What's the diff between a Hoya Cir Plrzr and a B&W CP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrogLAH

Oct 6, 2006
Khatib
www.flickr.com
Hi,

I would like to get a CP for my lenses. Can ye ole experienced hobbyists and Pros advise on the difference between Hoya and B&W CP apart from the price and branding?

B&W filters seems to be manufactured from glass cylinders used for optical applications. The filter is cut from the cylinder, then polished and check for flatness and that the two faces are parallel, hence producing a optical superior product.
Others (not specifically Hoya) may use normal glass that comes in sheets (also referred to as window glass), coat it and sell it as filters. This is a lot cheaper to manufacture but the optical quality is lesser.

B&W filters seems to be manufactured from glass cylinders used for optical applications. The filter is cut from the cylinder, then polished and check for flatness and that the two faces are parallel, hence producing a optical superior product.
Others (not specifically Hoya) may use normal glass that comes in sheets (also referred to as window glass), coat it and sell it as filters. This is a lot cheaper to manufacture but the optical quality is lesser.

WOW..thanks for the info..no wonder the high cost then..

Initially I didnt quite believe there is a difference between B+W and Hoya.

I first used Hoya CP on film so couldnt tell the diff

In Dec 06 i got to use the Hoya and B+W during my holiday trip and on my pc I could see faint circular polarized lines while in B+W there were not.

ive yet to see any definitive test that establishes why its B&W is worth the extra $$$. just get the hoya.

Initially I didnt quite believe there is a difference between B+W and Hoya.

I first used Hoya CP on film so couldnt tell the diff

In Dec 06 i got to use the Hoya and B+W during my holiday trip and on my pc I could see faint circular polarized lines while in B+W there were not.

Will you be able to share the pics with B&W and HOYA for comparison?

Status
Not open for further replies.