Which still digicam?

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

kllee

M thinking about getting a digicam, and I've definitely got one eye set on the Canon G2. But the bulkiness of it and its relative short lens (4X optical and 11X digital) is the downside (although optional zoom lens is avail). On the other hand, the Olympus D40 is small enuff for me to throw into my pouch while I lug the SLR around for the zoom shots. Dunno what the accessories are. Anyone have any suggestions to help my decision between the two, or even suggestions for other cams?

Another question is, what is the diff between optical and digi zoom? And how do you convert it in terms of mm as on a 35mm lens?

Cheers!

Originally posted by kllee
M thinking about getting a digicam, and I've definitely got one eye set on the Canon G2. But the bulkiness of it and its relative short lens (4X optical and 11X digital) is the downside (although optional zoom lens is avail). On the other hand, the Olympus D40 is small enuff for me to throw into my pouch while I lug the SLR around for the zoom shots. Dunno what the accessories are. Anyone have any suggestions to help my decision between the two, or even suggestions for other cams?

Another question is, what is the diff between optical and digi zoom? And how do you convert it in terms of mm as on a 35mm lens?

Cheers!

Canon G2 is 3X not 4X ;p
Ever consider the Minolta Dimage5?

Cheers!

G2 is an excellent choice, although if you would like to get a camera with more zoom, try the Olympus C720. Not oo bad a camera. :) Smaller than the G2 as well.

Try this website for more info.

Bro if you wan high quality pics look at optical zoom only.. digital zoom only enlarges the orginal pixels like how u zoom in when using photoshop.. the Oly 720 should be a good buy

i own the oly d40 zoom. i like it very much. small and compact and can be fully manual. i put it in my pocket everyday.
BUT THE VIEWFINDER IS NOT 100% AND DO NOT HAVE EXPOSURE INFORMATION. INFO ONLY ON THE MONITOR. SO I USE THE MONITOR ALL THE TIME TO DO SHOOTING.

Thanks all for your replies. Actually, I've narrowed it down to the Nikon Coolpix and back to the G2. Eliminated the Olympus 'cos of its dodgy battery life and also it uses SD. I'm looking for a cam that uses Flash 'cos I got loads of them! :) Reason for looking at the G2 and Coolpix is 'cos of their zoom potential. Any arguments for either the Coolpix or G2?

Oso looking for a 1-2megapixel digicam for me wife too. Cost is a bit of an issue though. Pls help! Cheers!

I have a G2. Chose it over the Coolpix 995 cos of the higher resolution, more solid-feeling body, larger max aperture and because the 995 made irritating grinding sounds when zooming. But given a choice now with the Coolpix 4500, the successor to the 995, which has a more solid body and equal resolution to the G2, I'd choose the 4500. Simply because of the split-swivel body-- it's so inviting and intuitive to handle. Much better than the G2's clumsy flip LCD.

Also, people say that the 995 is good for taking close-up shots because you can go really close-- up to 2cm away from the target.

Yeah, I know the 4500 is a good peice of eqpt, esp the swivel mechanism which is great for shooting over people, but the thing is, the 4500 look kinda weird! :p Sorry, don't wanna sound flaky, but that's how I feel. But the macro ability is quite impressive though! Hmm... sigh! Anyone else with any comments?

Thanks all for your replies. Actually, I've narrowed it down to the Nikon Coolpix and back to the G2. Eliminated the Olympus 'cos of its dodgy battery life and also it uses SD. I'm looking for a cam that uses Flash 'cos I got loads of them! :) Reason for looking at the G2 and Coolpix is 'cos of their zoom potential. Any arguments for either the Coolpix or G2?

Oso looking for a 1-2megapixel digicam for me wife too. Cost is a bit of an issue though. Pls help! Cheers!

Not sure about the zoom for the coolpix, but I'm pretty unhappy with the limited zoom of the G2 (3x only). Still looking for a tele converter that does a better job than software post-processing.

I recently (less than a week ago) bought a G2 over the coolpix 5700. Many issues were raise during this time like EVF,5 times more zoom, 1 more megapixel. I was sooooo tempted, just for $400 more.

At the end my girlfriend decided to buy the G2 for three reasons:

the remote feature- fantastic! /now we could take snapshots of ourselves in our candid moments without help from others, self portiraits too.

Free VCD/CD/CDR player. not the most fantastic player but a nice freebie.

Four hundred dollars cheaper, well more money to buy more CF cards, flash guns etc...

hope i help:what: :light: ;)

Yeah, I know the 4500 is a good peice of eqpt, esp the swivel mechanism which is great for shooting over people, but the thing is, the 4500 look kinda weird! :p Sorry, don't wanna sound flaky, but that's how I feel. But the macro ability is quite impressive though! Hmm... sigh! Anyone else with any comments?

Don't just think of the looks, think of the handling. I like my G2 but it feels basically like a brick-- kind of idiotproof and clumsy to handle. The swivel body is actually a lot more versatile.
Oh another point about the G2, don't know how the coolpix compares, is the battery life-- it goes really long without charging. Probably can stand about 2 full days of shooting.

Originally posted by rumraisin

Don't just think of the looks, think of the handling. I like my G2 but it feels basically like a brick-- kind of idiotproof and clumsy to handle. The swivel body is actually a lot more versatile.

The G2 is MUCH easier to handle when you add a filter adapter.

Status
Not open for further replies.