What's wrong with my Sunset Picture at Sentosa Siloso Beach?

Status
Not open for further replies.
to me the original photo looks romantic.. full of feelings of expression... whereas the edited one jus felt like a normal sunset... ;)

eikin said:
i would think that flourescent and cloudy WB are the most preferred :)

Ok thanks.

zhang3feng said:
to me the original photo looks romantic.. full of feelings of expression... whereas the edited one jus felt like a normal sunset... ;)

Ok noted with thanks.

Trying out some photoshop editing which I've just learned. Shifted the guys (acutally one of them is a girl) to the centre and used select "color range" to adjust the blue sky.

Opps! I had shifted the guys slightly nearer to behind the bright sun line along the beach but I now realise that I have gone back to the wrong history point and undid the shift as I tried to re-do some editing. The sun's reflection shouldn't have been there behind the guys.

dscn0024editedcolours640frame2.jpg

Here it is (after a patch up) : :sweat:

Any improvement over the 1st picture posted in this thread?

dscn0024editedcolours640frame8.jpg

the reason u feel unease over your picture is due to the unbalanced composition.

clockundersunset2.jpg

While the two points of land at opposite ends of the frame do well to contain the viewer within the centre but notice how little ur points of anchor between the foreground interest and main subject dominates the entire image. that effectively leaves 3/4 of negative space. the imaginary line is incomplete leaving the viewer nowhere to go after reaching the sun.

as such, it is preferred that the subjects of interest (for landscape) be placed at diagonal corners of each other to cover the entire frame. I've also cropped off the foreground slightly. And notice that the guy in white effectively acts as the start/end of the imaginary line.
clockundersunset1.jpg

Colours wise, i believe it's a minor issue.

foxtwo said:
the reason u feel unease over your picture is due to the unbalanced composition.

clockundersunset2.jpg

While the two points of land at opposite ends of the frame do well to contain the viewer within the centre but notice how little ur points of anchor between the foreground interest and main subject dominates the entire image. that effectively leaves 3/4 of negative space. the imaginary line is incomplete leaving the viewer nowhere to go after reaching the sun.

as such, it is preferred that the subjects of interest (for landscape) be placed at diagonal corners of each other to cover the entire frame. I've also cropped off the foreground slightly. And notice that the guy in white effectively acts as the start/end of the imaginary line.
clockundersunset1.jpg

Colours wise, i believe it's a minor issue.

I think you probably have got what I was missing.

Now after your comments, I look at my original picture again and it was indeed the "excessive negative space" which had given me a "something is not right" feeling. Things which were "uninteresting" filled a large proportion of the whole picture and there was a hidden feeling of disappointment when the viewer's eyes go around the picture for quite some time in search of something interesting other than the setting sun, coloured part of the sky, reflection in the sea and the guys on the beach. The interesting subjects were actually confined to a smaller contiguous rectangular area than the whole original frame.

Your edited picture successfully confine the viewer quickly to the main subjects of the picture.

I guess it would have been slightly better if those guys are not so near the edge of the picture.

I have many landscape pictures which have the same problem and I didn't know what exactly was wrong.

Now I know. Thanks.

Clockunder said:
I have many landscape pictures which have the same problem and I didn't know what exactly was wrong.

hmmm this is jus one way to solve this image, for it so happens u already have a ready made picture within. it may not be for other images for there are many other factors to consider other & including the use of 'space'. Some images benefit from negative space to balance itself, (not possible in this image). i trust u will learn to apply appropriately to suit your tastes. :D

foxtwo said:
hmmm this is jus one way to solve this image, for it so happens u already have a ready made picture within. it may not be for other images for there are many other factors to consider other & including the use of 'space'. Some images benefit from negative space to balance itself, (not possible in this image). i trust u will learn to apply appropriately to suit your tastes. :D

Thanks again.

the sun set too early ;)

I think you over-enhance the colour somehow. It looks too unnatural. And your subject placing a bit too near to the framing, like they are everywhere near the corner. POI also not strong enough.

AngelZhou said:
I think you over-enhance the colour somehow. It looks too unnatural. And your subject placing a bit too near to the framing, like they are everywhere near the corner. POI also not strong enough.

there's alot of unnatural photos out there which looks :thumbsup: too...
i think it's a personnal liking thing... afterall photography is subjective.. it depends on photographer style & concept and the group of viewers at the time & location...

but i agree that the people are place too much to the corner in the frame...

;)

AngelZhou said:

Ok noted. Thanks.

I also think it's too pinkish but I like the latter one which is more orange in colour instead of pink.

Status
Not open for further replies.