Which lens to get?

Hmm.. How bout shooting in overcast days or low light settings? I'm having trouble with these two lightings... Mostly is bumping up the iso right? But I'm afraid of noise later on in my photos.

That could just mean limitation of the gears. If you can upgrade comfortably. Sure..go ahead. If not.. no choice..just live with it. Chill out. Its ok.
Are you earning money from your shots? If not..its not so bad. Noise wont kill. Sometimes..noise can be beautiful. ;)

not sure how low light are you referring to..but just to tell you..if its really bad..even a 2.8 wont help. :bsmilie:
Or perhaps..you may want to consider a flash instead. At least its a cheaper option (shall not comment much..because i dont own any or know much)..

Last edited:
Haha I'm not having financial problems or anything lah. Just that I prefer to be self-sufficient when I'm getting such expensive stuff! Take too much money from my mum also not very nice too :)

That's gd. not like some people here, everything parents buy.

What's your budget anyhow.

That could just mean limitation of the gears. If you can upgrade comfortably. Sure..go ahead. If not.. no choice..just live with it. Chill out. Its ok.
Are you earning money from your shots? If not..its not so bad. Noise wont kill. Sometimes..noise can be beautiful. ;)

not sure how low light are you referring to..but just to tell you..if its really bad..even a 2.8 wont help. :bsmilie:
Or perhaps..you may want to consider a flash instead. At least its a cheaper option (shall not comment much..because i dont own any or know much)..

Of course not! If I'm taking money from people with my shots I think it won't be worth anything haha! I'm still slowly coming out from auto mode now. Gathering as much info as possible. But sometimes I use a flash the image just lights up a little for some reason... And my images aren't sharp at all. Oh and sometimes with flash it'll spoil the "feel" of the image as it changes the lightings if you know what I mean. Oh and my low light is talking about inside churches where they just use yellow lights or candles. For overcast days it's like Singapore 5-6pm on a cloudy day.

I've experienced all these light settings during my trip to Europe this December! 90% of the time I'm facing this problem.

That's gd. not like some people here, everything parents buy.

What's your budget anyhow.

Hmm.. Around 1000-1200. I'm looking at a Canon 650D by the way :)

The body alone costs around 880 for most shops I think.

I'd suggest getting a used tamron 17-50. It should be good enough. A decent condition 2nd hand should be about 400. So if u sell off if u don't intend to continue, then u probably won't lose as much as getting a first hand.

I'd suggest getting a used tamron 17-50. It should be good enough. A decent condition 2nd hand should be about 400. So if u sell off if u don't intend to continue, then u probably won't lose as much as getting a first hand.

I'm afraid of getting ripped off for poor quality of the lens.. I don't really have a lot of experience when it comes to checking lenses.

I have used the tamron vc and non vc and ultimately i still prefer the vr on the kit lens along wif primes 50or 35 mm

Hmm.. Around 1000-1200. I'm looking at a Canon 650D by the way :)

The body alone costs around 880 for most shops I think.

Do you really have to buy canon? Why not other brands/makers? That's any important question to consider.

Regardless of ur camera body choice, I would suggest getting kit lens bundle, and a 50/1.8. Really no point getting those f2.8 crop zooms now...

Do you really have to buy canon? Why not other brands/makers? That's any important question to consider.

Regardless of ur camera body choice, I would suggest getting kit lens bundle, and a 50/1.8. Really no point getting those f2.8 crop zooms now...

I'm still open to choices now as I'm getting it in around 3 months time. Why a 50/1.8 anyway? Those are macro lenses right?

I would lean towards Tamron, but I'm someone who heck care bout lens... what's wrong with the kit lens? Pass me that, I'll show you magic

I'm afraid of getting ripped off for poor quality of the lens.. I don't really have a lot of experience when it comes to checking lenses.

1) Ask somebody who knows better and you can trust on to go with you.
2) No choice then. Buy new from the shop. And you have warranty covered as well.
3) Just do it (But this is probably the worse or last resort) Dont take this seriously..but well..Its still an option nonetheless..
:)

I'm still open to choices now as I'm getting it in around 3 months time. Why a 50/1.8 anyway? Those are macro lenses right?

so now u are getting confused already.
No, he was not referring to a dedicated macro lens. He just saying a prime lens with focal length of 50mm F1.8.
And i have no idea why is he suggesting that to you..because you didnt ask for it. :bsmilie: jeez..

I would lean towards Tamron, but I'm someone who heck care bout lens... what's wrong with the kit lens? Pass me that, I'll show you magic

Yeap. Come to think of it I think the kit lens would do just fine since I'm still learning.

so now u are getting confused already.
No, he was not referring to a dedicated macro lens. He just saying a prime lens with focal length of 50mm F1.8.
And i have no idea why is he suggesting that to you..because you didnt ask for it. :bsmilie: jeez..

Yeah I'm still very blur with all the specifications of lenses haha! What's a prime lens and would you mind explaining "focal length of 50mm F1.8"?
This lens cannot be zoomed right?

Last edited:
TWmilkteaTW said:
1) Ask somebody who knows better and you can trust on to go with you.
2) No choice then. Buy new from the shop. And you have warranty covered as well.
3) Just do it (But this is probably the worse or last resort) Dont take this seriously..but well..Its still an option nonetheless..
:)

I met a few buyers on option 3. Totally clueless. Had to show them what to look out for since i myself learned it the hard way ;)

Yeah I'm still very blur with all the specifications of lenses haha! What's a prime lens and would you mind explaining "focal length of 50mm F1.8"?
This lens cannot be zoomed right?

50mm means..its effective focal length. F1.8 means.. how big the aperture can open till. It cannot be zoom..since its fixed focal length. Thus these kind of lenses is known as Prime lens.

for eg..you mention earlier on.. 17-50 2.8.. That is a zoom lens...with effective focal length of 17-50mm. and aperture at its widest is F2.8.

Erm. You can google for more information.. or go to the library and do some read up. :cool:

Last edited:
Hmm.. How bout shooting in overcast days or indoors with low light setting? I'm having trouble with these two lightings... Mostly is bumping up the iso right? But I'm afraid of noise later on in my photos.

Noise is better that a missed shot. And in most cases it only is visible if you peek at 100% but not on web size or print.

When you buy, stay away from Worldwide Cameras Centre at Peninsula Plaza.
Try to buy the original brand lens to match your camera.
Some 3rd party lenses are good but most are inferior to the original brand.
You will need time to slowly find out which are the good 3rd party ones, so in the mean time stick to original brand.