What to look out for when buying 2nd hand canon 300D?

Status
Not open for further replies.

digi~ET

Dec 2, 2002
SG
www.digiet.net
finally.....making a big step forward?^^| haha...still not 100% sure yet after a long thinking.

but would like to ask what should I look out for when buying a 2nd hand 300D? I have not touched dslr for a long enough time to really know thru out, so far only taken some pics (less than 20) using my friend one.... once or twice

what do u guys use to check for hot pixel / dead pixel other than covering the lens with cap and take a pic^^|... (in the first place...do i need such a test for dslr?)

Other than that what else do i look out for? I got laptop ..so can always bring to check^^

btw..normally wats the average life span of a dslr? cos ...300D 2nd hand now are mostly abt 2yrs old............. wonder how long can it go furthur ... (my g2 shutter count has already reseted by itself... so is like > 10k ^^|..... 2-3 yrs old also wonder how long can it last on, still wondering if i shd sell my g2 after i bought a dslr...)

oh no.......i can't keep my mind off the tot of upgrading! haha.....

300D is definitely worth the upgrade from a PnS to a DSLR. Great beginner lens. If you're worried abt the age, get the 350D then. More functions, more MPs and still an easy camera to learn. Second prices dropping thanks to the 30D...

2nd hand prices for 350D is 1k...while 300D is 600^^||| lowest i see...

and somehow i like the grip of 300D more than 350D....hahaha......not sure why...300D is slightly bigger in size?

The performance increase of the 350D over the 300D is a stop better in the noise area. Imagine shooting at ISO 1600 with no significant noise. I wouldn't shoot at 1600 with my 300D. Other improvements are also significant like selectable metering, focusing mode and DIGIC II (faster). See Phil's review at www.dpreview.com before deciding. I would put my money on the 350D even though the grip is smaller.:)

digi~ET said:
2nd hand prices for 350D is 1k...while 300D is 600^^||| lowest i see...

and somehow i like the grip of 300D more than 350D....hahaha......not sure why...300D is slightly bigger in size?

Ya, but you do get a better cam. And it's not as old as the 300D. You get what you pay for.

ya...i did a side by side comparison before....but then mmm... haven't read up all the reviews yet.

so if i getting a 300D / 350D what should i look out for then?

haven decide yet...was think abt it too...but if i getting 350D...have to get it after my summer holiday^^| ...hha.... then by then would be better that i wait for a new edition of 350D so that 350D price drop furthur right? (if the 18 months cycle is correct)

Wah finally upgrading har. ;) You MIA so long den suddenly pop out from nowehere. :bsmilie:

I too second the suggestion by some of the rest to look into the 350D. Its noise handling and image sensor is better than the 300D. :thumbsup:

Things to look for: dead pixels on sensor/LCD, check no dirt or dust on viewfinder, mirror, bring along a lens (if you have one) to test for focusing, try for diff settings (e.g M,Av, Tv) to see if all modes are working, test pop-up flash etc. If it come with batt grip test the grip (ie shutter button, dials) also.

You will find DSLR will have learning curve, but the learning journey is fun and not forgetting the Buy Buy Buy syndrome as well. :sweat:

Good luck finding ur new cam! ^^

Heee....yeah, MIA for 1 yr plus...or more...haha. Working is hectic! and weekend for friends gathering. Now back in sch can frequent at the forum again although sch work piling:sweat:

ya...been considering a long long time...the previous time i was thinking about it.... i feel I am under BBB syndrome, but now I seriously think is not BBB liao^^ hahha.... is learn learn learn. And also muz think if i will find it troublesome for oversea trips...cos the cams n lens will have to follow me up mountain .... river...run around:bsmilie: But .... yeah still decide its time to change:lovegrin:

But i do agree that after i get dslr think i will have BBB syndrome again...cos...before i even get it i have already tot of the additional lens that i would love to have...haha.. 50mm f1.8 prime and 70-300mm zoom lens...hahahhaha

I am aiming for kit set...so should have a kit lens when buying. As for the grip i am not sure about the stuff on grip yet...wats the shutter button and dials...haha^^| only know it can allow the using of AA batt right?

I doubt they'll release a 350D replacement so soon... I mean, what else can they improve on short of releasing a new DiGicIII sensor? The 350D has a lot of functions for the beginner. I'm still enjoying my 350D and even if I upgrade to the 30D, I will not sell the 350D because it's a great cam and I'll gladly use it as a backup. :)

Yup, or maybe they'll do something like that they did with the 20D and release a model using the same hardware only with certain enhancements (like spot metering and enhanced ISO - hopefully this comes out and someone finds a crack to just add some of this using a f/w upgrade/hack). :D

it is normal to have dust on the glass in front of the sensor right? and the...view finder?

Yes, there's bound to be dust, but if the person takes care of the cam, the dust will be hardly visible. If you can see a lot of dust/hair/etc, then the owner obviously doesn't take care of his stuff...

Status
Not open for further replies.