Which lens to get?

IMO just start with the kit lenses. Yes the quality is not that high but the truth is most people wouldn't be extremely bothered by it. Some of my best photos were taken with my kit lens.

The kit lens offers an affordable, painless way to grow with your camera. Invest in a better lens when you have a better understanding of what suits you. Do you like primes? Telephoto?

Also, the benefits of a better lens will only become truly apparent to you when you are more experienced. Photography is an expensive hobby... when you drop 700-1000+ on a lens you have to be sure you can see why it's worth it.

Zevify said:
Can give some pointers? :cool:

Checking for fungus u could google for images of it and u will pretty much get an idea how it looks like. Otherwise, just bring along a small led torch to check the interior of lens for scratches. Zoom in and out to see it is smooth. Do a few test shots focusing on near and far objects for shortest, mid and longest focal length of the lens. I will mormally also shoot wide open and stopped down then zoom in to check for sharpness. Thats what i normally would do. Depends on people i guess.

so now u are getting confused already.
No, he was not referring to a dedicated macro lens. He just saying a prime lens with focal length of 50mm F1.8.
And i have no idea why is he suggesting that to you..because you didnt ask for it. :bsmilie: jeez..

Well, TS has a lot to learn obviously, and with the same budget, a kit lens plus 50/1.8 cost less than a f/2.8 zoom. The only advantage the fast zoom have over the kit zoom is faster speed and slightly better flexibility in controlling DOF, with is something that a fast 50 can do better and cheaper, albeit only at a fixed focal. It will push u to explore your limits and learn more than having a fast zoom. My suggested setup is for you to learn first, more than anything else. Compared to having a one-lens fast zoom setup, my suggested setup lets u experience lens changing, shallower DOF, lighter (in most cases) and cheaper.

nitewalk said:
Checking for fungus u could google for images of it and u will pretty much get an idea how it looks like. Otherwise, just bring along a small led torch to check the interior of lens for scratches. Zoom in and out to see it is smooth. Do a few test shots focusing on near and far objects for shortest, mid and longest focal length of the lens. I will mormally also shoot wide open and stopped down then zoom in to check for sharpness. Thats what i normally would do. Depends on people i guess.

Make sure that when the seller says "mint", it really is mint. I.e no rub marks, bright areas, scratches, paint loss etc. any sign of these, just walk away. The seller is probably not very truthful about the condition of the lens and thus, maybe did not mention any other defects in the lens that could haunt you in the future.

Make sure that the elements have no haze, scratches(some like to call cleaning marks) and no fungus. Unless the lenses with these mentioned defects are dirt cheap, don't buy them.

Oh and get one with good barrel condition as mentioned in the first paragraph. Firstly because it will be much easier to sell a nice looking lens, after all people will look at the barrel before the glass. :)