Where/how do you verify if a lens has deteriorated?

timothee

Sep 8, 2008
Singapore, Boon Keng
Hi all,

Some months ago, I accidentally dropped my Nikon 10.5mm full-frame fisheye lens. It still works OK, focuses, no scratch, etc. But I have this nagging feeling that images are slightly more blurred than they used to be.

What is the best way to check if my lens is "faulty"? Would the Nikon service center have the equipment to test that it is still within acceptable quality range (or not)? If not, is there anywhere else I could go that could do that?

Thanks in advance!
Tim

Send to service centre. Maybe out of alignment. They should have equipment to test this. If not, better close shop.

Depends on many factors, some questions.

1) Drop from what height?
2) On to what surface?
3) Any focusing ring stiffness?
4) When doing manual focusing, do you feel any resistance or grinding?
5 Tested on tripod at safe shutter speed?

Hi all,

Some months ago, I accidentally dropped my Nikon 10.5mm full-frame fisheye lens. It still works OK, focuses, no scratch, etc. But I have this nagging feeling that images are slightly more blurred than they used to be.

What is the best way to check if my lens is "faulty"? Would the Nikon service center have the equipment to test that it is still within acceptable quality range (or not)? If not, is there anywhere else I could go that could do that?

Thanks in advance!
Tim

use the same settings and techniques of a previous photo and compare.