Benjamintay

Mar 16, 2009
Singapore
I have a budget of $400-450 to buy a flash, i'm not sure which one is better
Metz 58-AF1
Nissin Di866
Sigma EF 530 DG Super
or the Canon 430EX/II speedlite.
I need a flash that is powerful and fast recycling time.

Yongnuo 467 (forgot the exact number)

I did not have budget for the 580exII, so I went to try the 430 and the Di866. I ended getting the 866. While the 580exII would be better than the 866, the 866 is better in the same price bracket than the 430.

I simply don't have the budget for the 58 AF-1 it's $500++, I've tried the 430EX not a really strong flash. But does the Di866 have fast recyling time?

look for the metz or 580ex in the used market, should fit in your budget.

I simply don't have the budget for the 58 AF-1 it's $500++, I've tried the 430EX not a really strong flash. But does the Di866 have fast recyling time?
After a full power shot Di866 takes about 3 seconds on NiMH batt. But so far i’ve been using 1/32 − ⅛ and it’s veryvery fast. I would burst about 3-4 shots and then move around and adjust, by that time it would have topped up to full already.

Sigh... so many complains on problem about the hot shoe contact of the 580ExII.
Quite a few members find that in the middle of a shoot, it suddenly fails on them and the flash went from ETTL to TTL!
I was silently counting myself lucky UNTIL today 1st day of CNY.
Then it hit me full blast on the face. Kept having to turn on and off the 580ExII.
Kept having to remove it and mount it back again.
Wah.. it was really a nightmare.
(Really quite bang ****s today...)
Haha....

Pardon me .
May I know which flash head could be rotated (for portrait)? Instead of the normal tilting (fwd and back)? any kind advise? :think:

Quite a few members find that in the middle of a shoot, it suddenly fails on them and the flash went from ETTL to TTL!
Then it hit me full blast on the face. Kept having to turn on and off the 580ExII.
Haha....

That's why I use 580EX and 580EX II as a slave

866 is good when you realise the potential of the aperture range thing. To me i'll get the metz or nissin, canon's TTL is too irritating.

Actually I was seriously thinking of getting another 2 580ExII for strobing purpose. I believe they should work well if not mounted on the camera hot shoe, right?

Yes,
I have 3 580EX II and 1 580EX,
right now I prefer 580EX on 5D Mark II so I don't have to worry that it is suddenly changes
to TTL mode

The other 580EX II use for 7D or wireless slave and it work well if you're not mount it on the hot shoe, the problem is on the new hot shoe mechanism

Yes,
I have 3 580EX II and 1 580EX,
right now I prefer 580EX on 5D Mark II so I don't have to worry that it is suddenly changes
to TTL mode

The other 580EX II use for 7D or wireless slave and it work well if you're not mount it on the hot shoe, the problem is on the new hot shoe mechanism

Yes, I get your point.
Thanks for sharing with me, tongki.

Haha....

Might it be the contact on your DSLR mount? Because i had that problem with my 400D because the metal contact was a little rusty but there was no problem on my 7D...

Might it be the contact on your DSLR mount? Because i had that problem with my 400D because the metal contact was a little rusty but there was no problem on my 7D...

It is actually quite a notorious problem with the 580ExII.
I have searched the whole CS and found threads after threads talking about the sudden loosening of the contact of the contact of the base mount of the flash.
Some (Jan Shim) have came up with DIY methods of tightening up the base mount to solve this problem.

Me? I just kept cleaning the hot shoe and the base of the flash, hoping that it will never occur again.
but sincerely, I am still very prone to buying another 2 more 580ExII for strobist usage.

Status
Not open for further replies.