Where to take fireworks during 31st Dec


Status
Not open for further replies.

jimbok

Senior Member
Nov 6, 2005
605
0
16
Sengkang
#1
Hi guys,

I would like to try my first attempt to capture fireworks, and this year end is my chance. Just would like to ask you all where I can take these pictures of fireworks, which spot is the best :cool: . What time should I go there to prepare for the shots? Are the fireworks start shooting at 12am sharp? Read through the forum and generally my settings would be f8 or f11, about 3-10 seconds of shutter time according to personal preference, hmm not really sure about ISO (800?). I hope I will not be taking trial and error shots throughout the whole fireworks session :cry:

Got my kit lens and a cheapo tripod ready to try my first attempt. Would like to hear from everyone thanks! :angel:
 

jimbok

Senior Member
Nov 6, 2005
605
0
16
Sengkang
#3
Thanks zaxh81!
So settings would be
Aperture: f8-f11
ISO: 100
Shutter speed: 3 to whatever preference seconds

Equipments to bring: Camera, Tripod! (doh:bsmilie: )

P.S. Merry Christmas to everyone! :vhappy:
 

zaxh81

Senior Member
Jan 29, 2003
4,339
0
0
Earth
louisleow.blogspot.com
#4
jimbok said:
Thanks zaxh81!
So settings would be
Aperture: f8-f11
ISO: 100
Shutter speed: 3 to whatever preference seconds

Equipments to bring: Camera, Tripod! (doh:bsmilie: )

P.S. Merry Christmas to everyone! :vhappy:
yes,plus bulb mode and cable release so that you no need to worry about shutter speed.:thumbsup:
 

jimbok

Senior Member
Nov 6, 2005
605
0
16
Sengkang
#5
Err.. Anyone else can give some tips about the location?
 

yyD70S

Senior Member
Dec 25, 2005
2,454
0
0
Singapore
#6
The Marina Bay Countdown as one member has posted somewhere.


http://www.esplanade.com/SOPApp/espsop/portal_proxy?uri=SPZLCtNkTbYPEmCWu!=EQ_YM7or6RsmOKvd@5rq-E_iUX,lzcq.8pr-lIpKKn@=k,eNwqqO0OD.dcwduMsJFM


31 Dec 05, from 8pm
Along Marina Bay


P.S. Besides everything, do note that firing long exposures will drain off your battery fast! So don't get all your homework done on settings, tripods, etc and missed out on extra battery(ies)...
 

Apr 12, 2005
1,767
0
0
#7
Yes, settings are
Aperture : F/8-F/16 (smaller aperture such as f/11 or F/16 will give finer(thinner and probably nicer) fireworks trails than using F/8)
Shutter : 3-8 seconds (or even longer, depending on the light and duration intensity).
ISO : 100 or lowest possible (such as 200 on Nikon D50 or D70)

My previous shots :
http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=144937


I'm thinking of going down to Sentosa on 31 Dec in the afternoon to take some pictures and then later in the night/evening, shoot the fireworks at Mount Faber from Sentosa Ferry Terminal.

However I'm worried that it's too far to shoot from there. Think must do some recce around Mt. Faber first before heading to Sentosa.
 

jimbok

Senior Member
Nov 6, 2005
605
0
16
Sengkang
#8
Thanks for all the prompt replies. So 2 locations currently suggested:

1) Marina Bay
2) Sentosa
3)
4)
5)

Got a question though, when I take the fireworks, should I focus on the fireworks or focus on the objects (buildings) beside the fireworks? Should I set to manual focus or auto focus?
Thanks!
 

burger

New Member
Aug 6, 2005
189
0
0
CCK
#9
Clockunder said:
Yes, settings are
Aperture : F/8-F/16 (smaller aperture such as f/11 or F/16 will give finer(thinner and probably nicer) fireworks trails than using F/8)
Shutter : 3-8 seconds (or even longer, depending on the light and duration intensity).
ISO : 100 or lowest possible (such as 200 on Nikon D50 or D70)

My previous shots :
http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=144937


I'm thinking of going down to Sentosa on 31 Dec in the afternoon to take some pictures and then later in the night/evening, shoot the fireworks at Mount Faber from Sentosa Ferry Terminal.

