where to find the cheap HDMI cable for 500D?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ekardo

May 14, 2002
Visit site
the one with the mini HDMI end..I wanna watch those video off my TV..

the one with the mini HDMI end..I wanna watch those video off my TV..
Probably the cheapest is to order from the internet. But for a couple of dollars more, I'd rather get it locally and avoid the hassle and risk of ordering online and waiting for shipment. You can find these cables or mini HDMI converter (if you already have standard HDMI cables) at Sim Lim Square, 3rd floor UF Tech or 6th floor ISTM. I am in no way related to these companies.

I've bought cables and some other stuff from here, http://www.monoprice.com/home/index.asp

Pretty fast service from them and shipped via vpost. Yes, you don't get it instantly, but prices are pretty cheap. :)

what is the price in SLS ?
it would be good if we conduct a MO on the cable..I am sure a lot of CSers will need this cable..

what is the price in SLS ?
it would be good if we conduct a MO on the cable..I am sure a lot of CSers will need this cable..
Think the cable is just over $20 at Sim Lim. I'm not sure there will be "lots" of CSers who need the cable since many think video on DSLR is nothing more than a gimmicky novelty. Those who do take videos normally just download onto PC for editing anyway. Btw, the HDMI output from the camera is not at Full HD just in case you didn't know.

oh..then those video taken at full hd (eg, on a 500d) is downsized and display on HD TV?

oh..then those video taken at full hd (eg, on a 500d) is downsized and display on HD TV?

From Canon, Specs for 500D,

Recording size: 1920 x 1080:20fps (Full HD), 1280 x 720:30fps and 640 x 480:30fps (SD)

20 fps is probably too slow to watch, so if you choose to record at 1280x720 at 30 fps, it will be the "smaller" resolution of HD.

Last edited:
From Canon, Specs for 500D,

Recording size: 1920 x 1080:20fps (Full HD), 1280 x 720:30fps and 640 x 480:30fps (SD)

20 fps is probably too slow to watch, so if you choose to record at 1280x720 at 30 fps, it will be the "smaller" resolution of HD.

Actually PAL is just 25fps....you cannot really tell 20FPS from 25fps..

Actually PAL is just 25fps....you cannot really tell 20FPS from 25fps..

You can tell 20 fps versus 30 fps on a computer screen though. Very odd that they chose 20 fps...

You can tell 20 fps versus 30 fps on a computer screen though. Very odd that they chose 20 fps...

in a way, yes, my office laptop cannot play a 20fps 1080p file properly..but can play a 30fps 720p file smoothly..

Whether it is taken at 720p or 1080p, AFAIK the HDMI port on the camera only displays at 480p. At least that's true for the 5D2, so I'm only guessing that it's the same for the 500D.

oh..so the HDMI cable is totally overspec...

thanks for the advice..I think I shall keep to the cable Canon provided..

oh, anyone able to display the video in PS3 ?

oh..so the HDMI cable is totally overspec...

thanks for the advice..I think I shall keep to the cable Canon provided..
Overspec? Not sure what you mean. HDMI at 480p is still much better than using the cable Canon provided. That cable is RCA video out is ANALOG! Quite bad actually..

480p is only like my DVD player with Composite cable...
I have not seen HDMI cable with lower than 720p resolution...so to me, it's under spec..haha.

480p is only like my DVD player with Composite cable...
I have not seen HDMI cable with lower than 720p resolution...so to me, it's under spec..haha.
Maybe so.. but trust me, the RCA video out is quite bad compared to the HDMI out. Already can see the difference on a small LCD monitor so I don't even want to see it on a large screen LCD TV.

Status
Not open for further replies.