Which scanner

Phil Porter

Jan 19, 2011
I have recently returned to using my old film camera and developing my own black and white negatives. I would like now to start scanning the negatives. I dont want to pay big bucks for a scanner, as this is still a hobby with me and my DSLR will remain my main camera. I am looking at the Canon 9000f and the Epson V600. Has anybody got recommendations with regard to these or other affordable negative scanners.

I'm using 9000f, but the scanner died on me after just one session. :thumbsdown:
Got it repaired and working fine so far.
The scans are good enough for MF film, but not that great for 35mm film, but I get what I paid for.
If you are viewing at normal sizes either the 9000f or V600 it will suffice.
If you want to pixel peep, then no point using 35mm film :D
Lab scans are still far better than these cheap flatbeds.

If you are willing to spend a bit more, try to get a scanner that can take more than 2 strips of negative at one go.
I find that the more strips of negative the scanner can do at one time, the more time saved from having to go back constantly to change out the negatives.

Thanks for that, I think in the short term I will take your advice and use the labs equipment.
It is a question of convenience over quality I suppose, I only know of one or two labs here in Singapore.

Thanks for that, I think in the short term I will take your advice and use the labs equipment.
It is a question of convenience over quality I suppose, I only know of one or two labs here in Singapore.

No probs.
Just note that lab scanning is not cheap and a scan of about 22 rolls will buy you one 9000F.
IMHO, if you plan to do more scans than 22 rolls within a year and only view at 1024x768, 1280x900 type sizes, just buy a scanner.