Which lens best compliment 7d?

lovewrecker

Sep 20, 2010
HI GUYS i am asking on behalf of my cousin here. he is a male and loves to take pictures of candids and potraits. so am asking advice which is the better lens for these purpose? 17-55 f2.8/24-70 f2.8??

HI GUYS i am asking on behalf of my cousin here. he is a male and loves to take pictures of candids and potraits. so am asking advice which is the better lens for these purpose? 17-55 f2.8/24-70 f2.8??

17-55 has a better range for the 7D, which is a crop sensor body. 24-70 is a little too long as it is meant for FF, but then the latter might work better for portraits.

You again??? For your cousin??????

Maybe can suggest your cousin to come join and join the forum and ask himself???

eh halfmoon if u don wanna believe u can don give comment de lei. i don think my cousin will need yours.
hey neech7 thanks!! i told him that too 17-55 f2.8 is a good lens for cropped body but he believes l lens will give superb good
IQ.

I agree... the 17-55 f/2.8 is the better lens for the 7D.

eh halfmoon if u don wanna believe u can don give comment de lei. i don think my cousin will need yours.
hey neech7 thanks!! i told him that too 17-55 f2.8 is a good lens for cropped body but he believes l lens will give superb good
IQ.

IQ wise I think the two lenses are comparable, though built quality is another story. The 24-70 is built (and weigh) like a tank and comes with a hood and a pouch.

he was asking me this question too.. what is he bring out 7D and the 17-55 and it rains?? will de lens be spoilt but not the 7d?

guys... seriously appreciate your honest comments... thanks.

he was asking me this question too.. what is he bring out 7D and the 17-55 and it rains?? will de lens be spoilt but not the 7d?

I'm not sure about this, but I think that the 7D would be spoilt too because of the connection between the lens and the camera body. If the lens is not weather sealed then the connection between the body and lens would allow water to seep in.

Would others more knowledgeable in this area like to comment?

135l .

17-55 f/2.8 without doubt.

Or, go for the 10-22 if you enjoy landscape photography ;)

Cameras don’t spoil at the slightest contact with water. If it rains just do your best to cover it up and it will be perfectly fine. Full submersion is out of the question obviously.

Well.... it does not sounds like your cousin to me actually... I just think you just cannot make up your mind.....

But anyway... for me, I am using a 17-55mm.... I think if using crop cam, Portraits with enough space, should go for a 24-70mm.... new 24-70mm is coming... see canon rumor site.....

Candid at 24mm can be a bit tight but I prefer shooting tight so is ok for me.... not sure if it is ok for your cousin or you... diff people diff style....

Shoot more and you will know your style and your preference.

Last edited:
17-55 stay on my 7D most of the time.
My Sigma 10-20 only come on when im doing landscape.

Canon 7D

Sigma 12-24mm

Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8

Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8

Canon 300mm f/2.8

Canon 600mm f/4

Canon 7D

Sigma 12-24mm

Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8

Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8

Canon 300mm f/2.8

Canon 600mm f/4

why not:

canon 10-22, canon 24-70 f2.8, canon 70-200 f2.8L II, canon 300mm f2.8 canon 600 f4? haha :bsmilie:

anyway, if u are looking to make the full use of 7D's weather sealing, it is best to get the 24-70L. and if u are looking to make up for the lost of the wide end, either use your kit lens or get one of the excellent crop sensor wide angles. if u want ultimate versatility + the constant f2.8, get the 17-55, the IS is a plus point

why not:

canon 10-22, canon 24-70 f2.8, canon 70-200 f2.8L II, canon 300mm f2.8 canon 600 f4? haha :bsmilie:

anyway, if u are looking to make the full use of 7D's weather sealing, it is best to get the 24-70L. and if u are looking to make up for the lost of the wide end, either use your kit lens or get one of the excellent crop sensor wide angles. if u want ultimate versatility + the constant f2.8, get the 17-55, the IS is a plus point

dude your lineup above makes me drool.....

why not:

dude your lineup above makes me drool.....

I'm way past drooling... :sweat: :bigeyes:

TS - if your cousin needs to ask this kind of questions, then I suppose he/she doesnt know the difference between the 2. In which case either will suffice.

Seriously now, there are more similarities than differences. I have brought a 10-22mm into a snow storm with a 450d and they are still alive, so weather sealing is not really a necessity. How often do you go into the rain or snow/sand storm to shoot pictures anyway ? more often than not you will go into the shelter.

Important questions to ask, how wide does your cousin want his view? Can he tahan the weight of the 24-70mm for the entire day ? Is his technique good enough to work without the IS on the 17-55mm ? How far away does he want to stand shooting candids ? Only your cousin will know.

I use both a 24-105mm and a 17-55mm, I like both enough to keep both.

Happy shopping !!! ;p