Which shop offers a better price and good customer service for year 2011?

actually can't really say which shop have better service as there will be some black sheep in the shop, the title should put which shop salesman offer good customer service

one such case is a few month ago, i was looking for the best price for my 24-70 lens, when to CP & 1 plump uncle quote me, i say i consider 1st he was shouting (actually more like suan siao me) saying "wa lao, you want to buy how much? what you want?"

than just today i was looking for eye piece & a star filter, due to my shocking experience, i went around Funan 1st before i step into CP, than a slim guy serve me which i find quite pleasing, I almost bought the wrong eye piece but thanks to him asking me to check again, i got the correct 1 & my today overall experience at CP was quite pleasing

SLR, is ok depends on what you buy or maybe served by who. When I first went there looking for a Pentax KR was attended by 1 "ang pai" salesman, as a newbie i wanted to look before i buy....hard earn money. Asked the staff possible to see 1 ? The reply was " SORRY WE GOT NO DEMO SET".
I can clearly see few sets in the display counter! Maybe is my dressing or I'm not holding the cash out?? Thks him and walk out. After a drink, walked pass the shop saw 1 uncle showing a guy camera. I went in see whether can feel the camera, as I was there the uncle asked want to see? Before I can reply, he took a KR out from the showcase and hand it to me.
After the guy before me made payment, the salesman gave me a good explaination while I play with the camera.
That's what I called sevice. Bought the camera with 2 wr lens and other stuffs, even joke with him...ask him to shave his beard cos he look so fierce. Forgot to asked his name, should be ard his 40's.:thumbsup:
I know that uncle, I also bought my Kr from him. He looks very fierce ,but very friendly and helpful. I think he is the promoter for pentax. But he no longer at SLRR. Saw him station at mini challenger level 2 funan on tuesday.

Just want to share my experience with Alan Photo and SLR Revolution at Funan.

My friend and I intended to purchase from AP as they had one of the more competitive pricing around. While my friend quickly decided on his bag purchase, I enquired on the tamron 17-50 and the guy with the dyed hair (boss? I'm not too sure) said that they have it and quoted me the respective price. So I thought I can browse the other shop first to see see look look.

But before I left i clearly scanned the shelves and saw that there was no available stock. Prior to talking to the guy with the dyed hair, another sales associate also told me that they have no stock for F mount.

So after walking around, I decided to get from AP. I went in and asked about it, the dyed hair guy immediately said, " Oh, sold out already. Just now you went out I sold 3 sets already, you want come back next monday then got stock."

I was like wtf? Seriously? My friend and me got this blank look because clearly the stock on the shelves remained the same. Nothing moved at all, so did he lied about the stock? If so, why? All I know is AP will never be in my evoke set when purchasing photographic items anymore.

Headed to SLR Revolution, got attended by hanwei. Friendly, calm and not pushy! Within 20 minutes I left a happy man with my purchase. SLRR :thumbsup: I will definitely return again!
yes, i will also recommend hanwei.
he's quite patient and has a good attitude.

I know that uncle, I also bought my Kr from him. He looks very fierce ,but very friendly and helpful. I think he is the promoter for pentax. But he no longer at SLRR. Saw him station at mini challenger level 2 funan on tuesday.[/
thks ..was @ funan for lunch , saw him there
QUOTE]

Just want to share my experience with Alan Photo and SLR Revolution at Funan.

My friend and I intended to purchase from AP as they had one of the more competitive pricing around. While my friend quickly decided on his bag purchase, I enquired on the tamron 17-50 and the guy with the dyed hair (boss? I'm not too sure) said that they have it and quoted me the respective price. So I thought I can browse the other shop first to see see look look.

But before I left i clearly scanned the shelves and saw that there was no available stock. Prior to talking to the guy with the dyed hair, another sales associate also told me that they have no stock for F mount.

So after walking around, I decided to get from AP. I went in and asked about it, the dyed hair guy immediately said, " Oh, sold out already. Just now you went out I sold 3 sets already, you want come back next monday then got stock."...

IMHO, unless the lens is completely sold out in Singapore, I believe there will never be a case of any product being "Sold Out" as the dealers have a well-developed network amongst themselves to buy and sell stock. As a last resort, they may approach the distributor for assistance (request for urgent delivery, pull stock from other stores via the distributor etc)

But of course, costs and profits determine everything. If they believe that the profit isn't worth trouble, they'll just shrug and say "sorry buddy."

Disclaimer: This is my view of things. It may not be an accurate portrayal of the photographic equipment business in Singapore.

which shop to go to for buying body and lens? in terms of better price preferably no barganing

Zennith said:
which shop to go to for buying body and lens? in terms of better price preferably no barganing

For local set I would say SLR-R is among the lowest, for grey sets, DDelectronics

hmmm yep went down and checked slrr is the cheapest . tkphotos like give more stuff

+1 for TK -1 for J3:16. Still cannot believe J3:16 "chopped" me 90 bucks for a 77mm Hoya HMC UV Filter. Anyway, all prices at J3:16 more expensive than TK. I only stepped in that day 'cos TK did not have stock for D7k body only. My misfortune.

lexxmexx said:
You mean SLRR carries grey sets or you meant DDelectronics?

