Which IXUS is good ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

highwaystar

Feb 15, 2006
Dear All ,
Am looking for a good/compact IXUS.
Need advise from you guys and gals who happen to use one.
have tried IXUS 980 or 960 the one Titanium body but the noise is suck.
But I like the feel of Titanium:bsmilie:
Prefer one with view-finder and good noise level.

So , pls advice and how much is the price

Thank all ;)

Dun own a IXUS but have used a couple before.
Non of them will have good ISO control above 400.
Either rethink your options or lower expectation?

high iso?

get f100fd

if not wait for f200fd :bsmilie:

:bsmilie:

Thank for the reply bro.
Just wanted IXUS only as it is 'cool' and small enough to stuck-in my pocket.
Maybe good noise level at 800
;)

:bsmilie:

Thank for the reply bro.
Just wanted IXUS only as it is 'cool' and small enough to stuck-in my pocket.
Maybe good noise level at 800
;)

if your camera had a high megapixel count. Noise level shouldn't be that much of a problem.

if your camera had a high megapixel count. Noise level shouldn't be that much of a problem.
i thought the noise issue is worse when they try to squeeze more pixels onto a small sensor? I may be wrong though.
Yap, fujis are great. Still using my F10.
If form matters more, get the Sonys. Nice and small.

Thank guys for the input.

Yes perhap I should look at Fuji too.
They are small and cool too.
Any idea does it come with a view-finder for any particular model for Fuji ???
It is very rare to find one these day except for Canon..dat is my thought.
Maybe someone can advise me any brand has it.

Thank you all again ;)

actuallly, if you like really slim compact ones, you can get a sony. the lastest t series is quite good too. check their forums. read digital life, there's a lot of info on the different brands of compact cameras. it will help to narrow down your options.

i thought the noise issue is worse when they try to squeeze more pixels onto a small sensor? I may be wrong though.
Yap, fujis are great. Still using my F10.
If form matters more, get the Sonys. Nice and small.
I agrees with you. More pixels does not equat to lesser noise....

I agrees with you. More pixels does not equat to lesser noise....

seconded - go read dpreview if you want to hear it from the pro. In fact higher pixel count = more noise

seconded - go read dpreview if you want to hear it from the pro. In fact higher pixel count = more noise

Thirded - as documented in straits times yesterday. Which is also why 50D did not improved over 40D - noise level that is.

Hey, which one the current IXUS models are the thinnest / most compact?

My mom chose to trade in her faulty IXUS 800 so she's forced to buy through the Canon service centre at RP. So I was helping her look through which model was best for her, then I realised man, the IXUS range completely is overpriced and lousy compared to other brands. Too bad she still had to choose a Canon, and the SX, G series are either too big or just overpowered. Went with 980 in the end, but I'm sore that because for that price, could've gotten a LX3 or something.

IXUS is so gimmicky...

That is NOT TRUE.

Increasing your pixel count (i.e higher megapixel) is like squeezing more pixels into the camera sensor.
As a consequence, the pixel size is substantially smaller in the sensor as the pixel count increases.
The amount of noise is larger with smaller pixels because there is less light available for each pixel. This explains the lower image quality of digital compact cameras, especially in terms of noise and dynamic range.

Sensor size is therefore the key element affecting Noise... NOT PIXEL COUNT...

Packing more pixels into your sensor will affect your image not only in terms of noise, but also tonality and overall quality.

More pixels are only useful if you want to blow out your image or if you do lots of cropping.

Cheers...

Review for IXUS 980IS is not bad
Might want to check it out.
It has a "colour" popping function built in and Digi4 processor i think

Had been using my IXUS 800IS for many years... It had been following me through all the vacations I had and is a great and convenient camera for casual shots. Though not the smallest form factor, but good enough to slip it into my pocket where ever I go... Simple to use, produce decent photos, except it gets pretty noisy for night photography... Never regreted having it...

Cheers!

My wife has an Ixus 860 IS, and anything over iso 200 starts to be really grainy.

really unexpected misinformation, especially coming from a DSLR user. It's almost as bad as "12MP are better than 10MP" :nono:

Get the facts right. Dun mislead ppl here.

+1

-snip-

Sensor size is therefore the key element affecting Noise... NOT PIXEL COUNT...

Packing more pixels into your sensor will affect your image not only in terms of noise, but also tonality and overall quality.
-snip-

it's pixel density actually which is dependent on sensor size. if i use the same sensor (Amm x Bmm) and put different number of pixels on it (let's say 2mp vs 10mp), you'd expect the noise levels to be different, no?

Status
Not open for further replies.