Where to buy camera plus zoom lens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bee

Mar 22, 2004
I intend to purchase a canon camera (still trying to figure out which model) togather with zoom lens + tripod. Total Budget $3000/-
Any recommendations on where to buy from? :think:

Thanks for the links.

Another question, I have a Canon G1. Sometime in the near future, I intendto get a new 6+ megapixel camera. If I get a telephoto zoom for the G1, will I be able to use it on the new camera too. Meaning, are lenses of standard size?

Bee said:
Thanks for the links.

Another question, I have a Canon G1. Sometime in the near future, I intendto get a new 6+ megapixel camera. If I get a telephoto zoom for the G1, will I be able to use it on the new camera too. Meaning, are lenses of standard size?

Do you mean getting a telephoto convertor for your G1 ? It has to depend on what is the thread size of the telephoto convertor.. if it is 58mm, then you can only fit it on other cameras lens who also uses 58mm filter thread size, but there are always step down adapters to use 58mm filters on a 55 or 52mm thread size camera lens etc.

majere2sg said:
Do you mean getting a telephoto convertor for your G1 ? It has to depend on what is the thread size of the telephoto convertor.. if it is 58mm, then you can only fit it on other cameras lens who also uses 58mm filter thread size, but there are always step down adapters to use 58mm filters on a 55 or 52mm thread size camera lens etc.

Thanks. Are there any adv/disadv on any thread size? Or are this just dependedent on availability

do note that telephoto converter used on digital cameras (mounted in front of the lens) is different from SLR teleconverters which are mounted between the camera body and lens (which could be changed for SLRs with interchangeable lens. cameras like G1 has a fixed lens). so if you intend to get a DSLR in the future, you may not be using the telephoto converter that you get now for the G1.

anyway, if you want a telephoto converter now, consider the Olympus TCON17 1.7x teleconverter (~$140). Get a 58-55mm step down ring which cost less than $10 (if you have the original Canon lens adaptor. you need either this or a third party one to attach additional accessory lenses).

AVOID all 2x or 2.5x teleconverters because for the majority of them, the quality is lousy and they perform badly.

mpenza said:
do note that telephoto converter used on digital cameras (mounted in front of the lens) is different from SLR teleconverters which are mounted between the camera body and lens (which could be changed for SLRs with interchangeable lens. cameras like G1 has a fixed lens). so if you intend to get a DSLR in the future, you may not be using the telephoto converter that you get now for the G1.

anyway, if you want a telephoto converter now, consider the Olympus TCON17 1.7x teleconverter (~$140). Get a 58-55mm step down ring which cost less than $10 (if you have the original Canon lens adaptor. you need either this or a third party one to attach additional accessory lenses).

AVOID all 2x or 2.5x teleconverters because for the majority of them, the quality is lousy and they perform badly.

Thanks. That was very helpful :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.