what the best ISO to use for macro?

what iso to use for macro from 100-1000?

Depends on your lighting and aperture and desired shutter speed (same as with all photography). I recommend reading up the newbie stickies in the macro section, as well as the stickies here in the newbies corner. Specifically, learn about exposure.

The general guideline would be.. "As much as possible, you would want to use the lowest possible ISO"
But before that. You will need to ensure that ISO can give you the shutter speed you want or is sufficient enough for your intended purpose.

Different situation calls for different setting. Also depend on your set up.

generally, should stick to 100 only but thats just me :)

so long it can get me the shot I want without getting the final output too noisy, I don't care what's the ISO is at...

That said, the lower ISO the better but it have to be enough for you to get the shot you want

The only guideline is - as low as you can. I'm not that crazy for macro, but I have seen some good work at ISO 400 and even ISO 800.

Blur Shadow said:
The only guideline is - as low as you can. I'm not that crazy for macro, but I have seen some good work at ISO 400 and even ISO 800.

So iso 50 is better than iso 100? Cos I vaguely remember ready smwhere that iso 50 shd not be used unless necessary. Or did i remember wrongly....

So iso 50 is better than iso 100? Cos I vaguely remember ready smwhere that iso 50 shd not be used unless necessary. Or did i remember wrongly....

Depends on your camera sensor. Go read the reviews to see if it is a native ISO or a "expanded" ISO range. Best noise, details, DR, etc, will be at the native ISO of your sensor.

Rashkae said:
Depends on your camera sensor. Go read the reviews to see if it is a native ISO or a "expanded" ISO range. Best noise, details, DR, etc, will be at the native ISO of your sensor.
Got it. Thanks for highlighting.

if you're using off cam flash. stick to 100.

if ambient it depends on available light really. heck these days iso 3200 is quite clean FOR ME.