Which memory card for the 30D? Extreme III or Ultra II

Status
Not open for further replies.

glt

Feb 24, 2004
Hi, i've been out of the DLSR scene for a long time. I got a 30D and need to buy a another CF card. I'm thinking of either a 8gb or a 4gb card.

I would like to get recomendations or advice whether i should choose the Extreme III cards vs the the Ultra 2s.

Does an 'old' camera like the 30D benefit from the higher speeds of the Extreme IIIs?

im using the Kingston 133X CF card.
no difference to me because i'm not a pro. 8GB for $29 only.
Sandisk Ultra II is $34 for 4GB. Extreme III not too sure.

I think even with 40D, Ultra II will be good enough. Not unless you have those cameras that can support UMDA then I would suggest getting at least Extreme III or higher.

If you are looking in upgrading your camera, perhaps you want to plan ahead and get the faster ones, otherwise you can stay at Ultra II.

According to this test, seems like there isn't much difference between using Extreme and Ultra, difference is less than an MB/sec.

Kinda like 5D Classic, equally slow.

Don't waste your moola. Ultra II is good enough. You won't notice the difference in speed of the camera burst. Unless you work in extreme temperatures, then Ultra II is the way to go. Much cheaper too.

I just bought my 4GB Ultra II at Chamoxa Funan Centre at $36.90. You need to take note though, as cheaper Ultra IIs may not come with lifetime warranty. Always purchase the card in its original packaging.

im using the Kingston 133X CF card.
no difference to me because i'm not a pro. 8GB for $29 only.
Sandisk Ultra II is $34 for 4GB. Extreme III not too sure.

Can share where you got the Kingston? the 133x is faster than ultra II from RG website.

Thanks guys for the advice, i guess will get the Ultra IIs. Cheers

A faster card may not benefit the camera but I am sure it will benefit transfers through a card reader no?

Don't get the kingston 133X. :thumbsd:
get the sandisk instead.
i get busy signal on my dslr which i didn't get when i was using the kingston 100x.

Don't get the kingston 133X. :thumbsd:
get the sandisk instead.
i get busy signal on my dslr which i didn't get when i was using the kingston 100x.

I was about to write this but may afraid I'll upset the Kingston camp. Since Sandisk is the original creator of CF cards, I've always go to them whenever I need CF cards. So far no issues.

haha! im fine with any card as long as it's working fine.
i really regretted selling of my old 512mb Sandisk Ultra II instead of the Lexar 80X Professional Card. Got both at $80++ a few years back.
Didn't realised that the Lexar 80X had a Write Acceleration issue on the 30D. Worked fine on my old PowerShot G3.

In my opinon, if you have the money, get Sandisk Ultra II is fine. Been on the market for soooo long, no issues at all. If you have more money, travel to countries with varying temperature and shoot fast, then get the Extreme III.
If you're a pro and you would be able to break even the cost and need to shoot fast, get the Ducati version.
As for me, a student, Kingston 8GB 133X is all I can afford, "fast" and economical. I got mine at Best Bargain, SLS 5th level.

Like what Virgo said, the Ultra II at Best Bargain are not in those nice Sandisk black and red boxes (like the ones I got 4 years ago), only in the hard plastic packaging.

Like what Virgo said, the Ultra II at Best Bargain are not in those nice Sandisk black and red boxes (like the ones I got 4 years ago), only in the hard plastic packaging.
Do note that most Best Bargain's products are parallel imported so it is not under Vector Magnetic's warranty... Only limited shop warranty...

haha! im fine with any card as long as it's working fine.
i really regretted selling of my old 512mb Sandisk Ultra II instead of the Lexar 80X Professional Card. Got both at $80++ a few years back.
Didn't realised that the Lexar 80X had a Write Acceleration issue on the 30D. Worked fine on my old PowerShot G3.

In my opinon, if you have the money, get Sandisk Ultra II is fine. Been on the market for soooo long, no issues at all. If you have more money, travel to countries with varying temperature and shoot fast, then get the Extreme III.
If you're a pro and you would be able to break even the cost and need to shoot fast, get the Ducati version.
As for me, a student, Kingston 8GB 133X is all I can afford, "fast" and economical. I got mine at Best Bargain, SLS 5th level.

As long as the box looks like the one listed on the Sandisk website, then it should have lifetime warranty. Nowadays, Sandisk CFs also comes in plastic packaging. Doesn't have to be in boxes. The best is to check if they come with lifetime warranty. :)

well... i bought extreme3...
i just upgraded to 5D2 not long ago, but i dunno if i making the wrong decision.. because sometimes i need to take continuous shot in Raw...

but for 30D, i think ultra2 is enough... the Raw is smaller, i think.. correct me if i am wrong...

i just upgraded to 5D2 not long ago, but i dunno if i making the wrong decision.. because sometimes i need to take continuous shot in Raw...

but for 30D, i think ultra2 is enough... the Raw is smaller, i think.. correct me if i am wrong...
But for 5DMkII, the fps is small so also no need for fast memory cards...

Until the day/time where your 5DMII stops you from taking photo while its buffering, don't think you should regret on having Extreme III.

In my opinion, it's the buffer that does the work most of the time. The transfer speed of the card will still depend on the write speed of the camera body to the card, so the speed of the card still comes last.

In my opinion, it's the buffer that does the work most of the time. The transfer speed of the card will still depend on the write speed of the camera body to the card, so the speed of the card still comes last.

That's correct. The fast card speed usually only comes into play when transferring files into your computer, and you will need a relevant high speed card reader too, or that fast card speed will be a moot point.

Status
Not open for further replies.