However I'm worried that it's too far to shoot from there. Think must do some recce around Mt. Faber first before heading to Sentosa.
There will be fireworks on Sentosa itself during the NYE Splash

Fireworks Extravaganza: Be there to experience the 2 spectacular fireworks displays complete with light and laser effects.
 

Canew

Senior Member
Jul 26, 2005
2,229
0
0
Tampines
hjgoh.spaces.live.com
#10
yyD70S said:
Here are my assumptions on the fireworks display:
1. That the fireworks will commence on the dot of midnight.
2. That the location will be the same as the fireworks that were shot during National Day celebrations. (meaning if you are on the Sheares Benjamin bridge, you will need to turn AWAY from the Esplanade)
3. Wonder how long will the display be...??

Anyone care to comment on my points above?
 

deepict

New Member
Mar 27, 2003
27
0
0
Visit site
#11
jimbok said:
Got a question though, when I take the fireworks, should I focus on the fireworks or focus on the objects (buildings) beside the fireworks? Should I set to manual focus or auto focus?
Thanks!
You should only use manual focus or you run the risk of it trying to focus on black sky
 

jimbok

Senior Member
Nov 6, 2005
605
0
16
Sengkang
#12
Hmmm... Looks like here in CS a lot of crouching tiger hidden dragons. I guess we gotta find out by ourselves to find the correct spot for fireworks.
Thanks for those who have replied to this thread, helped me a lot.
 

Astin

Senior Member
Mar 2, 2002
4,736
0
36
Astin Studio
astin.clubsnap.org
#15
jimbok said:
Hi Astin, thanks for the tips. Btw, how do I set to infinity?
Set your camera and lens to "Manual Focus" mode, then turn the focus ring to the "Infinity" sign (the sign looks like number "8" sideways).
 

jimbok

Senior Member
Nov 6, 2005
605
0
16
Sengkang
#16
Astin said:
Set your camera and lens to "Manual Focus" mode, then turn the focus ring to the "Infinity" sign (the sign looks like number "8" sideways).
Hmm alrite, but I dont think my kit lens 18-55 has that sign :confused:. Search through some threads turninng the focus ring all the way won't work for focus infinity. So should i focus the objects that's near the fireworks location then set to manual focus?
 

Astin

Senior Member
Mar 2, 2002
4,736
0
36
Astin Studio
astin.clubsnap.org
#17
jimbok said:
Hmm alrite, but I dont think my kit lens 18-55 has that sign :confused:. Search through some threads turninng the focus ring all the way won't work for focus infinity. So should i focus the objects that's near the fireworks location then set to manual focus?
I am not too sure abt the DX18-55, but u can try to focus at something very far and with contrast, example, if u stand at Esplanade, u can try to focus at the furtherest building in CBD, the idea is to focus as close to infinity as possible. Fireworks shoot to the top of the sky, its going to be a few hundred meters above u...
 

Apr 12, 2005
1,767
0
0
#18
burger said:
There will be fireworks on Sentosa itself during the NYE Splash
I think the one at Mt. Faber is more unique and last longer. So I would prefer to shoot it instead of the ones at Marina Esplanade and Sentosa NYE Splash.
 

yyD70S

Senior Member
Dec 25, 2005
2,454
0
0
Singapore
#20
jimbok said:
Hmmm... Looks like here in CS a lot of crouching tiger hidden dragons. I guess we gotta find out by ourselves to find the correct spot for fireworks.
Thanks for those who have replied to this thread, helped me a lot.

IIRC, re. yesterday's Straits Times, the best viewpoint for the Marina Bay fireworks would be along the Esplanade Waterfront and the adjoining bridge.


Regards.
 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom