Where and how do I get quality prints?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bandapear

May 25, 2009
I'm so sorry if this is a dumb question, and I've tried hunting around the internets, but it's become endlessly frustrating.

Long story short, I've got to a place where I'm getting great shots, but want to have tangible copies of them.

So I'm wondering where I should go to do this. I'm assuming places like Wal Mart might not be the best idea, but also, they may be as good as the next place; I just have no idea.

Also, I'm just wondering about the logistics of what I should bring it. Is a certain file format (png or jpg) better than others? And as for the pixels per inch, is that something I specify to the lab I bring my images to? Or is there something I have to do to the file information before I bring in the files?

Any help on this would be great. I just spent a week taking great holiday pictures, and now have no idea how to get them on paper for the family.

Thanks in advance guys.

Where are you located? This is a Singapore-based forum, and we don't have Wal-Mart here. You might want to check on US-based forums like DPReview.

I'm so sorry if this is a dumb question, and I've tried hunting around the internets, but it's become endlessly frustrating.

Long story short, I've got to a place where I'm getting great shots, but want to have tangible copies of them.

So I'm wondering where I should go to do this. I'm assuming places like Wal Mart might not be the best idea, but also, they may be as good as the next place; I just have no idea.

Also, I'm just wondering about the logistics of what I should bring it. Is a certain file format (png or jpg) better than others? And as for the pixels per inch, is that something I specify to the lab I bring my images to? Or is there something I have to do to the file information before I bring in the files?

Any help on this would be great. I just spent a week taking great holiday pictures, and now have no idea how to get them on paper for the family.

Thanks in advance guys.
it's good that you've reached the point of desiring for the print.

i would advise you to start yourself on learning how to make your own prints on an inkjet with fineart paper. it's gonna be a long process learning about color management and profiles but the satisfaction is greater than any lab print you've gotten in the past.

Where are you located? This is a Singapore-based forum, and we don't have Wal-Mart here. You might want to check on US-based forums like DPReview.

Hmmm... is that true? I'm pretty sure you're pulling my leg.

it's good that you've reached the point of desiring for the print.

i would advise you to start yourself on learning how to make your own prints on an inkjet with fineart paper. it's gonna be a long process learning about color management and profiles but the satisfaction is greater than any lab print you've gotten in the past.
fineart paper? wah first time heard that this is available to enthusiasts like us.
now i using epson T50 with epson archival matt on PC.

what other paper would you recommend? (that comes along with canned profiles) for enthusiasts la! hahaha not good enough to go pro yet.

And to TS, we are definitely not bullshitting you hahhaa. simply take a look around the forum and you will notice that we all speak Singlish which you might have trouble understanding. Eg. the lines above.

Hmmm... is that true? I'm pretty sure you're pulling my leg.
Hi Bandapear, yes this is a predominately singapore based forum so try not to ask us about shops within the US. but techinical questions we can still handle. =)

fineart paper? wah first time heard that this is available to enthusiasts like us.
now i using epson T50 with epson archival matt on PC.

what other paper would you recommend? (that comes along with canned profiles) for enthusiasts la! hahaha not good enough to go pro yet.

And to TS, we are definitely not bullshitting you hahhaa. simply take a look around the forum and you will notice that we all speak Singlish which you might have trouble understanding. Eg. the lines above.
The most readily available fineart paper sources here in SG will be museo paper from cathay and hahnemuehle, which is harder to find. you can PM me if you want to talk more about papers.

I would look for a local professional photo lab in your city.

I'm sure that you can find it in the yellow pages or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.