Which is your Best Travel Destination - Local Tour Guide Contact and Pricing.

Kumarjo

Aug 24, 2012
Singapore
I am a hobbist Travel Photographer. I try to find best places for photography and source some good local guides for that particular place, so that I can have an affordable and authentic trip as compared to big travel companies.

I am gathering suggestion here from people about the best place they travelled for photography and the local guide contact and pricing they paid for the trip.

It will be quite helpful for other like minded travellers to make up decision as to where to go and whom to use.

Kumarjo

Aug 24, 2012
Singapore
Its surprising to see not even a single reply to this thread. Good bye guys.

daredevil123

Staff member
Oct 25, 2005
lil red dot
Do your research first before asking. Such a wide topic and asking for leads in all directions is not going to get you anywhere. Do your own homework first, then ask a more focused question like a specific area you want to visit. If you want general answers like these, maybe you can try some of the photo trip organizers in the industry and select from a catalogue.

Kumarjo

Aug 24, 2012
Singapore
Dear Sir, I have done my homework and research as well. You are just assuming I did not.

Why I should not ask a question on wide topic. Why should I only ask about a specific place. if I only need to find about a specific place. I can get it on google or the photo trip organisers webpage which I have done a thousand times. No need to come to this forum for that. The reason for my question is here to find a place which is worth while to travel for photographer and which I may not have any idea about and to find the right guide based on experience of fellow photographers.

If lot of people here comes with the places and guide, it will not only help me, but a lot of other people in the forum as well including the newbies.

I always do homework and research on a place before I travel. I travel solo two times a year. I have done a lot of research on lot of places. This is a part of my homework as well to find places and guides.

Most of the people here would have gone for 10 to 20 trips. All they need to answer is about the best place they visited and the best local guide they had there. It is really surprising to see no one is interested to share their experience which might help all fellow travelers.

Octarine

Staff member
Jan 3, 2008
Pasir Ris
Best place, best guide, best price... The best trips I did had nothing of this in the planning.
When people travel they have certain preferences and limits (budget, comfort, accommodation, food etc) and from your own experience you will know that it is quite difficult to align these topics even within a small group of close friends. Let alone the topic about the destination, where the choice is as wide as what our planet (and universe) offers. That's why your question is too wide. With a narrow target (e.g. around Mt Bromo, ID) this might yield some results.
Your idea sounds like creating a directory of locations and local guides with contacts and rates. While I hope I understand your intention, I have to say that such things simply change too fast. Every other day another guide and tour agency pop up, people move around, other shops close down. Very soon any of such directory would be outdated or create substantial work in keeping it updated.
Another thread with locations: https://www.clubsnap.com/threads/what-is-the-most-photogenic-destination-you-have-ever-been.1715208/

Kumarjo

Aug 24, 2012
Singapore
Let me be the first. I will provide some information from my trips. All the below mentioned are local guides from the respective places who knows the place better.

Guilin - China : A fantastic place to capture cormorant fisherman portrait, The Rice terrace and the karst mountain. Its one of the best places for photography to travel on a budget. I made a solo trip with Mercier Zeng Photography Tours. There price is quite reasonable at around 300 USD per day including transport and photography guide. They also arrange the Cormorant fisherman just for your solo picture opportunity. You will spend almost the same price as a group photography tour organised by the Singapore operators, but you will be solo and decide what you wish to do.

Ethiopia : Resently went on a solo trip to Ethiopia with Zani Ethiopian Tours. Kindly contact Messay there. He is from the local tribe and he knows most of the tribes of ethiopia and speaks their language. I made a trip for 5 days, visited the Hamer, Kara, Mursi, Dassanech tribe and attended a Bull Jumping ceremony. He charged around 1000 USD for transport with guide. We camped in the village of the tribe itself so that we can shoot them early morning in good sunlight rather than travelling to hotel and back. Most of the places I visited, I was the only tourist there. even I was the only one camping there. A trip to ethiopia can become good or bad depends on the Guide, because the tribe wont respond to all the guide. They respect him and it makes our job to shoot easier. Again the cost when comparing to organised trip is much much cheaper.

Tanzania Safari : I choose a local tour operator. Katikati safrais. This was operated by Sebastian. He is a local and he has set up his own company. So the price he offered us was much cheaper than the actual tour operators. He can also arrange open group trips where other peoples can join. When I saw 6 person group trip per vehicle, I asked him I wanted to travel with 3 or 4 maximum per vehicle. He changed the group trip to 4 person per vehicle. The Lodges we stayed were wonderful. End of the trip we had only 5 person instead of 8 people. So We have two jeeps for 5 persons. We paid around 2400 USD for a 7 day trip. One day in Tarangier, one day ngorongoro and 2 days in serengetti to witness migration and balance in central serengetti. If you cant afford those expensive tour operator or the photography organised from singapore who charge you 10,000 sing dollars. This will be your best option.

Ladakh : If you wish to travel to Ladakh. You can look for Darter.in. You can tell them you want to discuss your trip with Manish. He has been organising trips for them for over 15 years. He organise trips during summer as well as winters. The price will be much cheaper than the options you see in singpaore. You can just arrange the trip with them and start from their starting point. He is one of the famous photographer in India as well. You will get good guidance from him on photography and timelapse.

I have also traveled to other places like Australia, Kamchatka. But I wont be recommending the guides I used for these places.

I know this Information I shared here will be useful for at least few people from the group and will be relevant for at least the next 3 to 4 years.

Kumarjo

Aug 24, 2012
Singapore
Best place, best guide, best price... The best trips I did had nothing of this in the planning.
When people travel they have certain preferences and limits (budget, comfort, accommodation, food etc) and from your own experience you will know that it is quite difficult to align these topics even within a small group of close friends. Let alone the topic about the destination, where the choice is as wide as what our planet (and universe) offers. That's why your question is too wide. With a narrow target (e.g. around Mt Bromo, ID) this might yield some results.
Your idea sounds like creating a directory of locations and local guides with contacts and rates. While I hope I understand your intention, I have to say that such things simply change too fast. Every other day another guide and tour agency pop up, people move around, other shops close down. Very soon any of such directory would be outdated or create substantial work in keeping it updated.
Another thread with locations: https://www.clubsnap.com/threads/what-is-the-most-photogenic-destination-you-have-ever-been.1715208/
Thanks for your proper explanation. I understand what you are saying. Anyways I am sharing my experience here. I will be happy if it can help few people in the forum and at the same way it can help the few good guides who made my trip wonderful.