name is Bally Photo and they are located on level 5. I got mine today at Alan Photo SLS at a cheaper price. You can try there too....
cheers

airconvent said:
Moving to this lens from the kit lens, I noticed that the image quality is a tad worse off than the kit lens and there is some barrel distortion at the edge but nothing you can notice normally. There is also some chromatic aberration but I guess I can live with that!
On the plus point, I get my 200mm zoom while still retaining the gorgeous 18mm wide view..heh heh.

BTW, I'm wondering if anyone who owns this lens notices...the camera has problems focussing quite a few times. It tended to hunt for a focus and not getting there. I had to refocus again (all in auto mode) before it will lock. Is this normal?

Congrats on the new lens. Let's see some nice photos then ;)

Cheers and happy shooting.

airconvent said:

How much u got it for? im looking for this kind of lens for travel.

I can't wait for the new 2.8 zoom lens by Pentax.

Was using mainly the FA135 2.8 whole of last weekend at baybeats. 2.8 indeed is necessary for concert photos.

southernoise said:
I can't wait for the new 2.8 zoom lens by Pentax.

Was using mainly the FA135 2.8 whole of last weekend at baybeats. 2.8 indeed is necessary for concert photos.

You'd need to pay some serious money for that one ;)

Just got myself a DA50-200 last Fri., so far so good:

IMGP8985_small.jpg

IMGP9014_small.jpg

IMGP9040_small.jpg

IMGP9041_small.jpg

IMGP9043_small.jpg

I'm hoping this lens would benefit a lot with the new Pentax bodies w/SR feature.

I seriously need to eat bread and tap water from now on.... arrrggghhhh.......

airconvent said:
Hi Munk,
I popped by Funan today and confirmed the shop name is Bally Photo and they are located on level 5. I got mine today at Alan Photo SLS at a cheaper price. You can try there too....
cheers

how much for it ???

Hi Munk/CSLee
Bally quoted me around $660 but I paid around $590 at Alan Photo.
The one at Funan does not have stock, so I got it from the sls branch. you can forget about MS Color and Cathay Photo..they don't seem to stock them.

Hi Feng Wei
How did you get your shots so tack sharp? My test shots are actually quite bad...:(

Here are the samples...

IMGP0982.jpg

IMGP0975.jpg

IMGP0973.jpg

IMGP0970.jpg

IMGP0968.jpg

and more...

IMGP0963.jpg

IMGP0961.jpg

IMGP0944.jpg

airconvent said:
Hi Feng Wei
How did you get your shots so tack sharp? My test shots are actually quite bad...:(

Hmm, for me, I just make sure I've got enough speed (1/(focal lengthx1.5)s) to get a decent result. But for kids photos, I'd just wait for the right moment 'cause they just keep moving :)

Of course if a tripod is used, that's another story.

Your samples do seem quite strange. Did you use a tripod at all when took these shots? If not, I'd be more than happy to get those myself :D

For night scenes like these, you'd need a steady tripod, a cable release or wireless remote, plus 2 second mirror-up:

IMGP8331_small.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.