where to learn more on lens

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you have been using digital cam most probably shall be used to live view. It helps a lot without having to rely on checking the exposure meter in the viewfinder to acertain if you get the desired exposure. If you do get older dslr models without live view you have to get familiar and get to the sweet spot for each and every differnt type of lenses you may mount on the cam. Its a challenge if you look at it the positive way, a challenge to shoot just like a 'blind' skilled swordsman.

i trusted the live histogram on the EVF a lot when i first bought my camera...but it always disappoint me and i never used that after using it for a few month..turn it off as it is not "ZUN" at all....rely on my instinct is more "ZUN"..:)

i never really care about the focal length(until now)..cause using FZ5..just zoom to the distance i like..:)...but i do love scenary and always find my lens not wide enough...have to step back a lot still cannot achieve what i want.. :)
I really have to reconsider as...i am tight on budget..having spend a bomb on my tour..
hahah... well I've done a little research and I'm not surprised that you didn't find your camera wide enough. The focal range for the FZ5 is 36 mm - 432 mm. I had the equivalent of the wide end for my 24-105 on a crop camera (i.e. 24mm x 1.6 = 37mm about there.)

It sounds like you like nice wide angle lenses. :) unfortunately the ultra wide angles (UWA) out there are not exactly within your budget, the most feasible one for you now would probably be the EF-S 10-22mm (16-35mm equiv. on crop cameras), but that would cost a few dollars short of 1k haha.

i never really care about the focal length(until now)..cause using FZ5..just zoom to the distance i like..:)...but i do love scenary and always find my lens not wide enough...have to step back a lot still cannot achieve what i want.. :)
I really have to reconsider as...i am tight on budget..having spend a bomb on my tour..

Some do not care about wide lens - says just take a step back and you gott a wide angle shot. May be true tosome extend but the reason like like UWA is to use them and shoot at a tilted angle. I just like the persepctive distortion. As for telephoto, the longer the better. Anything short of 500mm plus 1.4x telecon so that autofocus can still be achieved is my honey and drugs.

Some do not care about wide lens - says just take a step back and you gott a wide angle shot. May be true tosome extend but the reason like like UWA is to use them and shoot at a tilted angle. I just like the persepctive distortion. As for telephoto, the longer the better. Anything short of 500mm plus 1.4x telecon so that autofocus can still be achieved is my honey and drugs.

i care...that why when i step back still cannot get the effect at all..haiz...:)
wide lens are so expensive one...got cheaper one bo less than 500?:)

i care...that why when i step back still cannot get the effect at all..haiz...:)
wide lens are so expensive one...got cheaper one bo less than 500?:)

You'll have to look to the second hand market, and its condition won't be very good.

only considering two brand...Canon and Pentax ....;p....

No difference. Wide angle optics are generally found in the $700-1000 range new, so with your budget, you'll only have to be looking secondhand.

I still cant decide which body to get..haiz:)/.//
Canon Eos1000, Alpha 200(cheap price) but high ISO noisy...Pentax k200d...(haven tried a real one yet in sg)

do take note of diff brand use diff lens and some body can only use certain lens even same on same brand. eg. canon 5D use EF lens only. 40D use EF and EF-S lens

canon have EF and EF-S lens
Nikon got AP and AP-S, Some with VR some without, FX and DX... etc
Olympus and panasonic DSLR using 4/3 lens
blah blah blah...

BTW if u want to know what lens Olympus and Panasonic DSLR using, you can visit

www.four-thirds.org

read all these before your decision.

Last edited:
do take note of diff brand use diff lens and some body can only use certain lens even same on same brand. eg. canon 5D use EF lens only. 40D use EF and EF-S lens

canon have EF and EF-S lens
Nikon got AP and AP-S, Some with VR some without, FX and DX... etc
Olympus and panasonic DSLR using 4/3 lens
blah blah blah...

BTW if u want to know what lens Olympus and Panasonic DSLR using, you can visit

www.four-thirds.org

read all these before your decision.

Er, Nikon's differentiation is using the term DX for lenses that have a smaller image circle, not AP and AP-S.

Hi jlpk007, just found this 1-wk old thread.

My advice:
- before you buy that camera, think about the long term eg will you be using the camera 3 years down the road because that will probably decide the type of lens you will need. Diff brands have diff type of lens and price

- use the kit lens first if your camera comes with one - usual case. Do not buy any lens yet. After using awhile, then you will naturally 'know' what type of lens you want.

- you really need to understand lens and all its jargon f(number), shutter speed, etc, otherwise there will not be any informed decision making because then you will not know what the lens can and cannot do. A good place to start will be ClubSNAP's Photography 101 for Newbies

- other useful sites:
This site will explain what EF, L-series, etc for Canon lenses and other notation used by the major lens vendor.

Photozone has a lens review section as well.

Tamron site has a site where it allows you to have a look at how the focal point changes the perspective of subject.

I am both happy and sad for you have taken the first slippery steps to the expensive but rewarding world of photography!

Hi jlpk007, just found this 1-wk old thread.

My advice:
- before you buy that camera, think about the long term eg will you be using the camera 3 years down the road because that will probably decide the type of lens you will need. Diff brands have diff type of lens and price

- use the kit lens first if your camera comes with one - usual case. Do not buy any lens yet. After using awhile, then you will naturally 'know' what type of lens you want.

- you really need to understand lens and all its jargon f(number), shutter speed, etc, otherwise there will not be any informed decision making because then you will not know what the lens can and cannot do. A good place to start will be ClubSNAP's Photography 101 for Newbies

- other useful sites:
This site will explain what EF, L-series, etc for Canon lenses and other notation used by the major lens vendor.

Photozone has a lens review section as well.

Tamron site has a site where it allows you to have a look at how the focal point changes the perspective of subject.

I am both happy and sad for you have taken the first slippery steps to the expensive but rewarding world of photography!

THanks ...i have decided 3 choices...pentax k200d,canon eos 1000d, Canon eos 450d..
Should be buying in the next few weeks or so..when i am free..need to get use to it before going for my tour:)

Status
Not open for further replies.