DD selling grey sets...

SLRR selling local sets...

scliml said:
Watch It If You Walk Into John 3:16

In Sept 2010 I purchased a Canon 5D II with 24-70mm f2.8L USM lens from John 3;16 together with an Sandisk Extreme 16GB CF card and B&W 77mm clear XSP filter. Unfortunately the shop is usually packed and I had to wait more than an hour to make the purchase through Samuel.

Those who have been to the shop will know that he seems very helpful and knowledgeable and most of all a “sweet talker”. His verbal quote to us after a little bargaining was,

Canon 5D II $3150

24-70mm lens $2170

Sandisk card $175

B&W filter $170

Total $5665

His strategy is to make you wait and tire you down. So when it came to time to pay, he had his assistant to write up the invoice (Samuel had consented to the invoice) and the total was $5700. There was no itemized pricing of the individual items and just 1 lump sum was shown.

As he looked honest and shop seemed to be well patronized, I trusted him and paid $5700.

When I got back home and checked the pricing I discovered the error. I tried calling him on the shop phone but it was never answered, no matter how many times I called or at what times. So I sent a simple email to the shop addressed to Samuel. There was no reply. I had to resend a few times before the shop replied to request me to go to the shop to speak to Samuel.

I went down and again had to wait more than 1 hour before I could speak to him. He said it’s “a small matter” and perhaps if I purchased another item he could give me a discount to balance off the $35 difference he overcharged me.

This is his other strategy, but I didn’t fall into his trap again. I had been checking his pricings with Cathay and was quoted without bargaining the Sandisk card at $140 (overcharged by $35 – 25%) and the B&W filter at $149 (overcharged by $21 – 14%). So whatever next item I buy next from him he will be sure to cheat me more. He sensed that I didn’t want to fall into his trap and he offered to provide a “very good Korean LCD display protector for the camera FOC” except that he had just run out of stock. He said that when available he will call me to get it fixed. Of course he never called me and after a month of patient waiting I went to John 3:16 to look for him. Again I had to wait more than an hour before he told me that the item was out of stock and coming soon and that again he will contact me. The same thing happened another 2 times until December 2010 and situation has not changed.

So John 3:16 – the shop, purporting to follow the teachings of the real John 3:16, but when you don’t realize it they will,

1) Deliberately overcharge you …….. even comparing with Cathay’s standard prices (not
bargained yet!)

2) Deliberately cheat you by not itemizing prices in the invoice.

3) Give empty promises from sweet talking.

So take lots of care when you get to John 3:16 and Samuel.

Damn disappointing to hear that. I understand they are well supported by church members. I would expect
them to conduct their business in the most transparent manner. Bill with no itemized pricing are wrong! Bill with wrong charges is totally unacceptable.

Stop saying “bro bro", it irks people. Any supporters of him please tell him to cut the crap. And anyone who patronize their shop next time should just tell him "bro my a**".

If i have the budget, will patronize Cathay Photo. They seem to have everything I need. Good service and some of their prices not much more than the shops at Funan.

If I'm very sure about what I'm gonna buy (specific lens or body), I will head down to SLRR.

I have another question here.

For example, a camera manufacturer is giving away some freebies as listed on their official website and at RRP. The CN recommended shops are selling at prices lower than RRP, do they still give away the freebies as listed on the website or the lower price will mean no freebies?

lexxmexx said:
I have another question here.

For example, a camera manufacturer is giving away some freebies as listed on their official website and at RRP. The CN recommended shops are selling at prices lower than RRP, do they still give away the freebies as listed on the website or the lower price will mean no freebies?

Yes, freebies will be given.

How about artworkfoto anyone go before

hcchua73 said:
+1 for TK -1 for J3:16. Still cannot believe J3:16 "chopped" me 90 bucks for a 77mm Hoya HMC UV Filter. Anyway, all prices at J3:16 more expensive than TK. I only stepped in that day 'cos TK did not have stock for D7k body only. My misfortune.

I got my Hoya HMC UV 52mm at 45 dollars from John 3:16. And also bought the D3100 newly from them with SC of 108. Lucky.

Just go to SLRR ... U get cheaper prices without "bro here and bro there".

Damn disappointing to hear that. I understand they are well supported by church members. I would expect
them to conduct their business in the most transparent manner. Bill with no itemized pricing are wrong! Bill with wrong charges is totally unacceptable.

Stop saying “bro bro", it irks people. Any supporters of him please tell him to cut the crap. And anyone who patronize their shop next time should just tell him "bro my a**".