Which file format to archive in? JPEG, CR2 or DNG?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrericlee

Sep 27, 2008
Singapore
I shoot in RAW using my Canon. File format is CR2.

But, Scott Kelby is recommending when I download, convert to DNG for slightly smaller file size.

Is there any other reason to convert?

What do you do? Archive is JPEG, CR2 or DNG? Please share your thoughts.

I am thinking after editing my pics in DNG or CR2, just convert to JPEG and keep JPEG's. Has anyone regretted throwing away your Raw files?

Nowadays... Storage is cheap. Portable harddrives and burnable blu-ray are dropping in prices. I usually archive 3 things:

1. RAW file
2. Adobe .ARW file with any edits/PP/etc in full resolution
3. the reduced-size JPEG which is used for uploads/portfolio

Always keep the RAW if you intend to edit the files again... It's a LOSSLESS format.

Jpegs will lose picture quality each time you save over it.

I shoot to RAW, process them and save to both high and low resolutions JPEGs (or TIFFs when requested by client). RAW files are usually kept for 60 days just in case client comes back, else it's usually discarded.

I never see (only once) the need to readjust the shots. In fact, I usually try to achieve my shots as close as possible during the shoot itself and RAW is for minor post-processing.

TS you will have to read up on the old discussion of RAW vs Jpeg. There are benefits of either, use them to your advantage.

DNG is a universal raw format developed by adobe in an attempt to unify the numerous raw formats out there. The only reason why i convert DNG is because my Adobe does not support my raw format :(

Else like what others have mentioned, i do keep my raw files. Memory / space issin an expensive commodity nowadays.

Ryan

I'm using jpgs all the while and most probably raw + jpg for work. The jpgs comes in handy when I need to send out some pictures fast. It doesn't really bother me much when it come to archiving. I keep jpgs and raws. As long as the picture is there when I need it, I'm pretty comfortable.

In RAW

I don't buy into any of the DNG propaganda by Adobe.

As photoediting/viewer software are always backwards compatible, RAW files will always be able to be read by any future versions of the said software.

There is an embedded JPEG file in each RAW file so RAW is good enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.