Which Camera?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WhipperSnap

Oct 4, 2005
I hope I'm in the right place but ok, let's give it a try.

My daughter has recently started college and is studying photography. For that reason, I'd like to get her a good digital camera for Christmas but have no idea what to look for.

I'm not necessarily looking for advise about which camera to buy her, but I'd like some advise about the kind of specs I should be looking out for which buying a good, all-round camera that's suitable for a student.

If anybody could help me with this, I'd be really grateful.

Jane

u need one with a manual control mode.

look out for the Sony R1 which is coming soon,cost ard 1k USD.

studying photography? maybe an DSLR will be good, nikonD50 or canon 350D may fit a lady as its not as hefty as the bigger SLRs.

Hmmm... studying photography in college..... Seems to me that college Prof always like to recommend to their students to buy manual camera.... pretty old school style..... but then i "cheated" a little in that class cos I used a digital camera as my "light meter" to test the output of shots.... :bsmilie: So maybe you would like to consider a pocket P&S camera for her to "cheat" a little in class.... :bsmilie:

Otherwise just go for a DSLR....

Anyways, I am out of school for few years already... so i am not sure if times have changed and if they still teach darkroom techniques and different formats of camera.

wads ur budget?

an all-round SLR or D-SLR system starter may consist of
1. kit lense
2. ext. flash
3. tripod (full height as in eye level or table tripod)
4. spare batt (rechargeable lithium 4 D-SLR)
5. extra memory card
6. LCD protector (4 D-SLR)
etc...

hope tis helps 2 redefine ur budget.:)

WhipperSnap said:

My daughter has recently started college and is studying photography. For that reason, I'd like to get her a good digital camera for Christmas but have no idea what to look for.

I'm not necessarily looking for advise about which camera to buy her, but I'd like some advise about the kind of specs I should be looking out for which buying a good, all-round camera that's suitable for a student.

Jane

Since she is into photography school, it is best to ask her what she would like to have. She ought to know best.

if you find your daughter's really into photography , then you should consider getting a DSLR for the long run. Features wise, most new entry-level DSLRs perform well in terms of picture quality and ease of controls. Nikon D50 and Canon EOS 350D are 2 good DSLR that comes to mind. And the Konica Minolta Dynax 5D has the image stabiliser built into its sensor, so that may come as a plus point to many.

If you want just a point and shoot;Cameras like the Canon Powershot A95 and A520 come with manual controls that allow photographers to be creative as they advance in their skills. Others, like the Panasonc FX 9 or Canon's IXus range, exude style and class, but are equally capable of producing great shots. However they dont have manual controls.

that being said, you could hit the camera stores to ask for recommendations. Hope this helps.

WhipperSnap said:

Jane

oh, welcome 2 Clubsnap! :cheergal: :cheergal: :cheergal:

since she is studying photography in college....maybe can go for a DSLR like the 350D D50 or D70.....but if you get her an entry-level, she might need to upgrade in the future..so maybe can try for the D70s.....not too difficult to handle and got more room for creativity...
Just my two cents worth....

snowspeeder said:
Since she is into photography school, it is best to ask her what she would like to have. She ought to know best.

i agree. also better check if she needs film cam or will digital do. do they still teach film processing and printing?

Status
Not open for further replies.