Which DSLR does not have a shutter sound?

Status
Not open for further replies.
CDig2.jpg
CDig3.2.jpg

CDig4.jpg

Not cheap but certainly cheaper than buying a new system... Sound Blimp

most digital compacts

catchlights said:
For digital camera solutions
#1, use ear plugs.
#2, use digi cam.
#3, use video cam.
#4, shoot with mirror lock up.

and these cameras are known have the most silent shutter sound.
Leica M
most range finder cameras
Large format or view cameras
pin hole cameras

Maybe others can fill in something which I don't know or miss out.

Hope these help.

in a studio, with loud music blaring in the background, with directions being shouted by the photog to the models, the H2 can still be heard distinctly...try, as an estimate, twice the loudness of a D200...oh, as Terence mentioned above, it is very ex...be prepared to pay at least 30k for body and a few lenses...and if you want a digital back...:bigeyes: :devil:

the E10 and E20 are out of production, and you can probably only get them 2nd hand, <$500...a 4Mpixel camera from about 6 years ago (the E10...the E20, 5Mpixel, is about 2yrs younger)...not the fastest cameras, they also have "limited" high iso (400) so if shooting in a dim environment might be a prob...it is also fixed lens, 35-140 f2-2.4, but the lens is most excellent...it is significantly quieter than even the E1 cause of not having the mirror...there's practically no sound...the photographer might hear a light click if you really pay attention, but not much more than that, and a person standing next to the photog most prob won't hear a thing...they even provide a recorded click sound that plays when you press the shutter release in case you like to have aural feedback of a shot (I'm not kidding)...;)

short of getting the sound blimp suggested by Terence, which is supposed to work great but a) is expensive, b) is abit limiting to camera controls, the Sony R1, with a 1.5 crop sensor seems to be the best option...a more modern sensor than the E10 and E20, and with no audible click...

Sony R1 is the closest alternative you can find :)

the new Leica M8 digital M series camera...:think: ;p :lovegrin:

according to the recording from dpreview, M8 does seem louder, and the click of longer duration, than M7...should still be softer than an SLR...guess for digital options, for really quite and good quality images, stick to R1...

Adiemus said:
I'm a Nikon user, so I'm not familiar with the Olympus system.

So the E10 and E20 does not have a mirror. So ... NO MIRROR = NO MIRROR SLAP SOUND
And the mechanical shutter is very quiet. Just how quiet? Is this audible in a quiet concert hall environment?

What is the price range for the E10 and E20?

Thanks to all for feedback and info.

But Olympus E10 & E20 are obsolete models...

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympuse10/

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympuse20/

Status
Not open for further replies.