Whats the difference in picture quality between a P&S and a DSLR?

Status
Not open for further replies.
blive said:
Why is there a need for composition using LCD? No doubt easier, but with practise and experience, composing a shot with VF is not that difficult.

Its a valid point to inform buyers before they jump to dSLR, especially those used to compact cameras. a live preview LCD sometimes be useful, example concerts or crowded places where you can lift your camera high above your head and get a shot, or those difficult to reach corners for a special macro shot, or self potraits, etc. :lovegrin:

nil, zip, nada, it's the brain behind the camera that makes the difference.

boroangel said:
Ever since that Ben from AP let me touch the D50...initial reaction was that it was so much bigger than my S5500......but now its like kinda contagious.....keep thinking about it.....if shooting using the D50 kit lens gives better image quality and sharpness than S9500 then it will be very tempting since the S9500 cost almost 1K and the D50 is like $1200+ now...

PS: Next time just see dont touch...touch liao cannot resist hehe...

QUICK QUICK!!! GO TOUCH THE D200!!! :devil: :devil:

What the most expensive DSLR around ah and how much it cost? Got a pic anot? so that next time the sales try to lend me I dont touch...

boroangel said:
What the most expensive DSLR around ah and how much it cost? Got a pic anot? so that next time the sales try to lend me I dont touch...
Something like this full format?
phase one
Not sure about the price though.

boroangel said:
Sorry if this sounds like a stupid question.....been using the S5500 for some time now and really itching for a S9500 or a DSLR soon.....very attracted by the D50.....but I was just wondering....I know DSLR would give better pics than a normal prosumer but let say I have a prosumer and a DSLR......both having the same MP and focal ranges and I shoot at the same settings, aperture, shutter speed,ISO, white balance etc.........is there a huge difference in the picture quality like colour and sharpness produced by the respective cameras?

The difference can be quite obvious at the extremely end of the ISO range but not very much at the lowest end, Unless you start blowing them up to 16x20 or bigger. This difference is due largely to the sensor size. With the same mp count, the larger SLR sensor allows cleaner noiseless picture for a wider range of iso settings. This is because the larger area allows more space between sensor pixels which reduces signal interference between them, thus resulting in less noise generated.
Incidently, it is also this sensor size difference that require SLR lenses to be larger for the same magnification as prosumers.

Also keep in mind that with a bigger camera, you might opt to leave the camera at home on those days that you are not specfically going out to take pictures whereas, with a smaller prosumer camera, you might decide to bring it along just for the heck of it. On these days, which will be more than you think, you might get the oportunity to capture 'the picture of a lifetime'. Now comparing this picture with no picture at all, I'd say that the quality would be infinitely better than an SLR literaly.
Add to this, the nice little extras like being able to take movies as well, It'd really start you thinking wouldn't it? ;)

zcf said:
Something like this full format?
phase one
Not sure about the price though.
its no more the cannon mk2?
tt cost 2 bombs??

MDZ2 said:
The difference can be quite obvious at the extremely end of the ISO range but not very much at the lowest end, Unless you start blowing them up to 16x20 or bigger. This difference is due largely to the sensor size. With the same mp count, the larger SLR sensor allows cleaner noiseless picture for a wider range of iso settings. This is because the larger area allows more space between sensor pixels which reduces signal interference between them, thus resulting in less noise generated.
Incidently, it is also this sensor size difference that require SLR lenses to be larger for the same magnification as prosumers.

Also keep in mind that with a bigger camera, you might opt to leave the camera at home on those days that you are not specfically going out to take pictures whereas, with a smaller prosumer camera, you might decide to bring it along just for the heck of it. On these days, which will be more than you think, you might get the oportunity to capture 'the picture of a lifetime'. Now comparing this picture with no picture at all, I'd say that the quality would be infinitely better than an SLR literaly.
Add to this, the nice little extras like being able to take movies as well, It'd really start you thinking wouldn't it? ;)

Ok now you are pulling me back to a S9500.....although if I get a DSLR I would still keep my S5500 as its my first camera.

boroangel said:
Ok now you are pulling me back to a S9500.....although if I get a DSLR I would still keep my S5500 as its my first camera.

Actually you have got to decide on what your basic intention is. To take good photos or mainly a P&S shot. I bought a Canon S2 during June 05 but sold it off after 5months of usage coz it doesnt seem to meet to my expectations. I would expect that it should be able to take a Bokeh photo (Focus on subject but blur background) but it hardly can do the job. Eventually, I found out that it isnt about me but because the sensor cant handle the job. If you are looking for DSLR, perhaps you can go to our Buy & Sell sections because you can get very good deal there.

I've bought a D70 after I sold off my Canon S2 for $1,900. The package includes

i.) D70 (Body only), 1 yr old, Shutter Count 2,500
ii.) AF 50mm f1.4 + filter
iii.) Speedlight SB800
iv.) 2 x 1 GB CF Card
v.) 2 x Original Batteries

And I acquire a 18-70 f4-5.6 (kit lens for D70/ D70s) lately for $340.

Total costs = $2,240.00 (to date)

boroangel said:
trust me, once u got yr DSLR, yr S5000 will be left alone...
u just can't go back to a "slow" cam.

Status
Not open for further replies.