When she is just a little girl

louis23

Jun 22, 2008
ANG MO KIO
img_23341.jpg

I managed to get her to stay as still as possible while I tried to get this shot of her.

1. In which area is critique or feedback to be given?
Composition and feel of the image. And other comments if possible.

2. What were you hoping to achieve with this image?
A little portrait of my cousin with her looking up at the camera

3. Under what circumstance was the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
Canon 550D, 50mm f1.8, ISO 200, 1/15
This shot was taken as she was fidgeting about in her position, hence you can see a little motion blur. Location is my house corridor which was not very brightly lit at that time in the afternoon.

4. My personal thoughts about the image.
After some processing of the colours and contrast and sharpness, I love how the final image is a calm, peaceful portrait of the other mischievous girl.
I feel it's a very nice portrait of her.

The pic is too tight on the right, I would prefer not cropping off the left shoulder. I think the face is slight blur (OOF)?

Last edited:
I agree her left shoulder should not be cut off, for me it feels "painful".
Also, you shouldn't be afraid to increase your ISO to get a faster shutter speed, hence reducing the motion blur.
Having used a 550D before, I'd probably be at ISO800 with at least a 1/60 shutter speed. Or even ISO1600 1/120.

sorry to say this but your shuttle speed is not enough to overcome your handshake...

i think the handshake is a minor issue.
i would prefer to include more of the lower half and cut off some of the head.
include more of the hands, hopefully the head the shoulders and the hands form a circle.

in contrast to what others say, I disagree about cutting the shoulder. It might just make the composition more interesting! But yeah, first thing first, out of focus is never a good thing. :(

Thanks for ur critique guys! Yeah so i guess a focused shot for a portrait is very important. :D

You shot this at iso200. Which means you had a lot of room to to push up the shutter speed than the 1/15. I like the moment and the girl has very enchanting eyes. Pity the motion blur spoil it all.