Which lens for protrait?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i find that 50mm is abit too tight for cropped camera.

I'm using a 450D as well and have sold of the 50mm. Its just too tight for portraits i feel. Especially if u go for those gang-bang type of shoots where there are so many photographers which you just dont have the luxury of stepping back abit to get your field widen.

My recommendation would be a Sigma 30mm F1.4. Aiming for that piece of glass now. :)

For outdoor portrait shots I often use the Canon 18-200mm lens... with it zoom in you can create a nice Bokeh effect.. :)

i find that 50mm is abit too tight for cropped camera.

I'm using a 450D as well and have sold of the 50mm. Its just too tight for portraits i feel. Especially if u go for those gang-bang type of shoots where there are so many photographers which you just dont have the luxury of stepping back abit to get your field widen.

My recommendation would be a Sigma 30mm F1.4. Aiming for that piece of glass now. :)

I won't be attending those kind of shoots cause my aim would be just taking pictures of my girl. And for my girl to take some shots of me when she feels like playing with the camera. Haha.

So I guess getting the space I need shouldn't be a problem.

For outdoor portrait shots I often use the Canon 18-200mm lens... with it zoom in you can create a nice Bokeh effect.. :)

Wow. That's a really pricey lens. I saw it retailing for 1130. I'd need to save up alot more to get that. :bsmilie:

It's my kit lens... hence I got it in a very reasonable price... :)

Lucky you. :) How much did you managed to get it for?

I like my 105mm f/2.5 for portraits. It's cheap, but blows your budget just by a little bit, and I'm not sure if you are comfortable with manual focusing.

Otherwise, $200 will not get you a lens that gives the bokeh you see around here easily (people only upload their best shots). But, it is enough to get a 50mm f/1.8 and filter. Give yourself some time and practice and you'll see bokeh with the humble lens too.

My budget currently would be below 200. So I guess I'll go for the 50mm prime. :D

If that's the case, 50mm will fit just nice. You can't go wrong with it... :bsmilie:

If that's the case, 50mm will fit just nice. You can't go wrong with it... :bsmilie:

Haha thanks guy! :bsmilie:

I see alot of people asking for WTB: 50mm prime lens at buy and sell section these days. :bsmilie:

Don't worry about that, there will be more offers. :)

I hope so! But considering the price difference, should I get a new lens or a 2nd hand one?

I hope so! But considering the price difference, should I get a new lens or a 2nd hand one?

A new one should be around $140 after price hike. If 2nd hand condition is still very gd and with warranty left at a reasonable price, then go for 2nd hand.

A new one should be around $140 after price hike. If 2nd hand condition is still very gd and with warranty left at a reasonable price, then go for 2nd hand.

Price hike?

I thought the lowest going price was 110.

EF 50mm f1.8 II - $159 (RRP) | $118 (AP) | $110 (TK) | $120 (JO) | $135 (TCW, grey) | $115 (CP) | $110 (MS, Feb09) | $125 (OP, Feb09)

Saw this in the price guide section.

Price hike?

I thought the lowest going price was 110.

EF 50mm f1.8 II - $159 (RRP) | $118 (AP) | $110 (TK) | $120 (JO) | $135 (TCW, grey) | $115 (CP) | $110 (MS, Feb09) | $125 (OP, Feb09)

Saw this in the price guide section.

Now is different already. All lens prices have gone up, up to 20% more.

Status
Not open for further replies.